emmelinewe

POLL: Thoughts on bespoke bricks and mortar?

Emmeline Westin
8 år siden
sidst ændret:8 år siden

Deciding on which type of brick you want for your home has become as complicated as choosing which paint colour to go for. They even have evocative names! Chablis, Smoked Montana, Tartufo are some examples of bespoke brick (not quite Elephant's Breath territory, but getting there). But how interesting or important is it?

If you are or were to change the bricks and mortar of your home, would you go down the bespoke or designer route? Which combo would you go for?

North Road, exterior view · Mere information

Love it!
Don't like it
Other - tell us below!

(15) kommentarer

• Tom Flanagan
    8 år siden

I'm no expert on the different types of brick, but one thing I do know is that I love it! Although I have to say, I might just prefer it on an interior wall...

• Andrew Millar
    8 år siden
    noticed recently in some new developments, that the mortar is similar in colour to the brick.looks really smart. especially if the bricks are made to look aged.
  • kaseycoff
    8 år siden

Before we met my husband had designed a house for which he chose bespoke bricks; they were heavily textured (extruded) and of a special deep brown / earthen colour. The mortar was also a deep brown, almost charcoal in tone. It worked well and looked very nice - but I daresay a more standard combination, carefully chosen, would have worked every bit as well. So no, I would not pay the exorbitant cost to have customized bricks. Given the extensive variety of colour combinations and styles that are available pre-made, selecting customized brick smacks of pretension to me. (I do not, however, tell my husband I see it as somewhat pretentious--!)

• angelboyman
    8 år siden

Mortar colour can make or break an elevation so it's important to consider the colour carefully. With bricks, I love Furness bricks and would have preferred them for my new build, but they're expensive. I need over 30,000 bricks and at over £1 per brick - well, you can do the math. Instead I've chosen a cheaper brick @ 35p. Looks great, hard to tell the difference side by side and a whopping saving of nearly £20,000 - you MUST shop around and do the leg work!

• helenandy126
    8 år siden
    Hi angelboyman! Could you let me know who you sourced your bricks from? We are doing a new build and was looking at Furness bricks but they are beyond our budget. Thanks .
  • Frank
    8 år siden
    What's "bespoke" ?

There's a huge amount of choice in "standard bricks" these days - colour schemes, textures or sizes are all selectable. Is it "bespoke" if I tell the builders to source recycled bricks? If I ask them to match the Victorian terrace's existing? If I ask for a stark contrast to others to make the design stand out ? If I tell them to use a specific bonding pattern? If I tell them which colour I'd prefer?

I'd never go as far as having custom bricks handmade but I'd be inclined to suggest colour and style choices, or ask for ornamental pattering via colour or bond. I guess it's fair to say that to me, bespoke brickwork built with off-the-shelf bricks is what appeals most :-)
  • User
    8 år siden

Please take some words of wisdom from someone who went through a 2-year building process: the choice of one's brick and mortar colours are probably one of the most important decisions in the entire process! I highly recommend having several "test walls" made up and brought to the actual building site. Then, be sure to go by during different times of day and lighting conditions. It will amaze you how different they will appear. My home is based on a traditional Charleston "single house", and I chose a brick that has a hand cast appearance (not perfectly shaped) and in a Low Country palette. There are a number of modern brickmakers that have very convincing historical replicas. Best of luck!

• Emmeline Westin
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Beautiful porch! Where are you based @southernpointofview?

• User
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Thanks very much, Emmeline. I'm in Mountain Brook, a suburb of Birmingham, Alabama in the US. We have rather temperate weather, so we get a lot of use of the porch throughout the year.

• Emmeline Westin
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Glad to see you've found the Houzz UK forums! A porch would be dreamy, but they're not that common over here sadly.

• Jonathan
    8 år siden
    I think getting the curb appeal right is very important but there is so much standard choice I don't see the value of designer brick.
    I have a friend who renovates at least one house a year and maintains you never spend money on things people don't touch. ( ie: inexpensive doors but with quality ironmongery)
  • angelboyman
    8 år siden
    Helenandy126: Travis Perkins came in at the best, but I have a trade account with them and I bargain hard. If I remember, Furness sold direct but they just couldn't get anywhere near what I wanted to pay. There are thousands of bricks out there, you just need to narrow it down but go with the big names such as Hanson or Ibstock as they'll have close copies of most bricks out there. I'm not sure if the merchants still do this but once you give your site address and your brick, they register it with the manufacturers and then no other merchant can quote, meaning your stuck with their price. That's why you'll then be able to find a close match with another manufacturer so that you can then get another price for the different brick.
  • PRO
    dinkwood.com
    7 år siden

I'm loving the brickwood on this project.

• PRO
    ARKITEK
    7 år siden

Interesting work

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.