itsjacobkorn

What to do with this table? Ideas welcome

itsjacobkorn
8 år siden
Hi
I inherited this side table from a great-aunt. She used it as a desk. Pretty sure it is oak and roughly 60-80 years old.
It's not a worth much, and i find it stylistically slightly incoherent. I quite like the table legs, but not the piece that connects them. It has some slight damage: a few scratches, & lock is broken.
I would like to turn it into sth dark/colonial/elegant...or so... I thought about giving it a sort of distressed turquoise/ morrican style look, but not sure that works. I find it tricky to come up with ideas. Any help?

(23) kommentarer

• Maureen
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I think the first step is that you may want to decide on the style - did you want dark/colonial/elegant...or a morrican feel and perhaps looking at rooms with both types of tables and how they are being used would really help you; as well, where you will be putting it and the style of your room. Not sure if you have the budget to have it professionally redone, which would be my first choice. If not, there are many painting options and I'm sure you'll be hearing from lots of people with suggestions.

• Sigrid
    8 år siden

I wouldn't do anything to elaborate. I think it would look good stained very dark. Its legs are vaguely Jacobean, which is often stained a dark color. If you then applied a high gloss finish, it would look sharp.

• Ann
    8 år siden

I have a quite similar library table from my grandfather. It was refinished professionally and is just beautiful now.

• PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    8 år siden

Not positive, but from what I see from the pictures, the top is rift sawn oak. The most expensive cut of wood and very stable, can't tell what the rest is. I know the trends (fads) right now are paint or dark "stain". But...In my opinion a good refinish by someone who knows how to bring out the details of the wood will greatly enhance the table. It probably should be stripped down, sanded, grain filled (not wood filler), stained, and finished.

But as you said, it's not worth much, and if you don't like natural wood, painting it is no big deal. Although painting it will destine it for the burn pile someday. I've seen a lot of really nice furniture end up in the fire wood pile just because someone doesn't know what is under the paint.

• PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    8 år siden

You could always "donate" the table to my favorite charity... ME!

I certainly wouldn't paint it... I agree with Al F., it may not be a high value piece, other than the fact that it's a bit unique (well, at least to me, but then I don't get out much).

itsjacobkorn thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • qam999
    8 år siden

It's a beautiful table - solid hardwood in a nostalgic, yet easy-to-live with style. I don't find it stylistically incoherent. It would be an incredible desk or library table. I'd simply restore the wood finish and varnish as needed. If the table will see heavy use, I'd get a piece of glass cut for the top.

itsjacobkorn thanked qam999
  • itsjacobkorn
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

@ carolt924 that turned out really neat! thanks for sharing these images.

• PRO
    8 år siden

I'm still on board with Al F.'s suggestion of refinishing (hopefully by someone who's competent)... Even if you went with a LIGHT distressed style because the current condition is in rough shape (should that be the case).

I'm sure most folks like the painted or glazed approach, and the results usually look good in fresh photos, but truth be told, up close & personal, they typically have brush marks suggesting the finish was applied with a rake, and after a short while, the wear & tear issue comes to the forefront, because unless these systems are professionally applied, and there was VERY high end products used... the results are short lived.

This is one of the unintended consequences when the DIYer decides to "jump in". (not that this is the case with the O.P.)

What the folks in the Big Orange Box say is true... "You can do it"... what they DON'T tell you is that you'll be... "doing it"... over & over.

• Ann
    8 år siden

I'm with Select Hardwood. Here is what my similar table (inherited from Grandpa) looks like after being done professionally. It was a mess when I received it in my 20s, basically ready for the dump. My MIL (who appreciates old family furniture) arranged/paid to have it done by a pro many, many years ago when she was having a couple of her old pieces refinished. I love this table now and, surprisingly, my 30 something daughter does too. My daughter (with quite modern taste) told me long ago how much she'd like this table when I'm gone. It's been in our home for as long as she can remember and she was a little girl when it was refinished. So this old table has had a long life and has a very long life ahead (in perfect condition now).

My House · Mere information

• PRO
    8 år siden

Beautiful table Ann, and it goes well with the contemporary furnishings.

• Ann
    8 år siden

Thank you Al! I actually had a Houzz design dilemma about this area when I was shopping for a chair for this corner. Most felt the modern lamp looked terrible on the old table, but just a couple people thought it was great. Sometimes I'm willing to make changes based on the opinions of a large group, but not this time. I love both the old table and the modern lamp and they'll stay as a team in my hallway:). Just like my daughter, I'm very attached to this table!

• PRO
    8 år siden

@Ann...

That's a great looking table...

