interiordesignlongisland

Backsplash and island counter ideas need

A U
8 år siden
hi everyone, please help me find backsplash that would look great with this granite. I dont love this granite, but cant afford to change it. my kitchen is white (BM Simply White color) and I would like to get a light stone counter on my island (to contrast this dark granite) because this granite is so busy worth beige/orange warm tones, it's hard for me to pick a backsplash tile and island stone. For is white tile. thank you so much.

(37) kommentarer

• shellysmo
    8 år siden

Use mirror for a backsplash and undermount lights on your cupboards. Your kitchen will look bigger. They are easy to keep clean too.

• A U
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    thank you so much. would truly appreciate design advice on countertop for island as well.
  • Koel Das
    8 år siden
    If the cabinet in your island is white you could match it with the backsplash provided you are able to have tiles created from the same stone. There are numerous lighter coloured granites like Kashmir Gold and similar which look really nice. However lighter granites need to be maintained well and the sealing needs to be done well too.
    Alternatively your darker granite has some orange brown spots and you could use similar coloured stone for the island countertop. While Quartz countertops are available in a zillion colours , it might help to choose natural stone or granite to retain consistency. Use sufficient lighting to brighten up your kitchen and help you in your work
  • mjacks
    8 år siden

I used "bronzed" mirror as my back splash in my kitchen. It not only looks beautiful, but it expands the space tremendously. And just as shellysmo suggests, I used a very warm (dimable) LED strip lighting that is not only functional but also beautiful layer of additional lighting. For those concerned about using mirror as a backsplash in your kitchen, simply apply "Rain-X Glass-Water repellant" and they will clean with ease. The bronzed mirrored backsplash is one of the most commented on design elements in our home. People love the look and what is does for the area.

• Lynn G
    8 år siden

I like simple backsplashes. My favorite is just bead-board: it's cheap, can easily paint it different colors as your taste changes, and it just mostly adds a bit of texture to the wall. I find extravagant tiles etc. are too busy, and often too trendy. Another potential option for adding texture and having flexibility to change color is tin ceiling tiles.

As for island top, I prefer wood. I got butcher block pretty cheap at Lumber Liquidators. My aunt put pine on her countertops. Might even be able to source some used boards at a salvage place. You might find the warmth of the wood a nice complement to the cold of the granite.

• laragazza
    8 år siden

I think a mirror next to granite is too much cold hard shiny together. My favorite backsplash is antique (or antiqued) brick veneer, the real thing, not fake looking. I've had it in two kitchens now and just love it. I also like lynnag's suggestion of beadboard. We have painted tongue and groove paneling (same idea as beadboard) in one of our houses. The contractors urged us to change it out to subway, but we kept it and love it. It is very easy to wipe off, and so far has presented no issues.

• Colleen Nolan
    8 år siden

Subway tile. Simple, cheap and goes with everything. This way if you do change you counters, you will not have to change the tile. Pick up tiles in a few colors and see what looks best. I always use it and I never go wrong and it never goes out of style. To avoid a dark hole look, stick with a lighter color. These days they make so many colors and at .21 cents per tile you can't go wrong. Good luck!!

• Maggie Setler
    8 år siden

I would use a creamy subway tile. You have too much going on in the granite to add another pattern. Make sure you get 2-3 tiles of each color you are thinking of and prop them up on edge (the way they would be installed) to see how they look with the granite. I like the idea of wood on the island or get a plain stone --you don't want dueling patterns

• Connie F
    8 år siden

As someone mentioned above, bead board is a great choice. You can install it vertically or horizontally, depending on your taste. Also, I've recently seen someone using wood or wood look flooring for a back splash. Vinyl planks might be an option, because they look so much like real wood, they come in a variety of styles and it would be easy to keep clean (I have it on my floors.)

• Donna Hurst
    8 år siden

I have a very similar countertop only it's in Formica. Kerala Granite is what it's called. I went with a subway tile type travertine tile. It's a bit smaller than traditional subway tile, but it's not the crazy mosaic that seems to be what is so popular. Since the "granite" is busy, I wanted to have something more soothing to the eye. Behind the cooktop I went with a 1/2 " glass mosaic. Since it's a small space, I don't mind the busy look. And it sort of bumps up the interest there

• PRO
    Beth Covert Studio of Painted Design
    8 år siden
    Wilsonart Formica makes some really nice metallic sheet goods. I did my backsplash in a brushed stainless. Wipes clean with a dishcloth, doesn't spot like real SS, a fraction of the cost, and looks clean and contemporary.
  • windingcreek_creations
    8 år siden

My vote is bead board. I hate cleaning grout lines!

• windingcreek_creations
    8 år siden

and butcher block for the Island

• marciataren
    8 år siden

Lowes has a great selection.Buy one sheet of each one you like,then decide and take the rest back and buy the remainder of the best one.How about stainless on the Island.

• leelee
    8 år siden

White tile for backsplash. Make sure it's the same white as your cabinets. That will brighten your kitchen and work great with the busy granite.

• cindiperez
    8 år siden

White backsplash as it will help lighten the room and contrast with the granite that you don't like. As for the island butcher block will bring out the earthtones in your ganite and tie everything together or you could go with a white quartz to keep it really clean looking. Good luck !

