weesammy1

Need help determining if I should use concrete pavers or natural.

weesammy1
8 år siden

I like to the cost effectiveness of concrete pavers - in this picture you can see the curve of the walkway which is probably staying. At the front of the house

I will be having a 10x6 landing so need to have good transition from walk and 2 steps up to door. Will also need 18" supporting wall for landing. Any thoughts, live near Vancouver BC. Thank you!!!

(26) kommentarer

• PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    8 år siden
    Hi, love the lines of your walk. Nothing beats the real deal, so if cost is not a factor, go with real stone....it will be beautiful and increase value and curb appeal.

Enjoy!
    Barbara Brown Interiors
  • weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks Barbara, cost is a bit of a factor and I am considering cement pavers for the walk and natural stone for landing which will be like a porch with portico and knee braces. Do you have any thoughts of type of pavers and stone landing that would blend well together?

• Lila
    8 år siden

What about stamped concrete?

• weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Yes I have considered that but as we live on the coast and there is a bit of a slope in walkway, it can be slippery in winter months. Thank you for replying.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    8 år siden

What pavers are you considering?

If you're near Vancouver you should have stone yards near you that are also paver dealers. I'd suggest going there and having the sales rep walk you through options, or if you have an installer in mind have them meet you there. There are so many styles and color ranges on paver today that you just need to see what they all look like.

In terms of playing with stone/paver mix, it comes down to the color of the stone. Techo-Bloc's Sandalwood color range works with stone from gray to tan. Beyond that, just check it out.

As far as using pavers or natural stone, that comes down to you and how budget and style meet up. I would say that if you want large slabs that look like flagstone, just do natural stone. The only large slab pavers worth using end up being really close in installed cost to natural stone. Otherwise, find a paver and pattern that works for you and rock it out!

weesammy1 thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • PRO
    Sara Carte
    8 år siden

Here are a couple of images that I could see fitting in with your current landscape.

• PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    8 år siden
    I'm sticking with the natural stone. Best option, best look, not that much of a price difference. You won't regret it, you will love it!
    weesammy1 thanked Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
  • PRO
    Northern Lights Landscape
    8 år siden

Weesammy1, check out our Project "Pavers" theres a range of man-made pavers which are often a cheaper (still beautiful) route. Also, bluestone is always a very beautiful look.

Entire Backyard Redone · Mere information

Entire Backyard Redone · Mere information

weesammy1 thanked Northern Lights Landscape
  • weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you to everyone who commented - I really appreciate your thoughts. Yes I think I do need to hire a professional - my dilemma there was that I couldn't ask for a quote until I knew what I wanted so they could give me a quote. I really like most of the pictures you took the time to post. I'm leaving on holidays today so may post back to ask a few more questions. But I am getting closer to bitting the bullet and going with natural stone - the bluestone does look good, especially Sara's second picture (if that is what it is?).

• weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks Northern Lights for your suggestions. Could you please tell me what the first paver is ? Thanks.

• PRO
    8 år siden

Weesammy1, it is a Unilock paver... The job is from many years ago and unfortunately i cannot tell you the exact name. This is a link to the Unilock website http://unilock.com/products/?region=5. We use their products all the time and they're great!

• PRO
    Rhett Architects
    8 år siden

With a landing that size, you might think about making your front yard an outside room. Rather than an entrance ramp to your front door, treat your guests and your self to an outdoor foyer. Maybe your landing has beveled corners.

weesammy1 thanked Rhett Architects
  • PRO
    Rhett Architects
    8 år siden

Natural bluestone looks great. be aware that smooth concrete or stone may be slippery and or support mold.

weesammy1 thanked Rhett Architects
  • PRO
    8 år siden

RA Architects has a good point! One of our clients created a small front patio at their entrance, off the driveway. It allows for a nice welcoming space for visitors and reduces clustering in the entryway inside. Especially if there is not mudroom, etc. You can also put a small table with seating to enjoy the space better!

• PRO
    Rhett Architects
    8 år siden

Sweet!

• suezbell
    8 år siden

Consider actually building a front porch from the left side of the bay window to the right side of the front door. Another option is to create a walk all the way around that tree to your bench for your outdoor living space while you're working on the front walk anyway.

weesammy1 thanked suezbell
  • weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks again for the suggestions. I do want an outside patio type landing for sitting out in, in the morning the sun comes in from the east for my coffee, after work the sun comes from the west for my glass of wine. I have also wondered about the slippery part of the poured concrete as that is one of the reasons I am replacing the concrete walk (besides it is so ugly). I will need to put in one extra step 1/3 way up the walk to reduce the slope. I also want the whole project to be easy maintenance. Thought I would post an additional pic to show existing front entrance fyi.

• PRO
    Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec
    8 år siden

You can create a gorgeous walkway with pavingstones and wallstones by Cambridge with Armortec. Pavingstones will provide you with a beautiful look, while being durable and maintenance-free for years to come. Please go to our website and visit the magnificent photos in our electronic brochure and our gallery. By linking to Cambridge’s Designscape Visualizer you can upload your photograph and preview what your re-designed home will look like using Cambridge Pavingstones and Wallstones. Visit our website at www.cambridgepavers.com.

weesammy1 thanked Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec
  • PRO
    JSL Landscape Design Build
    8 år siden

I would avoid having a single step somewhere along the pathway just to reduce the slope. It could be a trip hazard especially if it is not to code. I know in Canada maximum riser height is 8" and if that is what the slope differential is, a single 8" step would not only be awkward, but not very good design wise. Concrete pavers are naturally skid resistent, so I would not be concerned about slipperiness if you go with concrete pavers - which are the most economical material.

weesammy1 thanked JSL Landscape Design Build
  • PRO
    8 år siden

Front Steps and Landscaping of Entryway · Mere information
    depending on your slope, i think a single step might be alright. Or if you can make the grade steeper, you could put two-three steps which would definitely be better both aesthetically and user wise

• weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Hi, thanks for the thoughts on the number of steps on walkway, I could potentially do 2 steps shorter risers. The closer I get to thinking I know what I want someone else throws out an opinion which is now the easy upkeep and options for stamped concrete (even though I dismissed this as too slippery?)

One question I have now is even though I am not planning on selling my family home in the near future, the existing bungalow is about 45 years old with major reno's in the past 8 years. I am wondering what would be best for resale - pavers, stamped concrete or natural stone. I appreciate your advice and patience with me :)

• havingfun
    8 år siden

dear rev, i am with you there.

weesammy1 thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    JSL Landscape Design Build
    8 år siden

Material will make no difference in resale value in terms of an appraised value. Buyers have personal preferences.

I think your solution to the steps is the biggest issue which could mess up the whole thing. If you can, add the third step up near the doorway so you have a set of three all together. Grade the surrounding area to accommodate that lower elevation.

weesammy1 thanked JSL Landscape Design Build
  • weesammy1
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you again for your comments. I totally agree with Revolutionary gardens - too much choice, too much over thinking and yes I need to have a designer help me. Thanks again to JSL as well for your thoughts. Unfortunately I spent quite a bit of money having a company do a design for me which was mainly upgrading the front of house with portico, etc and they did almost nothing in the design of landscape which I believe is as important or more important. They started by designing a larger wood deck with spindles and concrete pavers for walkway but I wanted low maintenance. So now I will find a landscape designer to help me figure out material, steps, etc. When its all done I will post a pic, but may have another question before then :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.