laneypo

I hate my backsplash

Jenn Robinson
8 år siden
sidst ændret:8 år siden

My kitchen backsplash was installed today and I think it clashes with my bianco Romano granite. The samples at the design center looked so different. This is the first house I've had built and I have invested so much money and can't afford to change it now. Any suggestions or ideas? Should I start saving to have it replaced once house closes? Is it possible to paint the backsplash?

(47) kommentarer

• Mary G
    8 år siden
    I think it's fine.
    Jenn Robinson thanked Mary G
  • Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

It just looks like the creams and Browns in backsplash have almost a pink tone while the granite had Greys and warmer creams. Thanks for the comments though. I'm new at this and have no idea what looks good.

• tgb1
    8 år siden

On my monitor it goes together just fine...

Jenn Robinson thanked tgb1
  • holbrook1
    8 år siden
    I'm building a house for the first time as well. Every decision I make I nitpick the same way you are. I think it looks fine, and guests who come in wont even take a second look at it matching ! Beautiful kitchen!
    Jenn Robinson thanked holbrook1
  • Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

After spending HOURS on this site and Pinterest, you'd think I'd get it right. :) you're so right and I have second guessed every decision so far. @holbrook1

• leelee
    8 år siden

I think it technically matches if you're looking at a 4 inch square sample but the big picture shows that matching isn't the whole story.

Add some plates on stands to break up the long expanse of counter/backsplash. Draw the eye away from the backsplash.

Jenn Robinson thanked leelee
  • Rhonda Satterfield
    8 år siden
    It looks just fine. Once you have other items on your counter, you may grow to like it more. Don't waste your time second guessing yourself at this point. You did a great job!
    Jenn Robinson thanked Rhonda Satterfield
  • leelee
    8 år siden

Here's what I was trying to post to put on the counter and break the line between the counter and the backsplash.

• Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

@leelee I love this idea!!! And I was actually planning on bringing out some blue or turquoise as my accent colors so that first plate would be perfect. Thank you!!!

• Darzy
    8 år siden

If you really, really HATE it take it off because every time you walk into the kitchen you'll groan. Even if you just leave sheetrock (and maybe a washable wallpaper backsplash) or no backsplash a while. But, I do agree that color-wise it looks fine. Accessories will break it up.

Jenn Robinson thanked Darzy
  • Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

It just took so much away from the granite. I was in love with the bianco Romano and espresso cabinets until that backsplash was installed. It just changed the entire look. Friends said I should have chosen a cream colored or white subway tile. Now they tell me!

• Darzy
    8 år siden

Lol...yes laneypo...NOW they tell ya. If you loved the kitchen before the backsplash...take it off. I'll be honest. I'm not loving it either.

• Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

If I take it off, how expensive is it to replace and what do you suggest? The subway tile? What color?

• jkm6712
    8 år siden

I think it looks fine - and I love your cabinets. What kind of wood are they?

Jenn Robinson thanked jkm6712
  • Ann
    8 år siden

I like it. I think you'd have a hard time finding a better choice.

Jenn Robinson thanked Ann
  • Darzy
    8 år siden

Gosh...I hate to be the odd man out. I agree with the others that it looks "fine" but I think "fine or okay" isn't "great" which is what your vision was. I agree with you that the backsplash is demanding attention but the counter is really the star. Whoever installed the backsplash is a pro as the installation is perfect. I'd tell the installer how much you appreciate their beautiful work, and it's not their fault but you are unhappy with your tile choice. Then, bat your eyelashes, compliment profusely, and ask how much to remove and install a new backsplash. Something simple with "no" grout lines. I found a photo of a backsplash I like for your space. A creamy color that you find from your counter would be nice. You'll need to put the tile next to your counter to be sure. The big box stores will have subway tile at a reasonable price so it's just the installation fee to worry about. PS...it doesn't have to be expensive glass tile. A creamy white that complements your counter. Let the granite be the star.

1840 Stone Home Renovation · Mere information

• PRO
    Handyplus
    8 år siden
    you can change the color of the grout , remove the grout and try a different color to accent
    Jenn Robinson thanked Handyplus
  • westie Nellie
    8 år siden
    I think it is very nice. I think once you have your coffee pot, or canisters, it will all blend in. I would go with black as my accent or even a bright orange. Good luck!
    Jenn Robinson thanked westie Nellie
  • Darzy
    8 år siden

So far the response is.. "It's fine." "It looks okay". "Add accessories". These words are code for it isn't great. I'm with you lanepo......bite the bullet and replace. It happens in design...mistakes that hurt the budget happens. Don't settle for "it's fine".

