claudia_luna57

Living room accessories: wall art, rug and cushions

Claudia
8 år siden

Hi, I've posted some time ago asking for advice on my living room. Since then, I've painted the walls on a warm grey trying to bring together the wood (floor and furniture) and the black of the piano; and I decluttered the place. The room is divided into 2 sections, a seating area with tv and a piano area. I can't change the furniture, so that has to stay. The plan is to replace the sofas hopefully by next year.

This time, I'm hoping you could advise on the following points, please note my budget is very limited!:

- What could I put on the long wall, the space above the 2 chairs? I've already got a canvas on the other half (above the sofa). Also, the canvas above the piano was only a temp solution, I don't think it really goes well with the rest of the room.

- Rugs: I've got a shaggy plain lime-green in the tv area

under the coffee table, but wonder if it'd be better to have a larger one in there? Also, I need a rug for the piano area, but I'm not sure if it should be the same or could I go for something different? I attached a few ideas

- Curtains: these were quite expensive so it'll be pain to replace them. But if I could, what could you recommend, plain green, stripes or patterned?

Thank you!

(11) kommentarer

• minnie101
    8 år siden

Hi Claudia. I think I would personally add another colour. I love raspberry with green but can see you have duck egg in the art so maybe go for this, you could even add just a tiny splash of the red. I can't find great images but a few pics just showing the colour combo. The green rug looks fine but personally would add a larger rug so the feet of the chairs sit on it, probably in a pattern. The fabric of your curtain matches the room. If you were to replace I'd go for similar but maybe a full length curtain. Did you have the same curtains at the patio door before?? I'd get a rug in a different style/pattern for the piano end, probably with duck egg if you add some duck egg cushions on the sofa. The art over the piano looks fine picking up all the grey. If you like the idea of adding duck egg I'll see if I can find anything. Next had a great piece of art that would match your room but they seem to no longer to sell it!

Claudia thanked minnie101
  • minnie101
    8 år siden

Other images

es

• PRO
    Rugs.ie
    8 år siden

Green is a nature colour and really good to drag the outdoors in.

• Claudia
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Thanks minnie101!
    I see what you mean by adding other colour and I think you had already suggested this in a previous post. I like the blue and green idea! It's only that I'm afraid of introducing too many colours - I feel like I need to take into account the black of the piano as one of my colours, plus all the tones from the wooden furniture and floor... am I wrong?

Yes, the same curtains go in the patio doors, this is where I got confused about the rug choice for that section of the room with the pattern on the curtains (leaves) and the stripes from the chairs... should I go then for a plain rug?

For the long wall, what would you suggest? I was tempted to do a picture gallery, but it's quite a big space and I feel like I need something with more impact... what do you think?

• cavgirl
    8 år siden
    If I remember correctly black does not qualify as a colour (it is simply the absence of light) so you don't need to worry about 'counting' it. Having said that, echoing the black of the piano elsewhere is a good idea, but it doesn't need much- a picture frame would do it. Similarly I think the wood here simply counts as a background neutral so again you can disregard it- provided you respect the undertone of the wood. However, you've chosen green as your main colour so that isn't an issue. If you want to add duck egg as an accent, go for it! Another option would be purple or red as suggested above, it's what your prefer and what ties in with your existing things.
    Claudia thanked cavgirl
  • Claudia
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks cavgirl! Your explanation about colours makes a lot of sense, thank you. Yes, I never thought of adding duck egg as another colour, but thanks to minnie101's comment I'm quite warming to the idea now. I'll have a look at rugs using that colour.

I'm still struggling to visualise frames/paintings for the long wall. Based on the canvas I already have above the sofa, do I need to balance the other side with a similar canvas, or could I go with something different in size and colour? Maybe a few smaller frames grouped together?

• Chevan Chuenchomboon
    8 år siden

You could put another painting like the one you have also, or leave it be, ist nice and clean.

• PRO
    Abstract Landscapes
    7 år siden

I love the greens you have used, I always think you can't have enough art, especially if it is personal to you, somewhere you have been on holiday or a place special to you. which is why i often have clients asking for commission prints. but here are also some that may work

Art Prints for sale at...

• PRO
    Anonymous
    7 år siden

Hello Claudia,

Speaking from an art on walls point of view, I'm loving the challenge, so I present a few choice pieces for the wall above your two armchairs that I think will be a happy compliment to your existing decor and furnishings:

Hicke Ison · Mere information

Butler at your Service · Mere information

Life on Mars Yellow · Mere information

Otat Ayere · Mere information

As regards the picture above your piano, the colours work well with your room but you don't like the subject, right? If that's the case, this consideration will have to be a decision based on what subject(s) you really like or are quite sentimental to, as opposed to colour matching an art piece just to fit in with the rest of the room.

If you do play the piano, musicians are very sentimental people, so you want something above the piano that you can "feel and connect to" when you're sitting there playing. It has to be sentimental to you, irrespective of what it is and what colour it may be, and not to consider it as part of the rooms overall decor.

If there is anything I can be of further help with, feel free to contact me through my Houzz profile or website:

http://thejonescollection.gallery

All the best with whatever you decide to choose for your wall spaces.

• PRO
    Anna Siodelska
    7 år siden

Hi

As for the art work, you could have a look at my oversized wooden clocks. These are not cheap but would add lots of charisma to your lovely room. Each of the clocks is a handmade functional piece of 3D Art and is an interesting alternative to paintings/pictures:

There is plenty more available on my website:

Peak Art Clocks

Thanks a lot

Anna

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.