diymama2two

Accent wall in girl bedroom

DIYMama2Two
8 år siden
Hi! I bought this bedding for my girl's new room. I like it, but it's kind of busy... Not in love with it. Hubs wants an accent wall on the big blank wall. Here are some options:
- solid color with white polka dots (what color?)
- solid color with some kind of vinyl appliqué (flowers? What color should the wall be?)
- some kind of very light wide chevron paint design, like white and light gray
- return the bedding and start over

Would love to hear your ideas!

(51) kommentarer

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år siden

(and if you put the nightstand in the corner, moving the bed out, it will be much easier for her to make the bed in the morning)

• DIYMama2Two
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Lol she is 2 and can barely talk. No she is not choosing her own bedroom.

• hayleydaniels
    8 år siden

I don't think the bedding is too busy either. It would be very cute with a more colorful room. Choose two of your favorite colors from the bedding to paint the room. I paint my bedrooms two colors going one color on two adjoining walls and the other on the other, and love the effect. One good way not to have color overwhelm you is to go a couple of shades lighter than say the hot pink. Be sure and buy paint samples and either small pieces of sheet rock [sold in the paint section of big box stores for wall repair] or foam core boards to test it on to make sure you like the colors.

Client Home - Gull Lake, MI · Mere information

Bedrooms · Mere information

Bedrooms · Mere information

Colorful Mid Century Modern Residence · Mere information

• Judy Mishkin
    8 år siden

oh, i mean narrow it down to 2 or 3 and let her point, not us. she has to live in there. making choices from early on is the best way to learn to make choices as an adult.

• DIYMama2Two
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks for the parenting advice but I've got this. Really looking for decorating advice. Hubs is set on wanting to do something with the accent wall. He already spent 2 days removing the texture and making it perfectly smooth.

• Carolanne
    8 år siden

I think you've made a good start on the furnishings, but I agree with nnigrt. You need a chest of drawers or something along those lines. As for color, paint the whole room any of the colors in the bedspread. One wall will leave the room looking unfinished. Remember, it's only paint and not hard to change if you don't like it or get tired of it. I would also consider making a headboard or buying one.

• User
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I like the quilt and yes paint the walls. I would consider painting all the walls instead of an accent wall. Choose a color from the bedding-perhaps the light blue would be really pretty and paint all the walls. Don't go too dark with the colors...keep the colors light-medium. Then find accessories in either orange, pink, blue, or all the colors and carry them throughout the room. Find frames, lamps, and pictures for the walls. Also, consider adding some panels to the windows to soften and help carry the bright and cheery colors throughout the space. Have fun. Loved decorating my daughter's room when she was little. Hope the pictures below help.

• Rina
    8 år siden

You could go with the brightness of the bedding by having a feature wall and simple graphic shapes in the various colours. I would also recommend carrying the colour around the room, but in a paler version than the feature wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år siden

I would paint the one solid wall and place the bed on that wall also maybe with a colorful headboard. Then bring the color to the other walls with a selection of window covering maybe using the bedding pattern for shades or drapes.

• Najeebah
    8 år siden
    I like option 3. just make sure the chevrons are indeed wiiide or the room will be dizzying lol.
    if you want to carry the colour scheme into the walls, try the wide gray and white chevrons with narrow colours between.
  • Barbara Almandarz
    8 år siden

Love the bed cover. If you are worried that it looks too busy, consider how you will like more movement with pattern/dots on a wall. I'd paint the walls a solid color which pleases you. You'll be in that room a lot considering she's only 2. Or, what color does she gravitate towards. Is she a pink or purple kind of girl? Or is orange her thing. Even at 2 she has favorites, like when she chooses what clothes she likes to wear. Because the bed cover has such bold colors, I'd paint the walls a soft color, adding a darker shade in the curtains. Would you consider putting the bed on the big wall, and putting a dresser and/or shorter bookcases under the windows? It's always nice to look out the windows when in bed. that corner between the windows is a great place for our chair. Enjoy!