I know what you mean about the kids... I have 2 sons who want "dibs" on my cars... so nowadays I NEVER stand before either of them at the top of a long flight of stairs.

Also like the floors... almost looks like one of ours... haha

• Ann
    8 år siden

Thanks Select Hardwood. Floors are walnut - I love them!

Hopefully, we've convinced the OP to consider professional refinishing. Even if you don't want to spend the money right now, you could just store it in a storeroom until you are ready to do that. Also, your table is probably nicer than mine, as the refinisher said mine is tulip wood, which would indicate mine was likely an inexpensive piece of furniture in its day. But any solid wood furniture from that era is superior in quality (and interesting in style) to most current pieces.

• hayleydaniels
    8 år siden

I want to second what Select has to say about painting the table, and how they don't look very good. I like shabby chic in the right setting, and was notice how terrible painted furniture looked when I was on Craig's List last night looking for something. Taken out of the cute rooms you see in the stories here on Houzz, a turquoise dresser isn't all that appealing any more where as a solid wood one is.

• PRO
    8 år siden

Ann, I'm a little confused by the comment your refinisher made as to it being made from tulipwood. Real tulipwood comes from Brazil. It's heartwood is streaked with yellows, reds, oranges, and pinks and the color and figure can be highly variegated. It is also expensive and not usually available in large lumber pieces. From your picture it does not look like tulipwood from Brazil.

Could he have said Tulip Poplar? If so that is a low end domestic wood, and unstable, not usually a furniture grade wood other than for a secondary wood. It can be made to look good by a competent finisher.

You are right though about older furniture being built better. Even low cost old furniture is better than the stuff sold today.

• Ann
    8 år siden

Al, I never spoke with him since my MIL had it refinished for us. But, that's what she told me he said. I'm thinking maybe Tulip Poplar???? Here are some close up pics, in case you can identify the wood as something else. I think it was quite light in color (and sort of yellow) before it was stained.

Al, I'm editing/adding to this comment to say I just googled tulip poplar and this wood does look like the same grain as the pics I just saw online, so probably an inferior wood, but a beautiful table that has looked as it does now for 30 years. All the more reason the OP should have her table refinished since hers is a very nice wood as you discussed:)

• PRO
    8 år siden

Yes, does look like poplar. A good finisher can even make an inferior wood look good.

• PRO
    Jane Richardson Mack
    8 år siden

If you do decide to paint it, I'd use gloss black, perhaps leave the top wood and put glass on the top, if it is a desk put old letters, postcards etc. under the glass, even photos of say a pen or notepad, to create a sort of Tromple l'oeil effect with a bit of humor, (a lady bug?) Do check the value prior to doing anything.

• PRO
    8 år siden

Gloss black is a beautiful finish. One problem with it is that it will highlight every dent and scratch on the wood, and in this case, it will highlight the grain of the oak. If that is the look you are looking for, go for it. Just wanted you to be aware of some of the drawbacks.

When I have to paint anything gloss (from white to black) there us an upcharge for the prepwork.

• PRO
    Jane Richardson Mack
    8 år siden

gotcha! just for future reference would a less than glossy finish work? or perhaps a dark stain?

if a dark stain used would it have to be evenly & well sanded? Thank you

• sheilaskb
    8 år siden

I would advise doing anything terribly taste specific to this table because it can be quite versatile and can serve as a dining table with silver ware placed in the little drawers. I do like the idea that your aunt used it as a writing table with a desk chair sliding under the arch in the middle of the front edge. However, it could become a vanity/dressing table in a bedroom suite if placed against a wall with a large framed mirror behind it and proportionately sized lamp on each side. However, I would advise adding a beveled-edge glass to protect the top from possibly spilled cosmetics and hair preparations. The drawers on each end of the front could hold make-up, combs and hairbrushes, and other grooming aids. A slipper chair or vanity bench upholstered in your favorite accent color would complete the look. I believe you are so fortunate to have this vintage piece of furniture that can serve you in so many different ways. I would not worry so much about style and just enjoy the piece as a keepsake from a beloved aunt.

• PRO
    8 år siden

Yes a less glossy finish will work, satin would work best. If painting, just a good sanding as a smooth and scuff coat will do. If re-staining, the existing finish will need to be stripped, sanded, stained, finish coated.

Someone is going to tell you to use gel stain and just wipe it on. Gel stain is nothing more than thinned paint. You will get a streaky and unprofessional look. MinWax Polyshades is another to avoid, same result.

If this has sentimental value, take it to a professional and have it done right. A professional re-finisher, not a painter. You won't regret it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.