fluffykoala

What was/has been your most stressful part of renovating?

fluffykoala
8 år siden
sidst ændret:8 år siden

Hi there houzzers,

I'm at that point in my reno where it seriously just seems too much. I can now understand why those couples on the block seem so crazy!!

Hoping for some likeminded assurance that this happens to everyone and I'm not alone! When did the stress levels hit the roof for you?

Posting my green colour scheme inspo for some calming vibes.....

Bathroom Envy: Go Green and Calm the Senses · Mere information

(28) kommentarer

• J
    8 år siden
    I feel your pain.
  • theamazingmisssharon
    8 år siden
    We are (thankfully) only days away from moving into our home, post renovation. I can honestly say that it nearly sent me insane, with the biggest crisis' coming from the smallest details! How is it that I can see the end game so clearly, and nearly drop my bundle completely over the door handles for the french doors on the verandah? Or save the decision on the splashbacks until the counter tops are in and then nearly have a complete meltdown because the builder needs to know NOW when I have to look at it a bit longer to decide?? Anyway, we got there in the end. I can't afford window coverings because of the various unanticipated issues that sucked the life out of my savings, my secret savings, AND my coin jar, and turf will have to wait, but it's done. Good luck with yours. You'll get there!
  • georgi02
    8 år siden

OK, there might be something wrong with me :) I really enjoyed the renovation process - I admit I snarled twice - with the Strata Management Company who was just purely incompetent (a trip to their office wearing an unhappy face and quietly snarling my unhappiness and the bylaws put that to rights) and the Shower installer who tried to get a longer delivery time (a phone call to the shower installer's boss outlining what I was told in the showroom and what was indicated on their website fixed that), but apart those two things and the dust I really enjoyed it. What probably helped me (I admit - I am a control freak) was having all the taps, tiles, lights etc picked and prices negotiated ahead of time (with the exception of the custom made items that we did with the builders' carpenter and had an agreed to price before contracts were signed) with no changes we pretty much came in on time and budget with sanity intact.

I found that getting out for an hour or two when dust and noise were getting to me helped, as was sleeping at my Mums place during the process (a hot shower, a hot meal and no dust of an evening is a sanity saver). I also found having a beer ready for the trades on site at the end of the day was appreciated by them, generated a lot of good will and we could recap anything that didn't go plan that day and the schedule for the next day keeping the process smooth.

I'd do it again and I'd do it the same way - all you need to keep saying is "it'll be beautiful when it's done" and keep thinking about the end result. Hang in there!

• karenleonn
    8 år siden
    Well at the moment I am stripping wallpaper and could happily choke the inventor!!! Painful to apply and more painful to remove!
  • PRO
    My Beautiful Abode
    8 år siden
    I recognized that renovating is always stressful, so I've developed a gift voucher called 'renovators lifeline ' so I can step in and help out at the tail end of the project where everything is seemingly overwhelming.
  • oklouise
    8 år siden

having just moved in to our newly renovated old house we are completely exhausted and just want all the decisions to STOP!! Best decision, initially based on runnning out of money has been to concentrate on getting the basics like roofing, windows, insulation and drainage finished and leaving out the kitchen, verandahs and landscaping until after we moved in and could concentrate on each at a more relaxed pace. Time to find something else to do!!

fluffykoala thanked oklouise
  • Kim Westwood
    8 år siden

Getting someone motivated just to paint, Yes hubby. He likes to do it himself with no help from me but getting him started is the worse part. He hates to paint.

• marisepalmer
    8 år siden
    I found that good tilers in perth wa are hard to find and for bathroom reno they ruined our bathroom with poorly laid crooked tiles. that's VERY stressful. but on the flip side stripkraft who removed my old kitchen and floor tiles did a professional job so happy with them.
  • Yvonne Newman
    8 år siden

Unreliable tradies. They say they are going to be there and you plan everyone else around them and they dont turn up ... what is worse ... they dont even have the wherewithall to ring and let you know they are not coming. So unprofessional

• antonia_d
    8 år siden
    We've just completed a 10month renovation. The worst part was when our certifier 'changed' his mind on the design of our privacy screens 3 weeks before we were due to move in. They had been built months prior. The certifier was required to approve our privacy screen prior to issuing the construction certificate. He issued the certificate so the design was approved. He then changed his mind after our neighbours complained that we could still see into their yard. The neighbours complained to council during the DA process however council dismissed their complaint. Anyway, we built beautiful timber vertical screens that are angled at various degrees. As they were not your standard horizontal and vertical slat our certifier could not see past this. Our architect made a feature of our screens and right now we have placed a piece of villa board over the screens just so our certifier is happy. We will now need to modify our screens and hopefully make it look as though it was the original design. Next time we will choose a certifier that appreciates design and is more contemporary. We will also be making a complaint to the building professionals board in relation to the certifier as he should not have issued the construction certificate if he was not satisfied with the design of the privacy screen. This was part of the conditions of consent for the DA.
  • Pazz
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden
  • telperien
    8 år siden

Pazz, the link doesn't seem to be working for me ?

• Pazz
    8 år siden

Sorry telperien, I couldn't work out how to insert the link with my mobile phone... try copy & paste in browser?

• olldroo
    8 år siden

telperien - copy and paste to the search box above.

• olldroo
    8 år siden

Pazz - what is the problem??

• Pazz
    8 år siden

Duh... can't work it out...

Can you see my recent post:

"Make builder change drawers? Worth it or not?"

under 'Design Dilemma' ?

• telperien
    8 år siden
    Okay, found it, thanks everyone.
  • 2dogssashatess
    8 år siden

The most stressful part is seeing how expensive everything is

• olldroo
    8 år siden

Pazz, can you put a link? Needle in a haystack otherwise.

• mrjudsonjames
    8 år siden

In my past renovations, it's been unforeseen things numbering too high, too often, blowing out the budget and time frame! That was after me allowing for some things in advance too!

This time I'm concentrating on structural before moving in, then taking my time over a year or two to do a few things at a time, so there's less rush.

Eg Restumping, dangerous tree removal & roof repairs before moving in, then once in, kitchen, skylights, ducted climate control, landscaping, verandas & bathrooms all separately with a break in between, rather than all at once!

Means it's gentler on my psyche and my wallet, plus allows me to plan each thing through more thoroughly as I'm only concentrating just on that thing. Fortunately it's just renovating existing spaces and not an extension (that's in about 4-5 years!)

Good luck and remember to get out often for nights away!

• Neryl Hollingsworth
    8 år siden

Finding so many cockroaches i should have called the Australian museum.

• Longer Time2004
    7 år siden

Venting the exhaust fan for the first time in a roof cavity with limited space (downstairs unit). At one stage I just lay in the cavity and chilled for 20 minutes. End result was ok.

• PRO
    The Napier Renovation Co.
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Cutting a level entry shower base in to a concrete floor then getting the waste out.....that was fun!

Good job I love the end results!

• Debra Kelly
    7 år siden
    choosing which white paint for interiors
  • Jackson Taylor
    7 år siden

Hang in there!

• Debra Kelly
    7 år siden
    ps . and waiting for council approval
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.