pharrell27

Exterior needs character!!

pharrell27
8 år siden
Moved into new house 6 months ago. Need help with exterior. Would like to update front door and shutters. What would be good color options? Should I replace the leaded glass in door? Thought about replacing it with something like seeded glass. Really hate the white vinyl. Is there an inexpensive way to change? What about porch railing or larger columns? Landscaping ideas? To the left is a treed area where I have planted a large bed of hydrangeas ( 9 blue mophead). Feel that I need something on each side of porch in front of the brick. On right side are large dark pink azaleas. Eventually need to do something with the driveway. Will probably re-gravel but would like some type of border.

(6) kommentarer

• ritting28
    8 år siden
    I think the white looks good. Is it that you don't like the color or is it the quality of the siding? Since it's not a large area, you may be able to replace it with wooden boards if that's in your budget.
    I also think the a porch railing would add a lot of character to the house.
  • ritting28
    8 år siden
    A smallish ornamental tree on each side of the house where there is a wide blank expanse of brick, but place the trees closer to the driveway to give the yard depth. Then circle the trees with perennials or ground cover.
  • PRO
    Northern Lights Landscape
    8 år siden

Pharrell27, I agree -- a railing is definitely necessary (both for aesthetics and safety!). Also, you could build the columns out a bit, so they are bulkier and more of a statement. I would look into some trees and plants to help fill in some of the blank space on either side of the porch. Maybe a tree/tall shrub or two on the right with some plants, and some (one tall) flowering plants on the left (then you'll get a nice flower fragrance coming in the window!).

• miacometlady
    8 år siden
    I would set aside reno money for underground sprinklers. It's amazing what a lush lawn can offer!
  • pharrell27
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks - some great ideas! What type of tree? Crape Myrtle or maybe an ornamental flowering cherry tree? (Live in southeast). Also thought of a nice trellis on each side with a flowering vine. We do have an inground sprinkler system but are having issues with drainage. There is a grouping of 5 oak and hickory trees on the left in the front that are not visible in this picture. Problems with fungus. Looks a little better now - this picture was taken in April. Front yard is about 1/2 acre. Yard and landscaping were neglected for quite some time. There is also a large grouping of trees on the right on the back side of driveway. There is somewhat of a problem with too much shade on the left. House faces south and gets only filtered sunlight.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.