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 år siden

I would change it now. I will add the 45 degree install made it worse. Get rid of it, drywall, and WAIT to tile until after a move in. Simply get the entire thing cleaned up and painted....and then take your time with a different selection. Far easier now than later, and tile install is a relatively simple two day task. Bite the bullet, don't waste money trying to tart it up. If it's the worst mistake you ever made in your life, it's a LUCKY life.

Jenn Robinson thanked JAN MOYER
  • Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you all for the responses. Jmk6712, the cabinets are called TimberlakeTahoe espresso.

• Ann
    8 år siden

Laneypo, what are your thoughts after a day's worth of responses? This dilemma has really surprised me. One of my big pet peeves are backsplashes that are too busy or the wrong color and I think this one is really nice and I do seriously think you won't find another that coordinates better. Also, even with the 45 degree install, it's very simple and plain. I actually don't agree that comments saying it's fine, looks OK and add accessories are code for it isn't great. I think most are saying it's just what a backsplash should be and when you move in and add your things to the kitchen, you won't even notice it, which is the perfect backsplash! You want your granite to take center stage and, in this kitchen, that's exactly the case. I think your backsplash is the perfect supporting cast, with just the right color to work nicely with the granite (in every picture). Anyway, just want to make sure you understand that one opinion is, if you replace it, I actually think you'll regret that and later wish you would have stuck with the choice that did coordinate and looks simple and perfect.

In my house we bought new 10 years ago and where we made all the same kinds of choices you're making, the choices that are simple and plain (like your backsplash) are the choices I like 10 years later. The more adventurous choices I made back then, I've grown tired of and I'm busy replacing as budget allows.

When anything new is added or installed, I find you just stare at it for a week or so and you see nothing else in the house. Please let that week pass and see if you don't even notice your backsplash anymore, which would indicate to me it is the perfect backsplash. You'll continue to "notice" it if it's off, but I think this choice was a great one and no one will ever notice or remember your backsplash because it fits right in to a very nice kitchen!

• Ann
    8 år siden

One more comment (lol), I see no pink at all in that backsplash. Also, please start at the top of the thread and reread all the comments. I just did that and I'd say 80% of those that commented agree it works nicely. I can't tell you how many people that post on Houzz with new backsplashes would have loved that type of a response. Backsplash choices can really go wrong, but not this one. I run across Darzy in Houzz discussions all the time and agree with her great comments nearly always, but this time, I'll have to respectfully agree to disagree:)

• Dave C.
    8 år siden

We are in final stages of building a home, and the same thing happened to us. For me, the pictures I took of our kitchen did not necessarily display the dilemma as well as in plain daylight, so it is hard for me to say if yours is in the same category of "clash" as our situation. For us, the samples of both the granite and back splash tile simply did not do true justice to the larger picture, once they were installed. The granite was much more grey than we anticipated, and the back splash was much more brown. Independently, they looked great with the cabinets, but together it looked "off" and busy. The thing is, you are building a beautiful new home, and while everything won't be "perfect", if you are like most people the kitchen will be used more than most rooms and is your gathering place. If you don't love it, you will think of it every time you enter your kitchen. Replacing it is expensive, because they will have to cut the sheet rock off (removing the tile will damage it excessively). BUT, it will never be cheaper to replace than it is right now. Bring a bunch of samples home and you will be able to pick something that really does go well. When we had ours replaced, I got the builder and tile store to talk and they got me the tile at cost and cut me a deal on the labor. We went with a solid color glass subway tile, and now it looks awesome. It looks beautiful without competing with the granite. Still expensive, but now when my wife and walk into the kitchen we are so relieved that it looks the way we had originally envisioned.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck, and enjoy the new home!

Jenn Robinson thanked Dave C.
  • dapperdannybaseball
    8 år siden
    I think it would look great once your moved in and decorated.
    Jenn Robinson thanked dapperdannybaseball
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 år siden
    I think it looks fine. as a visitor in your home I would not look at my husband and roll my eyes.
    but I agree, my standard is not yours.
    the question is, how much does it cost to change it now versus a year from now. if it's the same and your budget is tight, I would choose to leave it for a year.
    Jenn Robinson thanked Judy Mishkin
  • shivece
    8 år siden
    I think it is one of the prettier combinations I have seen. I'm not a fan of busy and I like it on the diagonal. I also don't think it takes away from your gorgeous granite. As many people have said, what you think is what really matters. Put some stuff on the counter, get a cup of coffee and sit with it for a longish while. Then, if you really don't like it, get rid of it.
    Jenn Robinson thanked shivece
  • leelee
    8 år siden

Try the plates before ripping out your backsplash.

