andydale

Condo kitchen - beyond me

andydale
8 år siden

My 22 year old son is purchasing a condo. This is the kitchen (YUCK!). No electric in place now so hard to get good photo but countertops are inexpensive (not sure of material) and goldish color. No extra money for major upgrade. Plan: paint cabinets, remove border and paint walls, install new backsplash. Need ideas for all the above. Appliances must stay. Floors are dark wood laminate (they are nice)! Kitchen is open to great room that has brown walls but possibly changing to a light khaki. HELP, please! Thank you.

(41) kommentarer

• bunnyllg
    8 år siden
    The white color of the appliance make the cabinets look dirty. I would paint them BM White Dove if you want to keep them white, but I have seen slate blue or graphite gray cabinets that look really good. This would depend on his color scheme for the rest of the house. Remove the border for sure and a simple subway ( glass or ceramic) for a backsplash. Are new counters in the budget?
    andydale thanked bunnyllg
  • bunnyllg
    8 år siden
    Something like these maybe.
    andydale thanked bunnyllg
  • Gato Playa
    8 år siden
    Remove the border as bunny suggested.

New backsplash. I would paint the cabinets a light color (make the space seem bigger).

Change the light fixture? @flairlighting is the person for suggestions on lighting. If he can't replace the counters right now, check out either painting them (for temporary results), or using rustoleum to completely redo them. It's called Countertop Transformations. For a couple of hundred bucks, you can resurface them. (Can do the same for the cabinets.... It's a gel stain. Instead of painting them.

Even changing the faucet... Will make a huge difference.
    andydale thanked Gato Playa
  • andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

New countertops not an option right now. Like the gray idea but wonder how it would look with that gold?? Kitchen opens to dining area and great room that will be painted in a light tan or light khaki. Beige carpet in those areas. Very neutral color scheme.

• smit2380
    8 år siden

New laminate countertops are actually inexpensive (especially for a small kitchen). You could then pick countertops that coordinate with your new color scheme.

andydale thanked smit2380
  • andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Light fixture will be changed! Will have to look into the Countertop Transformations... didn't know there was such a thing. Thank you for all the help. Keep advice coming - open to ALL ideas!

• Gato Playa
    8 år siden
    Andydale... I only suggested the countertop transformations because our kitchen is going to be our winter project and I have been researching. Laminate pricing for my kitchen (which isn't huge) was surprising. The laminate is cheap... The installation was as much as the laminate which puts it out of our budget and I don't want to do that ourselves. I was floored at the estimate. So, I've been reading about the transformations and reviews, watching YouTube. It's doable, just follow instructions.
  • Gato Playa
    8 år siden
    Installation was more! Sorry.
  • hayleydaniels
    8 år siden

I agree new laminate countertops are cheap, and should be done if you want to put in a new backsplash. You should be able to get it done [including undermount sink] for $3,000.

Most of the problem is the strange mix of colors. As mentioned, the white appliances make the cream color cabinets look dirty when they're actually a very nice color. The gold walls and rust colored tiles also add to the pinkish look of the cabinets.

Without seeing the rest of the house, it's hard to speculate on what color would look good, but from what I see, you need some contrast. Something like a grayish green or blue would help tone down all the red/yellow/brown colors that seem to be playing off each other and distorting them.

Other than the colors, the layout of the kitchen [from what we can see] looks decent as there's a good amount of work space between the sink and stove for cooking.

andydale thanked hayleydaniels
  • hayleydaniels
    8 år siden

Just a comment on the cost of laminate installation. Ours was$500 plus $140 haul away of old countertop and sink, $140 to unhook and hook-up new plumbing which my husband did to save money. We also did our own backsplash. We went with faux maple laminate at $21. We got a Karran acrylic undermount sink and there was a few of $140 to attach it to the countertop so our labor came to $780. We ordered it through Home Depot. We did the backsplash ourselves.

• Lila
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

On a straight run like yours it is easy to install the countertop yourself. I'm a sixty plus woman and I did it with only the use of a jigsaw to cut out the sink hole. The cost of professional installation was more than the cost of the top so I decided to try it on my own and it was pretty easy. Just watch UTube. Cut the old top into smaller pieces that can be thrown away. Ikea also has butcher block tops at very reasonable prices.

andydale thanked Lila
  • JustDoIt
    8 år siden

"Ugly never killed anyone..."

I'll have to remember this line.

• andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

He's wanting to update it, not me! It's important to him to have it look nice because it is open to the great room. Guess it's because a 22 year old (almost 23) likes to entertain a lot! He's trying to do work in phases as much as possible (there's a lot of work that needs to be done on the place as a whole) and to him, the priority is the kitchen and the great room.

• Natalie
    8 år siden

Hi---

I too, am in favor of a laminate countertop, as it's fairly inexpensive and could be a diy project. Check your local home improvement stores for prefab and special order counters without the 4" backsplash... I recommend keeping it simple, perhaps solid in color.

Color for cabinets: Ben Moore's White Down and White Dove. New hardware...

Backsplash: wood looking porcelain tile (tilebar.com)

Walls: BM'S Alaskan Skies or Olympic Mountains

Ceiling: BM'S Apparition or Nimbus. These colors are slightly darker than wall color and have a blue/gray undertone...

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

andydale thanked Natalie
  • andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Wow, Natalie - THANK YOU! LOVE your suggestions. Looks like he could go either way on painting his great room with those colors in kitchen too which is a real bonus! What color family do you suggest for countertop?

• Natalie
    8 år siden

So glad you like my suggestions-thanks! I recommend carrying the color palette throughout the main living spaces. Introduce pattern, color, and texture with accessories such as rugs, pillows, etc..

A soft white/off white laminate for counters---it's wise to have paint colors when selecting; whites have different undertones so make sure the cabinet and counter hues are compatible.

Have Fun!

andydale thanked Natalie
  • Gato Playa
    8 år siden
    Omg Natalie! Those tiles are GORGEOUS. Did you find them on Houzz?
  • Natalie
    8 år siden

Thanks Kathryn. Tilebar.com is the source---search wood porcelain tiles. :))

• Lila
    8 år siden

BTW, kudos to your son for purchasing his first home at such a young age.

andydale thanked Lila
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    8 år siden

As I said...........paint!! You can even paint tile believe it or not. But "when there's a lot of work to be done in phases" .phases is the operative word. Paint and elbow grease are inexpensive, have at it!! But half baked reno's usually take the dollars and the owner further from the long term goal and what they REALLY want, when a little patience can go a very long way. And in the meantime, your friends remain your friends as you entertain to the max, and they don't mind one bit that you're "workin on it" so to speak.

• PRO
    KERTILES
    8 år siden

Hi @andyale. With all the browinish/dark colors that are around the kitchen we suggest a backsplash that has different light colors and will reflect light. This will make the kitchen seem more spacious and light flooded.

andydale thanked KERTILES
  • hayleydaniels
    8 år siden

@JanMoyer, what do you mean by the phrase 'But half baked reno's usually take the dollars and the owner further from the long term goal and what they REALLY want, when a little patience can go a very long way. And in the meantime, your friends remain your friends as you entertain to the max, and they don't mind one bit that you're "workin on it" so to speak.' Do you mean it's foolish to do work in phases or that it's wise for those of us who can't afford the cost of renovating in one fell swoop? If so, why?

• Carol Singletary
    8 år siden
    I took that comment to mean do what you can afford to do RIGHT, then do the rest as you can afford it.
  • andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

He just wants to give it an update that is not going to break the bank right now. Since just graduated from college and just started working full-time and he obtained his own financing and probably won't get "ahead" anytime soon, I support his decision to do work in phases and get things presentable! Because the kitchen is quite hideous right now and does cheapen the looks of this very nice unit, he wants simple, inexpensive cosmetic work done now and then later he can change out to more expensive items. Keep ideas coming, please!

• andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

We have decided to try to work with the countertop as it looks to be in very good condition. It is not as gold as we thought (now that there is electricity in the unit)... it has a brownish tone to it. What do you think of painting the cabinets a soft white (not creamy or yellow) and a white subway tile backsplash and either rubbed bronze or black cabinet hardware and light fixtures. Then, he can add color with accessories or his small appliances. Considered a multi-colored backsplash but have found it difficult to find one that blends well with that color countertop. Suggestions/ideas welcome! (The walls in the background - dining area - are actually a brownish color, not green). Thanks in advance!

• Gato Playa
    8 år siden

I think swapping the backsplash for a white instead of the red will make the countertops appear to be less 'red/gold/orange'. And totally budget friendly. Go with that first! It's his first place right? No need to sink a ton of money in it. A little facelift will go a long way.

• andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I agree Kathryn Beach! A little facelift for now until he gets the funds necessary to do more extensive reno. This is his first home purchase and he's eager to update it more to his taste. There are several things throughout the unit he wants to do so he doesn't really want to spend all his money on the kitchen right now. I completely understand and I am attempting to help him find inexpensive ways to update things.

• Gato Playa
    8 år siden

I guess also, before you dump a lot of money into it. Sit down with your son and ask some how at questions. How long does he plan to stay there? Have you looked to see how much other condos around him are selling for? (That's most important.) versus how much he paid. I don't care how nice you make it, if the top dollar condo in his area is selling for under what you put in HIS condo plus the price he paid, it won't be recouped. Unless he's going to be there long enough....!to gain property value back.

• everdebz
    8 år siden

You wouldn't do so bad if the border was removed and walls painted same cream as cabinets. [I happen to like terra cotta/ rust colors -- is tile a good quality? real terra cotta?]

• everdebz
    8 år siden

Home Goods must have some sort of floral or desert canvas art.

Framed Art Print 'Sur la Table II' by Mark Cabral, Outer Size 11"x17" · Mere information

Segment Unframed Giclee With Knife Gel Finish · Mere information
    Sedona Series by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, 12"x16" art prints, sepia toned · Mere information

• sheilaskb
    8 år siden

I believe you are on the right track in regard to removing the wallpaper border and painting the cabinets white. However, I like the back splash, which appears to be coral or a dull red on my computer. If you are painting the living room khaki, your son may like the coral color for an accent color to tie the color scheme of all the rooms together.

andydale thanked sheilaskb
  • everdebz
    8 år siden

Limit the tones. This for example seems about tone of counters:

3-Pc 40.5 in. Bistro Table Set · Mere information

• everdebz
    8 år siden

Or if he can stand it :) repeat the cream and white something like:

Homelegance Scottsdale 3-Piece Counter Dining Room Set - White · Mere information

• everdebz
    8 år siden

On the other hand, just look past white appliances toward something like this. Maybe art could have a white mat??

Cramco Java 3-Piece Java Bistro Set · Mere information

• andydale
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you everdebz! Great ideas. First thing he said when we went to look at condo is "tile has to go". I agree. It's just not his style at all. However, I think what we are going to do is have the border pulled first - step back and look. Then, we will paint the cabinets - step back and look. And lastly remove backsplash and re-tile. It might be that he's okay with things if he can have a visual before destroying everything.

He has this canvas that he thought he could use on the wall at the end of the kitchen:

• Gato Playa
    8 år siden

I love the canvas. It's fun. I really think one thing at a time will help things build organically. Sometimes you think you want 'this' and then you do 'this' and it changes. Right?

• Tina
    8 år siden
    The tiles can be painted. My sister did hers a few years ago and they looked good. Remove the border, paint the cabinets and if you are okay with keeping the countertops then consider painting the backsplash a light colour that coordinates with the countertop. Good luck and keep us posted.
    andydale thanked Tina
  • everdebz
    8 år siden

What a fun piece of art!!!! Incidentally, it might make the terra cotta tile look better. :)

• Irene Morresey
    8 år siden
    Paint the walls a mulberry red, cabinets a light coffee color, so white appliances don't stand out to much, some funky lights and stools, art. It's a blokes kitchen. Otherwise go completely opposite and do everything white.
  • PRO
    Hal Braswell Consulting
    8 år siden
    I'd keep cabinets white, unless in person they need refinishing.

IMO big problem is border and backsplash.

Check out Aspect glass tiles (Backsplashideas on Houzz, web). These are stickon subway/mini-sub tiles that do not require grout or thin set for an easy DIY project. Not cheap but with no paid labor, no grout, no thinset, it is very affordable; we estimate $500-600 for our 240 SF galley kitchen. Several colors, both metal finishes and glass finishes.

Wilsonart countertop is about $20 SF; for a straight run a DIY install is not difficult. My advice would be don't do a postformed backsplash as part of counter top, this will give a much cleaner modern look and will cost less.

At some point in 5-10 years, almost certainly he will gut the kitchen. So in a sense some money will be "thrown away." Not much different than buying a new wardrobe for professional job right after college. DIY demo, paint, countertop and Aspect DIY backsplash should come in under $3,500 and keep in high style until ready for gut job.

Here are pics of a few Aspect glass tiles and our Wilsonart Luna Shadow countertop (DIY install).
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.