• Amanda Connolly
    8 år siden

I think let her choose a color from the quilt (preferably one easy to paint over if she changes her mind) and then live with it for a few days. Then, add decorations like stickers or dots if she wants :)

• aahleek
    8 år siden

I would say if you want to do a busy wall, get a more solid bedspread. I love the idea of an accent wall, but maybe do a different color on the other walls? Stark white and a bright accent color might look off. Polka dots are great. Stick on wall decor wont last too long, and as soon as she figures out how to take them off they will be rearranged.

• DIYMama2Two
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Rina I love that idea. Yes we were planning to paint the whole room, not just the one wall - we just need to figure out what to paint on the one accent wall that hubs is absolutely set on doing. That is not optional. Lol. Yes we are aware the room needs furniture/headboard/drapery. I'm not sure how I accidentally gave the impression to some that I thought the room was complete except for the accent wall. No. We are just starting.
  • Rina
    8 år siden

I'm so glad you like it.

• leelee
    8 år siden

I'm always intrigued by the fact that people that know nothing about decorating (by their own admission) always want an accent wall. How does that happen?

• leelee
    8 år siden

Pull the bed away from the wall on the left and center it under the window. So hard to make a bed that's jammed up against a wall.

• leelee
    8 år siden

Paint the night stand white to match the small rocker. Add a lamp to the night stand.

• er612
    8 år siden

Bedding is not busy at all. If you do an accent wall, I'd just leave it solid. Does she like teal? Below are some options, one of which is a single painted wall. If you choose the lighter color, you can easily add in other colors without looking crazy (ex. a cheap, used headboard painted raspberry). I agree with moving the bed out from against the wall. Actually, I'd move the head of it to the potential accent wall.

• DIYMama2Two
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Wow er612 I love those ideas! Tough to choose!

• er612
    8 år siden

If you paint all the walls light teal, you could add pink curtains (instead of a pink headboard. If you paint an accent wall, you could add matching curtains.

• er612
    8 år siden

Or if you paint the walls pale pink, you could hang orange curtains.

(I'll post it again with painted walls tomorrow).

• Rina
    8 år siden

Such pretty teals, er612.

Leelee, I think people want accent walls because they like 'em. I do sometimes, sometimes not. I think most kids like 'em.

DIYMama2Two thanked Rina
  • er612
    8 år siden

I usually love pink walls in kids rooms but I really love teal with your bedding. I think the accent wall works because you can't see it unless you're in the room and seeing the space in its entirety. Have you considered different sheets with a second pillowcase and sham? The single sham can work but I really think you need two pillows behind it. You'll get two with a new sheet set. Plus, I think the bedding needs colorful sheets. The sheet sets below are from Target. The curtains are from Wayfair (except the white ones, which are my least favorite, are from IKEA - just wanted to give a comparison).

• sandradclark
    8 år siden

Any color from the bedding works. do not use any grey.

Tangerine Pleated Shades, (72 in.x72 in.) · Mere information

Handmade Cushion, Funky Yellow Elephant · Mere information

Our Friend Robot Cushion · Mere information

• sandradclark
    8 år siden

Also check Great Big Canvas for decals (removable). They often have 40-50% off sales

• maventreehugger
    8 år siden

Paint a tree mural in the corner with the bed and paint a fence as a headboard on the wall, then put up artwork on the accent wall or set up a nail-string and clips display of her artwork on that wall.

if you are in a cold climate don't use Blue on her walls (even if it's in style), also what direction is the room facing? Using tried and true advice about color and direction can make a huge difference in the felling of a room.

I hope you have fun!

• J Lee
    8 år siden

I think that it isn't to busy. Try painting the walls with a color that is also on the bedspread.

• cparfc438
    8 år siden
    A mostly chalkboard wall, whether painted on or else just a very large chalkboard with frame painted in one of the bedspread colors. Maybe a cork strip or detachable display string (high up for now) to hang her masterpieces
  • amyshka_s
    8 år siden

Hi, some of these comments are crazy! But to actually answer your question... I think the bedding is nice and if you're willing to work with it then keep it. A pale aqua/mint wall over the whole room will go perfectly and also go with most other colours including the natural toned chair you have. With white curtains (at some point) that go down to the floor, it won't look too busy over the bed at all. It is really hard finding a pattern ( like polka dots) that will be the right scale to work with the chevron pattern bedding but if it were my daughters room, I'd consider a cherry blossom (or similar) decal down the left part of the wall - ie on the left side of the window. It will be removed enough from the bedding that it won't clash but will still have impact. :) my two cents.