• rainigirl
    8 år siden

I have used mirrored backsplashes in two kitchen applications and love it! Makes the kitchen look bigger and brighter. It installs very easy and is a dream to keep clean.

• lauriemcp
    8 år siden
    I like the idea of going simple with the backsplash since the granite is so busy. Choose a lighter color from the granite and go with a simple subway but I would go with a bigger tile to make it look less busy - I'm thinking long and linear 5x20 or something along those lines. A butcher block on the island will warm up the space and is a great idea. You don't want to compete with the granite but blend it in.
  • Sandi Woods
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I love subway tiles which seem to look great with everything. I like your counter top very much...looks great with white.

• oreet
    8 år siden

I would use a copper color glass mosaic tile to co-ordinate with the counter. It will also add a touch of sparkle and glam to the room. For the island I would use white marble to tie with your floor and cupboards.

• Holly Daley
    8 år siden

White subway tiles in a chevron design with a rusty colored grout would be something to tie in the granite. I agree with a butcher block for the island. That will warm up the dark of the granite. Also LED under mount lighting is a must.

• judykentdreitz
    8 år siden

look up lowes 526252 volcanic essance mosaic. it is glass style on sheets with various patterns in the background. my wife and her friend did our back splash around cooktop and under upper cabinets and it looks very rich and marvelous. Would not work for counter top however. Good luck----Kent

• Phyllis
    8 år siden

I'm one of the minority who does not like a backsplash except for over the range where I used stainless steel (up to the bottom of the cabinets) around the rest of the counters I used a strip of trim matching my cabinets. If you want a backsplash, I think the "bronzed" mirror mentioned above would look great. As far as the top of the island -- use butcher block. It goes with every décor and is practical.

• calidesign
    8 år siden

White subway tile for the backsplash, and a solid white quartz top for the island. Make sure to get samples and see them in the room to make sure the whites are the right shade.

• medusa11365
    8 år siden

BTW, is there a lot of copper in that countertop? This would be cool for the island: http://www.handcraftedmetal.com/Island-copper-countertops.html

• charliebeth
    8 år siden

I agree with some of the above comments about white subway tile. It is classic and easy to maintain. We have similar granite to yours in our kitchen and we went with white subway tiles in a brick pattern and we used dark gray grout to tie in the granite color.

• Colleen Reynolds
    8 år siden

I would suggest something I used and was very happy with -- Aspect metal tiles. You can Google and find. Easy and pretty. As for your granite, I would go with a solid color, possibly even quartz if you can afford it.

• PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    8 år siden
    Use a simple white tile like the ubiquitous subway tile (make sure it works with the cabinet white) and use a subtle colored grout to go with it; something that will pull in the granite color or just a coordinating neutral, but much, much lighter. Do NOT try to add another stone look on the island; this rarely works and comes off looking even busier, at best, or as a clashing afterthought at worst. Go with a quartz, either pulling the color from the granite (if you can find this) or just go solid white.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    8 år siden
    One more thought: a wood countertop in a medium stain would be another option.
  • PRO
    Functional Interior Design
    8 år siden

Cashmere glass tile might work with your counter. or some other glass tile. It will lighten up the space. Glass tile is here to stay and is going to be the new classic.

• goodewyfe
    8 år siden

Either make everything else white or pick out the lightest color in the granite and use that. While at first I thought the color and pattern of the granite wasn't very appealing, after looking at it a bit more, I decided it was something I could live with if it were my kitchen. While the background is dark, the other colors really warm it up.

• A U
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

WOW!!!! Thank you so much, everyone, for your very thoughtful responses. I considered all of them in the past few days. I definitely like the idea of white large mosaic tile or subway tile. I am also considering large arabesque mosaic in white, or chevron mosaic in large format similar to the one pictured below. What do you guys think of it?
    Also, my island will have very "romantic renaissance look" sculptures built in, so modern or farm-house look countertops won't work (i.e. wood, copper, metal, etc). I went to granite yards today with husband, and we fell in love with one stone. They call it Blanca Luna. I'm attaching a photo. My husband swears that it matches our perimeter stone because the dark spots have brown in it and the rest of slab is very white. But I'm not 100% sure. (We did take a piece of our permiter stone there. I would love to hear your opinions of what you think. I'm attaching more photos of kitchen as well as the island stone my husband and I loved.

Arabesque Backsplash. Your thoughts?

Mother of pearl (groutless, white) backsplash. Your thoughts?

Stone my husband and I loved? The dark spots are black/brown. Your thoughts on how it would look with current perimeter?

Our kitchen island (notice how blackish the perimeter looks from afar). BTW, we refaced the kitchen (it used to be cherry wood!). Island was added/remodeled.

Another view of kitchen perimeter

• PRO
    Joanna Shirin Design Studios, ASID
    8 år siden
    I love the idea of simple white subway tile for the backsplash, yet, for something a bit more interesting how about handmade terra-cotta Mexican tile with white background and lovely simple and classical patterns... Work with colors of your granite countertop. For the island- beautiful old wood piece for countertop... These choices will make your kitchen interesting and timeless...
  • cindiperez
    8 år siden

I think you have some good choices there. I think the stone you and your husband love will be a nice contrast with your existing and help brighten it up. I personally love the mother of pearl, but think the arabesque fits your style more. Good Luck !!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.