• PRO
    Ceramiche Tile & Stone, Inc
    8 år siden
    Colors look good, maybe add some metal or glass accents that have finished edges and epoxy on top of the wall tile. You could also add a dark rail or molding to frame it all in .
    Jenn Robinson thanked Ceramiche Tile & Stone, Inc
  • Darzy
    8 år siden

@Ann..we do agree most of the time! And, I agree with you that it looks "fine". But laneypo HATES it and I agree with laneypo that it isn't perfect. I want laneypo to be happy and LOVE her kitchen. (smile). I'm in Jan Moyer's and Dave C's camp this time.

BTW...it won't be as pricey to install because you won't have the extra labor in cutting each tile on the diagonal on the bottom and top of the backsplash. Pretty straight forward layout. How about pricing new tile and installation cost before your final, final decision?

• Ann
    8 år siden

Lol Darzy:). I know, we usually do agree!

Laneypo, do you really hate it? That's what the title of the dilemma says but I'm wondering if all the comments saying the color is good and it looks nice have swayed your opinion? I suppose if you hate it, you should definitely replace it, but I'm still stumped by how you could hate it:)

• tfitz1006
    8 år siden

I think it's really pretty and classic.

Jenn Robinson thanked tfitz1006
  • drbarb03
    8 år siden
    I think it's gorgeous. Love the diagonal layout. It will be stunning as a backdrop to your turquoise accents if you follow through with that plan. (As a disclaimer, my tastes tend toward tiles such as this rather than glaringly shiny, solid subway). But it's not my opinion that matters.
    Jenn Robinson thanked drbarb03
  • Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

This is my first time choosing so many items and when the cabinets and granite were installed, I loved how the bianco Romano had soft Greys, creams and details of the espresso. I was so excited but when I walked in and saw the backsplash, it just seemed so off. Maybe it's because I thought it would be closer to creams in granite or maybe my expectation was different. I honestly don't know what it should look like or what would look nice. I am so appreciative of all the comments and advice. Thank you all so much. Still no clue what to do next. Lol

• Ann
    8 år siden

Keep us posted. We'll all be anxious to find out the outcome and see pics of the finished kitchen:)

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 år siden

If you decide to remove it, it will tear up the wallboard behind the backsplash, but the good news is that, when the new wallboard is installed it doesn't have to be taped and finished since it is going to be covered with tile anyway. That will save a bit of money. If you don't love it, it is easier to change now than later.

Jenn Robinson thanked Brickwood Builders, Inc.
  • sillycannoli
    8 år siden
    I would change it to something plain. My rule is only one thing with a pattern.
    Jenn Robinson thanked sillycannoli
  • retroearth
    8 år siden

It's already installed. I wouldn't rip it out until you have a clear idea of what you want.

Your kitchen is not my style but if it came with the house I bought I wouldn't change it. Sometimes "ok" is enough.

Jenn Robinson thanked retroearth
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    8 år siden
    The backsplash will "disappear" once you put things with color on the counter
    Jenn Robinson thanked Staged for Perfection
  • PRO
    Jane Richardson Mack
    8 år siden

Don't know where you are located, but if you were in the Bay Area, Id suggest installing several Verre Eglomise (reverse glass gilded) panels, placed on top of the granite, maybe framed in the same dark espresso color as the cabinets. could be diamond shaped, and any imagery that turns you on, pattern or antique looking silver leaf, or??? Eglomise is my medium, it is currently being used for kitchen back splash, as well as powder room walls, tub surround etc. Good luck to you!

Jenn Robinson thanked Jane Richardson Mack
  • toriat
    8 år siden
    I think it's nice. I see nothing wrong with it. To rip it out will be wasteful. Live with it for a few years if you really hate it it can be changed later.
    Jenn Robinson thanked toriat
  • PRO
    Allison Paladino Interior Design & Collections
    8 år siden

It looks beautiful! I will likely grow on you after a while!

Jenn Robinson thanked Allison Paladino Interior Design & Collections
  • toriat
    8 år siden
    I like it. I would not change a thing.
    Jenn Robinson thanked toriat
  • Jenn Robinson
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

It actually like I after I added bowls and decor (as suggested in previous posts). Thanks again for all the comments :)

• samahabdo
    7 år siden
    I know this is an old post but I really need your input guys this is my first home and kitchen and I hate my backsplash, any ideas
  • User
    6 år siden

For me, the backsplash in general looks ugly. I think your instinct is right, the backsplash looks unnecessary, and tacky.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.