elizabeth_mullard

Remodeling house for high end short term rental. Need style choices

Lotus flower
8 år siden

What sells? We will are remodeling a 1500 soft ranch to attract golfers and/or guests for country club access. Would like high end rental. Likely renters would be mostly guys, but couples too. What style is best to attract, maintain, and enjoy? Current style is 1950's ranch colonial/federal. That should not limit the interior to go more modern, eclectic, but unfortunately no exposed beams that can bring in arts and crafts look.

(20) kommentarer

• PRO
    Trim Spaces
    8 år siden

Hi, I would be very happy to help you out with this but it would be easier to do so through email! Check out my small business profile and shoot me an email if you would like our help. Thanks! -Trim Spaces

• thegypsyrover
    8 år siden

How many bedrooms? How many baths? Some pictures would help us help you.

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

Is this a VRBO short term sort of rental? I have rented many homes thru them for vacations. What I look for: great beds and crisp white bedspreads (hate those shiny ones!), nice paint colors on the walls, new chairs, great kitchen, nice areas outside to gather and barbeque. Plus, hot tubs are fantastic to attract renters.

Hate: hidden costs such as "booking fees" and high cleaning fees. Don't mind paying $35 for insurance to cover damage (I wouldn't rent without that!).

• decoenthusiaste
    8 år siden

For 15 years I've managed vacation rentals from Vegas to the Jersey Shore and market them mostly through VRBO. Without seeing the home in photos it is difficult to suggest what to do to the house itself, especially the kitchen. If you just want to furnish it with high end furnishings, you'll want to consider the architecture and unify the look. A clubby atmosphere will appeal to most guests if you're on a golf course. Is there room for a media or pool room? How many bedrooms, how many other rooms, and what is the function of the other rooms? Here's what I think of when you mention "federal." Are we relating yet?

Historic St. Paul Remodel · Mere information

River Oaks Residence · Mere information

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

How many people do you anticipate renting to at any one time? A group of ten? Eight? That is sort of determined by the bedrooms. I travel every year with a group of ten. We hate it when there are lots of bedrooms and it says, "sleeps ten" but there is only a dining table with six seats!

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

I can see groups of guys liking individual club chairs to relax in.

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

Historic Irving Gill · Mere information

• havingfun
    8 år siden

My hubby worked for a short while at a high end Hotel(?) It was where most of Washington DC insiders and many more dignitaries/famous/etc. stay. Even had a big movie shot there. Anyway, they did not have a golf course. They did have a spa, but everyone has that. As I said, they were so high end that most people have never heard of them, guess it is by word of mouth.

their comforts included of course the best in bathing materials. The best in sheets. They actually gave out cards for the company that make their beds, because they were so comfortable. All guest areas, had comfortable furnishings down to the old worn leather seating. They had crab traps made into end tables by a local artist. Concierge service - which was kinda silly cause the town was so small, that most of the time you were competing with other hotel guests for seats.

i realize you are not them. But sometimes you can have some of those same things in a different way. So any soap etc. you buy, make sure it is a higher quality.

Make sure your sheets and towels are egyptian cotton. give them plenty, and if they are white, they know they are clean. golfers are going to want one to carry along right? Spend extra money on better pillows and replace more often.

yes, make the furniture comfortable and clubby. Keep a couple simple, fun games. include local art, even if it is copies. Include a little book, that helps them negotiate everything from the tv (don't you hate it, you are tired and want to zone for a little and can't find your favorite show in the 100+ channels) to where to eat to how to get to the grocery store.

Are there nice bike rides, leave a couple old bikes. When you send them the paperwork, send them a card from one or two good restaurants, also a card to someone who will deliver so their cocktails and tomorrow's eggs are already there when they arrive. Remember the most important thing is the ones who are left in that room while dad or both parents are out golfing. Next time there is a golf trip, it is going to be to the place where everyone was happy.

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

Most important thing is getting great reviews. House must be ultra clean and provide basics in the pantry, pots, pans, etc. Everything works including all lights! And, if there is ever a problem, you get back to them immediately. Our group cancelled out on a house when a bad review came up. And, it wasn't so much the review, it was the lack of a written explanation back from the manager! Red flag!

And, price it right. The great homes, that aren't overpriced, are usually fully booked.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    8 år siden
    Tv visible from the bed in each bedroom. Reading lights. Real cookware (pet peeve when the butter knife is sharper than the kitchen knives) coffee and tea. Enough plates so they can have a couple breakfasts before running dishwasher. Plenty of luggage racks. Cocktail tables.
  • apple_pie_order
    8 år siden

Get the best dishwasher and garbage disposal. No one likes having repairs go on while they are trying to enjoy vacation. Don't put out any breakable knickknacks ever. Metal or wood lamps, not glass, ceramic or crystal.

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

I don't like lots of fussy antique furniture. Do like lots of extra blankets, variety of pillows to choose from.

Be sure to have great photos posted.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 år siden

I think you should hire an interior designer familiar with your area. High end in my area commands $3500.00 per night for one bedroom, sitting room and bathroom. The resort didn't get to where it is without the designer overseeing everything. There definitely is a formula.

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

Got to know where you live Judy!

• havingfun
    8 år siden

great photos here to please, expiring minds really want to know how it goes. Along with some pics of judy's place. Hey, PC, wanna go halvsies? maybe see a few shows, catch a couple museums? And there darn well better be some fussy antiques in there! Maybe some originals too. Known originals that is. tehehe

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

Sure, Havingfun, fussy antiques and old shiny bedspread. I get the master bedroom, you take the kids' room with the bunk beds.

• havingfun
    8 år siden

I am positive pc that you meant to say you would flip me for it.

• pcmom1
    8 år siden

Thinking golfing guys...I would have a covered outdoor space for that cigar smoking.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    8 år siden

Hello Lotus flower (great name) .This is new to the market and not very well known yet. Sounds like a good fit for your clientele

Reality Sink · Mere information

Reality Sink · Mere information

Best of luck on your project!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.