theartfolk

Unsure about timber flooring choice

The Art Folk
8 år siden
I want to get timber flooring for our whole house excluding the bathroom. I have spoken to lots of sales people and researched online. I am confused. Should I choose engineered timber, real timber or laminate? At the start of my search I absolutely wanted real timber. I am concerned about the cost. I don't want to pay more than $120 per square meter. I like some of the engineered varieties, but am concerned about its durability with dogs and kids. I don't like the idea of laminate, but was told its my best choice as its durable. The price of the laminate is $95 per square meter which seems a lot for fake floor, the engineered one $110 both installed. Advice please!

(7) kommentarer

• PRO
    Knight-Smith Images
    8 år siden
    Timber is graded by jenka score which is its hardness. Higher the score, the harder and more durable.

Engineered can be quite durable and I think looks better than laminate and for that little bit more you get engineered.

Another option is bamboo if you like it. It's very hardy and will last with kids and dogs. Some of it comes with really nice grain.

Good luck choosing.
  • Chanop
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

We just got engineered oak floor installed. It is Preference 15mm with 4mm oak layer. We would have liked to go 21mm with 6mm wear layer, but couldn't because of existing sliding door frame.

Oak is hardwood but not as hard as many Australian species if you look at Jenka rating. There are some prefinished Australian species hardwood flooring in both solid and engineered forms. I have seen ball park cost around 110 - 130 installed for these. In the ended, we chose the oak option due to wider board 190mm vs ~130mm for Australian species and the range had some lighter colour that we preferred.

Many people including one hardwood floor store would recommend against bamboo due to the glue used in manufacturing claiming that it is toxic. Bamboo floor with colour and pattern can't be touched up easily once scratched as the colour layer is on the skin level only.

• PRO
    The Art Folk
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you. I want the light colour as well and am thinking Oak but I am worried we will damage it quickly. How long have you had it for? Is it holding up ok?

• Chanop
    8 år siden

I have had it for just about 8 weeks, still brand new.

Kitchen renovation · Mere information

• PRO
    The Art Folk
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you, it looks good

• Adam Cottrell
    7 år siden

Now it seems expensive but remember this is an investment in the future of your home. A picture of my spotted gum floor

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.