doreen_alana

Living room needs ideas!

Doreen Alana
8 år siden
Hello all! I'm visiting my aunt and uncle's beautiful hand built house in the woods and they've asked me to help them with ideas to finish their living room and make it feel warm, bright, open, and overall a perfect family space. I don't know much about interior decorating but this seems like a nice place to ask others for advice. It is a unique space because of the large dark stained structural beams that cross over the ceiling, the high triangular shape of the room (the high point reaches about 25-30 ft), and the giant stone fireplace that reaches to the top of that ceiling.

Advice needed:

THE FLOOR
The floor is completely unfinished- it had carpet but it got torn up- right now it's unfinished plywood. They are interested in keeping it hardwood, stone or tile with a nice rug in the middle. Any ideas on floor color, material, or rugs would be appreciated!

THE LIGHTING
My aunt says that they need more light and are willing to install electrical if needed. Right now the only light in the whole space are the two ceiling fans and a upright lamp in the corner. I suggested long hanging lights from the ceiling that would be decorative but also provide extra lighting but I don't know if that would clutter the space and take away from the high ceiling. There are many windows but she says it gets very dark in the winter.

THE LAYOUT
They want to be able to gather around the fireplace, a multiuse area for board games, studying and reading. It is an open space right now but anything to make it feel cozier while still capitalizing on the space would be great.

FINISHING TOUCHES
curtains? The stairs need help as well. Decoration tips for a space like this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Any suggestions would be amazing since envisioning how everything would come together seems like a difficult task!

(1) kommentar

• PRO
    KERTILES
    8 år siden

Hi Doreen!

Love the space, even though it needs some changes. When clients ask for a warm flooring we recommend the one in the picture. Something like that always makes for a cozy atmosphere without being too dark. Any color goes with this but a darker color like burgundy makes the floor stand out a lot more.

This is the type of layout I would suggest for the living room

And this one includes the type of lighting that works well in big rooms. Doesn't distract from the rest and is very modern.

Good luck with the remodeling :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.