melodyl611

Sofa Decision - Need Input on Brands, Arm Styles, Back & Seat Cushions

Melody L
8 år siden

My current sofa has a padded rolled arm, an upholstered leg, and a tight, crescent shaped back. I've had it for many years. It's easy to vacuum under (hardwood floors) and I never have to worry about the back cushions looking uneven or being used as floor cushions. But it's time for an update.

What I REALLY want in a sofa, but can't find all in one sofa:

- Tight Back or boxed back cushions.

- Square seat cushions (not T-shaped) with welting

- Tapered wood legs. Tall enough to vacuum under the sofa with a canister vac, but not tall enough to look like mid-century modern legs.

- Welting on the front part of the sofa between the seat cushion and the leg, rather than just a plain panel.

- Simple track or rolled arms.

After looking at hundreds of sofas from multiple companies, I think I've narrowed it down to 4 different sofas, none of which have everything I want.

They are: Smith Brothers 5000 series, Flexsteel That's My Style Custom line, and Ethan Allen Bennett and Kendall models. Does anyone have opinions on these brands/models?

The Kendall is the only sofa with a tight back, but it's very plain, almost too urban-looking for my taste. The only reason it made my list is because of the tight back. The track arm is wider than I would like and the legs are very low - I wouldn't be able to vacuum under it.

The Smith Bros and Ethan Allen Bennett can either have loose back cushions or be semi-attached. The Flexsteel only comes with loose back cushions, but it has a built-in cushion ledge to keep them from sliding down. The Ethan Allen website says the Bennett has a tight back option, but the designer didn't know anything about it and is checking on it for me. One friend says she will only get loose back cushions because she only sits on one side of the sofa and she can turn around and switch the cushion with the other side. Others say get semi-attached so they stay put. Any opinions on the advantages or disadvantages of each?

I really liked the look of the Flexsteel sofa and was almost ready to buy it. I finally realized what I didn't like about it was the T-cushions. I really wish it had an option for square cushions like the Smith Bros and Bennett sofas. I'd even give up having a tight back if it did.

The Smith Bros, Flexsteel, and the Bennett all have the extra welting along the front. The Kendall doesn't.

I'm leaning toward a track arm, simply because I think it's time for something different. The first 3 offer a choice between rolled and track arms. I do like the rolled arm styles on all of the sofas - they don't have the extra roll of padding my current sofa does. I don't like the Kendall track arm as much as the others because it's a lot wider. Which do you think will stay in style longer - track arms or rolled arms?

Is there some other sofa I should be looking it?

(10) kommentarer

• Kelley Dockrey
    8 år siden
    why don't you have the sofa reupholstered?
  • Melody L
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

It wasn't a very expensive sofa to begin with. I did get an estimate many years ago and the cost to reupholster was probably 3 or 4 times what I paid originally. Plus, it's almost 30 years old and I'm so tired of it I need a change!

• Avery
    8 år siden

Vanguard Furniture may have some options you like.

These below are their Summerton, Stanton and Fairgrove.

• PRO
    Vicki Bergelt Interior Design
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I always tell my clients that unless its a family heirloom - reupholstering most of the time doesn't make sense. (labor and fabric costs are expensive and with a sofa you will need a minimum of 15 yards, etc.)

• Avery
    8 år siden

As another option, perhaps something like a "Design Your Own" sofa offered by companies like Hickory White and Sherrill may interest you.

Vanguard Furniture offers a similar program (as shown above).

http://www.hickorywhite.com/design_your_own.php

http://www.sherrillfurniture.com/9600-9700-design-your-own.php

https://www.vanguardfurniture.com/pages/MakeItYours

• Melody L
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Thanks Vicki and Avery -Looked the websites and Wesley Hall looks interesting. Will also look into the other suggestions from both you and Avery.

• katinparadise
    8 år siden

Melody, have you looked at the Flexsteel Digby? I've had one for 7 years and love it! The height is perfect for vacuuming under, the padding in the track arms has held up beautifully, as have the cushions. It has a tight back and welting. I believe it's available in either a 2 or 3 cushion seat. It has a lifetime warranty on the frame and the steel frame makes it light and easy to move around. Here's a link: http://www.flexsteel.com/home-furniture/products/sofas-and-sectionals/fabric-sofas/sku/5966-30

• Melody L
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

@katinparadise- Yes that was one of the first sofas I looked at, but my husband didn't like the arms on it. We also looked a the Dana with rolled arms, but in the end neither of us really liked the welting on the back cushions of the Digby and the Dana. I like the back of the Dempsey more, but it has T-cushions, like the That's My Style model with track arms. Does anyone have opinions on Thomasville brand? I've seen a lot of negative reviews about them so I don't want to waste my time looking if they aren't worth it. I know their parent company was in trouble a while back and it was recommended not to order from them. Their Barton sofa looks close to what I want but I'll have to sit on it to see how it feels.

• User
    8 år siden
    O. Henry House make lovely sofas in all styles, that's why they're custom. Any good design shop should be able to source for you.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.