jacey_eve

Pressed metal kitchen splashbacks

Jacey Eve
8 år siden

Hi, I'm loving the look of pressed metal for splashbacks but I'm wary of getting stuck with something that is hard to clean. Has anyone got experience of day to day real life with pressed metal? (I don't believe house stylists or people selling the stuff!!). What if it is painted? Have you found a good and scrubbable (can't believe that's a word) paint? Would be having it behind the stove too so needs to be a non fussy clean... What do you think?

Oh also, there's a window and window sill behind the sink, so I'll need to figure out if a cut out for the window would be any issue.

(17) kommentarer

• PRO
    Larkspur Lane Design
    8 år siden

Hi there, I am a house stylist (sorry!), but also a practical type that is cynical of trend-driven renovations. Being a bumpy surface, you are not going to get away from the difficulty of cleaning pressed metal on a splashback. It would be even more difficult painted. If you are fond of the look, consider using some panels somewhere else in the house with less mess. around a fireplace, as a feature wall, or dare I say it, as it's original purpose! It is also a very prominent feature so likely to clash with other design elements. Call me a design snob, but I think that anything that has been done on The Block has been done once too often!! If you like the idea of a pattern on the splashback, what about some subtley coloured encaustic tiles? If they are sealed, the finish will be a lot easier to clean (being cement they would probably be fine behind cookers too!). Good luck :)

Jacey Eve thanked Larkspur Lane Design
  • daniellewoodhous
    8 år siden

I have a pressed tin splash back. We chose not to have it painted as I liked the silver look. I painted it with a clear varnish and it is absolutely fine and easy to clean. It was also way cheaper than any of the other splash back options.

Jacey Eve thanked daniellewoodhous
  • PRO
    Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
    8 år siden

Hi, i installed it in my daughters first kitchen some 4 years ago, before it landed on the block, since then she has moved and there has been a new kitchen and again she loved it that much i have installed it again for her. The first time we had a 2pack paint finish but this time she has gone for raw. Looks great.

Jacey Eve thanked Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
  • antquadebigpond
    8 år siden

Hi - I chose powder coated pressed tin because of the expense of getting a tiler out some distance to do such a small area. I thought the bumpy finish would be hard to wipe down but was prepared to accept it. I was really surprised that the bumps don't make a difference. I just use a cheap, wet microfiber cloth and everything comes straight off. It never needs scrubbing. I don't wipe it down every day, so the muck is sometimes there for a bit. I would compare it to tiles for ease of wiping, without the grout which always stains. The cut out is easy, do it yourself with an angle grinder or tin snips or get them to cut it where you are having it powder coated. Just make sure you get it cut before you powder coat it so the edges are smooth. A friend helped me glue it on with liquid nails. Simple, cheap and easy.

Jacey Eve thanked antquadebigpond
  • PRO
    Perfectly Presented Properties
    8 år siden

Hi Jacey, I have a black powder coated pressed metal feature wall behind my freestanding bath, and whilst it wouldn't get as mucky as a kitchen splash back, like everyone else who has commented I have found it really easy to clean. We attached it with liquid nails and you can also purchase trims that can be placed along any edges that you have had to cut which make it look really neat, particularly if like me you can't cut straight!

Jacey Eve thanked Perfectly Presented Properties
  • Jacey Eve
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks everyone! I didn't know it had been used on the block, if it's that trendy I'm maybe gonna put that idea on ice. I was attracted to it cos it was cheaper than other options and looked easy for my DH to install and seemed unusual. But if it isn't unusual I find myself discovering that was my primary motivation! ;)

thanks people who have it for your responses. I am encouraged by it being a wipe-down situation. So still definitely a possibility...

Vintage green design thanks for the ideas! Sorry if I sounded anti stylist, I didn't mean you! Just the non-commonsense variety. :) I've never heard of encaustic tiles but I'm definitely going looking online to check them out! Thankyouthankyou:)

• PRO
    Larkspur Lane Design
    8 år siden

Hi Again Jacey, these are the sort of tiles I am talking about. There are loads of geometric pattern options. they are rather thick, but very stylish. And made in Morocco by hand :) worth a thought!

• 7weed1
    8 år siden

If you search encaustic tiles in Houzz Stories several great articles come up, well worth a look. Below is a link to just one.

https://www.houzz.com.au/magazine/contemporary-kitchen-tile-options-to-consider-stsetivw-vs~27197001

• PRO
    Highland Quarries Guyra (HQG Pty Ltd)
    7 år siden

A great compromise is a tile by Pressed Tin Panels called Maddington. It is like a tile but with no grouting and a lot of smooth surfaces. I have been advised to have it in powder coated gloss. We are yet to install. Speak to your supplier.

Jacey Eve thanked Highland Quarries Guyra (HQG Pty Ltd)
  • Jacey Eve
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks Susan Croft, that looks good. I wonder how long powder coated lasts in a kitchen setting... will have to keep researching. We've done the whole kitchen now, just no splashbacks. So i'd still love to hear how yours goes when it's installed.
    (ps i've decided against encaustic. We need no/less pattern and something glossy to bounce light around)

• scottevie
    7 år siden

Jacey Eve I am planning to use southern cross infinity tiles in a pressed metal look for a feature wall in our bathroom reno. Perhaps they may give you the look you want.

• PRO
    Ceramo Tiles
    7 år siden

Hi Jacey,

We currently have a ceramic tile which looks just like pressed tin called Zoe Blanco 333x1000. Being a glazed ceramic this is easy to cut, does not need to be sealed, will not stain and is very easy to clean and wipe down. Due to the large size there is also very minimal grout joints. Just a different idea :)

Contemporary Bathroom · Mere information

• PRO
    Pressed Tin Panels
    7 år siden

Hi Jacey Eve,
    How is your splashback coming along? We are the manufacturers of the Pressed Tin Panels product (yes we sell it too - but believe we know what we are talking about- most of us who work here have a pressed metal splashback at home too!) I believe the great responses have covered what we would recommend for the panels as a splashback and that is the powder coating. It makes them a non-porous and easy to clean surface as well as a long lasting, good looking surface. With basic care it will remain that way for many,many years to come. We believe it is very competitively priced and an easy DIY product to install. If we can provide you (or anyone else reading this) a sample, prices, details of stockists, an install guide or a quote just let me know mardi@pressedtinpanels.com
    Visit our website for more info and ideas: www.pressedtinpanels.com
    Regards
    Mardi

• Raelene Redfern
    sidste år

Wow this was 6 years ago...and I'm just looking at the same thing. How did you go? Is it easy to clean and has it lasted the 6 years well?

• User
    sidste år

I've just seen this too -- Raelene and others , heres a couple of ideas I have found --

Some copper ones ( above ) , and whilst not tiles , heres some car-wrap vinyl that apparently withstands 12o degrees direct heat ( boiling water , fat splatters , etc I assume ) but it is only $30 a 1.52mtr wide metre --

• Kate
    sidste år

Pottsy and others. Look at this site it has a simulator. You can get the tin powder coated any colour

https://pressedtinpanels.com/kitchen-splashback-simulator/

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.