• PRO
    I brake for garage sales
    8 år siden
    I like Karen Dumont's recs the most... with furniture rearrangement, painting the walls all one color, and adding curtains to soften and add depth and dimension to the room. I would paint the walls all one color and. I do not recommend Chevron on the wall since chevron is on the bed spread. The bedspread actually gives you lots of options for color and will be the centerpiece of the room so the walls don't have to be. I say keep the wall color fun and transitional (the best would be if the color could age with your daughter). Another idea is a bright rug at the foot or side of the bed (depending on where the bed ends up) for more color and dimension (this may take the pressure off the walls). Vinyl wall stickers are also a great idea. If you go this route I would suggest larger stencils since you will be the one to take them down eventually and small pieces end up looking cluttered and messy. Most of all... Have fun!!
  • mdcathy
    8 år siden

Have you thought of doing the polka dots on removable disks using velcro and choosing some prints similar to those in the bedspread---then you can always remove them or change them around. I like the colors in the bedspread. Valspar has paint samples you can buy ---that would be a good way to do the dots if you choose that route---won't have to buy too much paint that way.

• Geneviève
    8 år siden

Girl's Bedroom · Mere information

• PRO
    Pam Garcia
    8 år siden

I haven't read through all the comments so I apologize if this has already been said but, I would move the bed centered coming out from under the wall to created more of a focal point. Also, a solid color pillow or two would make more impact than the matching one.

• sartpm
    8 år siden

I think if you are not crazy about the bedding and it is returnable then return it and keep looking. It is cute but why do a room all around something you don't like that much? Let it be cute in someone else's house. Find something you are in love with.

• Gayle Sabin
    8 år siden
    Sherwin-Williams has this great app that will give you the paint colors from any photo.
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/color-selection-tools/chip-it/
  • Asa O
    8 år siden
    I personally don't consider the bed too, "busy". However, you may wish to keep in mind not to style the bedroom too much 2yr oldish if the girl is going to stay in this bedroom for more than a few years, I would stick to something realitivly simple, but perhaps some sort of mural of an old French/Italian town, it would look good for a girl of any age. Best of luck!
  • thickskin
    8 år siden

In the end you will choose the right colour. You are a great Mom.

• PRO
    Sambor Stone, LTD.
    8 år siden

You have a lot of great advise to choose from. A mixture of solids in Sheets, drapery and wall color will help with the busyness of the quilt, though it's perfect for your little girls room. Again, many of my ideas have already been expressed above, you have the best information now to make it your own! Good luck!

• sailorleigh
    8 år siden

No a 2 year old should not have a choice in the colour of her room, typically they pick a horrible bright colour that decreases the value of the home, sorry.

I think the issue is the room needs drapes and better furniture placement, a proper bed or at least a headboard then it wont feel so contrasted against the white? walls. I like Genevieve's pick for wall colour and furniture, please place the bed on the middle of the opposite wall it will look so much better.

DIYMama2Two thanked sailorleigh
  • sailorleigh
    8 år siden

No a 2 year old should not have a choice in the colour of her room, typically they pick a horrible bright colour that decreases the value of the home, sorry.

I think the issue is the room needs drapes and better furniture placement, a proper bed or at least a headboard then it wont feel so contrasted against the white? walls. I like Genevieve's pick for wall colour and furniture, please place the bed on the middle of the opposite wall it will look so much better.

• hollywaterfall
    8 år siden

Love the bedding. Not too busy but I would do a solid color on all the walls rather than a chevron which I think WOULD make it seem busy with the patterning. Paint the room a slightly darker or lighter shade from one of the comforter colors. My personal favorite is a dark teal or a liight orange peachy color. You could give her the choice after painting a section of each of say 4 colors (pink/blue/green/orange) but really, if she is two then there will be plenty of time for her to have "her own choices" and redo her room at a later time.

