stemkin

Hardwood floors in condo have warm spots

stemkin
8 år siden

I live in a condo with a unit below me. 5 years ago I installed engineered wood floors throughout my home, including bathrooms. I watched as the soundproofing material was put in place. Last year a new owner moved in below me. Her father is a contractor and did work in the unit. When he was doing some work in the bathroom I noticed warmth in the hardwood floor in front of my toilet. I notified him immediately, told him exactly where the area was and it was remedied. There is RECESSED LIGHTING THROUGHOUT the home below me. Periodically as I walk through my home barefoot I come across other areas where "warmth" is felt in the hardwood floors. They (he) swears they did nothing else that would cause the warmth. He also said there is no concrete between the floors (huh?). The HOA and my neighbor both tell me it's my problem - call out a plumber and see what's the problem. I live in So California - no radiant heat. I have marked the spots and taken pictures. I have area rugs around my home so I have no idea what's going on under them. I have lived here for over 30 years so I have a pretty good handle on my home and this building. All of my plumbing runs up into my ceiling. I am 99% sure this situation was not there when the previous owners lived there. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

(6) kommentarer

• bunnyllg
    8 år siden
    Hmmmm, the only thing I can think of is improperly installed recessed lighting. Especially if they have installed Halogen lights which would burn really hot.
  • everdebz
    8 år siden

They have dimmers?

• stemkin
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I am told the recessed lights have not been changed. I will try and find out if they're using halogen lights but I don't think so. As for dimmers, I'm not sure. Do dimmers cause additional heat? thank you!!

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    8 år siden

Thermal imaging cameras can document the "warm" spots on the floor. Dimmer switches can get warmer...but that is normally at the "switch" level (on the wall, where you turn it on/off/dim).

You mentioned that you noticed a warm spot in the bathroom while the downstairs unit was having work done. You state, "...told him exactly where the area was and it was remedied."

What exactly was the issue that "he remedied"? Start with that question. What was the issue in the bathroom? What was done to make the warmth go away? I bet the answer to almost all of your questions can be discovered through answering this question.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.