kejohno

Driveway brickwork update

kejohno
8 år siden
sidst ændret:8 år siden

I'm after some ideas to update out driveway/ entranceway. We recently installed a beautiful timber look garage door & I now need to make the brick work & gate more modern. Any ideas appreciated.

(13) kommentarer

• kejohno
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Front
  • kejohno
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Anyone???
  • PRO
    Knight-Smith Images
    8 år siden
    I'm scratching my head. You have face brick and while older in style is really quite lovely.

I'm not sure of your budget but I'd just pressure wash the bricks and pavers and see if that makes it look better.

Other than that I think I'd be looking at render and paint but you'd loose all that face brick. A cheaper alternative is to bag the walls and paint but the joints look like raked joints and bagging doesn't look so good over them.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • kejohno
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thanks I appreciate you ideas. I will give the cleaning a go. There is just so much brick I would like to brighten it up.

Another idea I had was to knock down the fence with the mailbox & redo with plants & nice mailbox. We don't really need to keep the metal gate. The other side has a raised garden bed behind it. May cut in the brick fence & put some wood panels?
  • krc33
    8 år siden

If there is too much brick for your liking you could always opt to install a aluminium timber slatted fence, which is modern, low maintenance and termite resistant, this could feature an inclusive mailbox. Also, you could redo your driveway with exposed aggregate or an epoxy finish. Hope this helps.

• User
    8 år siden
    Could you get someone in to cut the fence on both sides down to half height? Maybe topped with a stone capping? An overlarge stainless steel house number on the fence on the right next to a more modern letterbox? Just some thoughts.
  • User
    8 år siden
    Hi,
    Have you thought about replacing the driveway pavers with appropriately colored river stone? This would not be a small project as you'd have to rip up the pavers, prep and then lay the stones ensuring they are all lovely and smooth. Then you'd obviously have to seal them. It would give a lovely look to that timber door, and I think would be a great compliment to the brick fence (which by the way I love as it is and wouldn't touch it!).
    Good luck,
    Ant.
  • Kerrin wilson
    8 år siden
    Hello
    The driveway appears to be in good condition so I would tend to leave it. Changing would be very pricey.

So I would granosite/bag the wall and paint it in a complementary colour to soften the overall brick look.

Kerrin
  • longbeachgrannyflat
    8 år siden
    I love your brick wall. The gates however.......

Have you thought about getting some gates custom made? You would then have a practical, statement piece of art, with the wooden garage door as a backdrop.

If you do, see if you can get an automatic opener as well, because who wants to get out to open gates?
  • Lou
    8 år siden

I like the bricks in the fence and you don't want to paint or render this, as you would be providing a lovely, fresh canvas for graffiti 'artists' to scribble on your walls. However, you could create a border area just in front of the fence and plant some shrubs or narrow trees. (Just saw a segment on Catalyst on the ABC the other day on types of trees which help to filter out pollution from your home. Silver birch trees seemed to do well, whilst taking up very little space and being quite sparse.) Even a border of mondo grass would be good, though this is very short in height.

• Lou
    8 år siden

The driveway paving, whilst in good condition, is very 'ordinary' isn't it? You could paint it. Something contrasting to the timber in the garage door would be good, such as a dark grey. Only problem is, anything you paint would need more upkeep in the long run. Therefore, I'd stick to putting up with it whilst it's in such good nick.

Investing in something far more interesting for the gate would be a great idea though.

• kejohno
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thanks for all the fabulous ideas. I will by cleaning the bricks & updating the gate. The driveway path extends all the way to the front door so that's a big job I might leave until later.
    Thanks Kate :)
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.