• suezbell
    8 år siden

While this might seem busy to some, to a child it would more likely seem bright and cheerful. Keep the walls a solid neutral color to keep the color from overwhelming you.

As to the bed, you could add a couple of pillows with solid color pillow shams and put the brightly colored one matching the spread beneath them when the bed is made. You could get four of those plastic blocks to raise the bed, both to get the bedspread off the floor and add a solid color bed skirt to match the two new pillow shams . You might then need to get a sturdy Rubbermaid step stool for her to climb into bed (kept at the foot of the bed or the side less likely to be the side used getting out of bed). Children usually have no objection to climbing into bed if they are old enough to be able to safely slide out of bed without using the stool, and having the bed higher would make it less likely that it would be a place to play -- likely keeping it cleaner.

You might consider a retro style bookcase headboard (such as from The Mattress Factory) for the bed and/or a corner cabinet between the windows, unless you're going to move the bedside table to that side.

Unless the dark bedside cabinet is an antique or family heirloom/treasure, you might consider painting it white like the child's rocker. You might also consider a white toy box/blanket chest for the foot of the bed. Perhaps matching decals for these two items representing you child's interest (such as favorite Disney character) -- something she picks out from the selection you could accept -- would bring the room together.

You might consider looking for posters to frame to create the wall you want rather than investing in painting the wall only to find you might not like that much color -- especially since you already consider the spread a bit too busy.

I'd put solid white mini blinds in each window and wait about deciding to add any curtains or drapes until after you live with the rest of whatever you decide to do for a time -- don't match a spread you don't particularly like only to change it later and need to change the curtains or drapes, too.

[ Do you sew? You could sew a single swath cloth (half the width of the bed) to the center of the bedspread the length of it, perhaps matching two new pillow shams and bed skirt or reflecting your child's interest. I'd try just pinning it to the spread initially to see if it's "right".]

Edit to add: If you sew or can find them in stores, cloth sculptures might suffice rather than permanent paint on the walls to get the decorated feel you want -- perhaps a single large multi-colored balloon w/basket (think balloon ride) or smaller balloons or flowers, watermelon slices, etc., adding holiday ones on another wall decorate for the season (think holiday egg or snowman or witches hat or pumpkin shaped potholders etc.). You could use removable double sided tape to hang them.

• PRO
    Belletetes Inc.
    8 år siden

I like the green in the quilt.........I would do all of the walls and then accent the room by painting any furniture pieces (dresser, rocker, shelving etc.) the different colors from the quilt. Also, find fabric that matches the colors in one of the patterns in the quilt for window treatments.......maybe roman shades?? I would not add polka dots to the wall........it would just look very busy.

• netska09
    8 år siden

I love the quilt actually. I think it's beautiful. I wouldn't do the polka dots or the chevron as it doesn't seem to go with the bedding because the patterns wouldn't match. But I do like the idea of flower decals. Or these from Target are cute: http://www.target.com/p/xl-decal-doilies-dry-erase/-/A-15420927#prodSlot=medium_1_30

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

Love the riot of color on the bedding. First the bed must be centered - will it fit on the wall in your last photo?

If budget is tight, make a headboard out of beadboard from home improvement store and some trim as I did in this bedroom. It comes in white but you can paint it if you wish. Buy a used nightstand in similar height as the one you have and paint them both the same color to unify. Add lamps. Paint the walls a color that your daughter will love to live with, pulling the color from the quilt.

• kandamom
    8 år siden

I like the bedding, and the idea of an accent wall. I used an accent wall in my daughter's bedroom because she wanted a dark teal color on her walls to match one of the colors in her quilt. We used dark teal on one wall and a neutral color on the other walls. When her color preferences change, hopefully we will only have to paint one wall.

• Ciara Leahy
    8 år siden
    Cut out circles with glitter paper paint the walls white or cream or pink and place circles on accent wall this makes it very easy to remove use blue tac or tape when ur daughter gets fed up of them you can simply remove them and won't be worried that it cost u so much
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.