stefanie_bradie

1910 New England home: new windows? what company? repair the original?

Stefanie Bradie
8 år siden

We have an old home in Massachusetts which we have improved over the years. It has the original windows and we are thinking of replacing them with more energy efficient windows but it is a tremendous cost and have heard horror stories from friends who have bought new windows and now see their new windows deteriorating. Would you replace the windows and if so what type or what company would you use? If you have done this share your experience please!

(3) kommentarer

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år siden

we live in an old MA house as well. sadly the original windows were all gone but 2, a previous owner had replaced them with aluminum combinations.

as we live in a now historic district, we were limited in our options. we went with Pella architect series, they are wood all the way through and the muntins are between the layers of glass, not grilles. our house is right on the sidewalk so looks was very important.

they were hellishly expensive and the wood means upkeep, but they are very snug in winter and look great. i still have the original single pane windows in the kitchen and on the turn of the backstairs, those i need to get exterior storms made for.

have you considered having storms made, if your windows are still working well?

• miacometlady
    8 år siden

I grew up with storm windows, and I am sure the younger generations have no idea what we are talking about. Nicole Curtis of HGTV Rehab Addict always manages to fix her period home's windows and uses storms. She always chaffs and wails when she sees aluminum windows stuck in an old home. I would follow @nnigrt. I would consult with a firm that does historical renovations. They will give you an appraisal of what it would take to make the windows functional versus installing historically correct modern windows.

• PRO
    Custom Built Windows and Doors
    8 år siden

We actually design and custom-make storm windows as well as regular high quality glass windows. Call and we'll help you out if you haven't already made a decision - I know you posted this a while ago! http://hubs.ly/H01hyGC0

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.