italiangal001

Splashback - I need help PLEASE!!!

Italian Girl
8 år siden

Hi, I need to choose between white glass splashback or mirror splashback.

My kitchen will be a modern white Polyurethane with no handles... So if i go with the mirror splashback I will also make the recess on the drawers and cupboards mirror too - Sounds so sexy....But being an all white kitchen, I had my heart set on a white glass splashback! Kitchen man thinks the mirror look will look a lot more stunning than the white glass look.

I'm so confused....Please help! Look at some examples of these photos - 1 with glass splashbak and 1 with mirror splashback:

(24) kommentarer

• juliahocking
    8 år siden

HI bernyzz

Maybe the white would be the idea, as it would be easier to maintain. The mirror- especially if near the cook top or hot water tap- would show moisture and oil splashes, which you will be forever wiping!!

The white will act as a mirror without the 'lost -in -wonderland' effect of reflections of reflections, that a real mirror will give. White also bounces back other colours that you place near it, giving you interesting effects.

• Italian Diva
    8 år siden

The mirror splashbacks they are doing in kitchens these days are commercial grade and are very easy to keep clean and will not show smear marks like people think (not the same as normal mirrors)

Mirror looks a lot nicer that white glass and is more modern looking, especially if you match the mirror look in to the recess of the cupboards and drawers, that will be WOW factor

• mickey1977
    8 år siden
    go the mirror, i did and i have a gloss white 2pak kitchen, easy to clean looks very effective especially if what it is reflecting is very appealing in colour.
  • Bethany
    8 år siden
    From the photos you've added and your other posts/ threads, I think you should go with the white...or clear with a B&W (mostly white) image behind.
  • mickey1977
    8 år siden
    sorry forgot to attach my photos - please see my kitchen attached hope it helps
  • Bernadette Brandes
    8 år siden
    Go mirror Darl ...it will be stunning.
  • PRO
    wwerty
    8 år siden

i think so too. mirror!

• haephestus
    8 år siden

What will the mirror reflect? The outdoors? A TV? A blank wall? I think that should be a consideration.

I would be inclined to go with white glass. That's what I ended up choosing for a number of reasons. While a LOT of white glass splashbacks can end up looking blue or green, I found one that is a true white and which blends well with the white cupboards.

• Italian Girl
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

It will reflect open plan living room, so it will go perfect! With the white glass splashbacks there are 2 options - Clear float and Low iron (starphire)

If you are looking for the pure white effect you would need to choose low iron, as this is gives a truer reflection of lighter colours, if the clear glass was used you would see the green tinge.

• PRO
    Windiate Architects
    8 år siden

i would suggest the mirror, as per many previous comments it will reflect the space well, or black glass, which goes great with a white kitchen.

• swampykerr
    8 år siden
    I liked the mirror idea too, so I went and bought a cheap mirror to test the idea.. It only cost me $20 and it was large enough to give me an idea of how the effect would suit our kitchen. I think it all depends on the size of your kitchen, your own personal tastes and how long you're going to live in the house for. We decided to go against the mirror, because it changed the focal point from our island bench to the splashback.. The reflection in ours also wasn't as nice as yours. The other thing we needed to consider was the idea that the mirrored effect may date quicker, than a crisp white.
  • Joanne Fosdike
    8 år siden
    I think you know what you want as you said your heart was set on the white splashback. I say go with your hearts desire and don't let the kitchen guy get in your head. I built a house and had trades people at each stage push their ideas ahead of mine - never again.
  • PRO
    VMD Interiors
    8 år siden

My vote is for mirror as in the pic you posted bernyzz001. But... as in this pic I think the simplicity of the cabs in all white is better. The mirror reflects a lot of detail and I think the kitchen would look too busy if you had the recesses for finger pulls in mirror.

• PRO
    VMD Interiors
    8 år siden

You make a good point Joanne. I always encourage my clients to research options and then go with the idea they keep coming back to regardless of opinions. What about a slightly higher kicker (say 150 or 200) which is mirrored? Albedor have a fabulous mirrored melamine board that is more durable than glass when used as kicker.

• Italian Girl
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Yeah, i really am in love with the white glass splashback. With having a mirror, i really don't wanna see myself in the kitchen as i cook hahaha...and can you imagine when you have a stack of dirty plates how that would reflect? I don't know, I'm still in 2 minds over this, but my heart is set on having white glass splashback just a little more than having a mirrored splashback, but am still not 100%

• PRO
    VMD Interiors
    8 år siden

Let me help you make a decision bernyzz...go with the white. Its timeless, clean and stylish. You can jazz it up any way you want then with different accessories.

Also, what about the lights? If you're after some bling could you have some polished silver pendants ?

• B M
    8 år siden
    Hi we have a modern white kitchen and went with white glass splashback. Love love love it !! Good to research options and go with you gut instinct.
  • Italian Girl
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

We will be having down lights throughtout the house, but we will also getting a few led lights in the kitchen just for that extra sexiness ;) I wanted to get 3 pendant lights to hang down onto our island bench in the middle of the kitchen...Need to do my homework on those though, because I want really nice looking ones ;)

• Italian Girl
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

bernyzz001's Ideas · Mere information
    Yes, white splash back it is!!! Thank you :))

• swampykerr
    8 år siden
    Be careful with the glass you choose for your splashback too.. Plenty of people go for white, only to find that it ends up looking slightly turquoise.. If you want a true white, make sure you ask for opti clear as natural glass has as green tinge to it.
  • PRO
    Amerex Renovations
    8 år siden

I was discussing this exact same dilemma with our Interior Designer last week. Her response to mirror splashbacks was to recoil and horror and declare 'why would you want to look at yourself in a kitchen mirror when you are a morning wreck desperate for your morning coffee? No-one wants to see that and neither do you!'

I though that this was a hilarious response then thought about it, and had to agree!

• Italian Girl
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Yes, I have already done my homework on that 'swampykerr' The proper one to use is called 'Starphire' glass, I will not be getting the one with the green tinge whcih is called 'float'. Been doing my homework on this for the past few months ;)

bernyzz001's Ideas · Mere information

LOL @ Amerex Renovations and Additions....hahaha that is very hilarious :)

• Kathy
    6 år siden

We had a white kitchen (I know it's not white in the photo- that's another polytec story that ended up in a warranty claim replacement kitchen- hence the change in colour now) and I decided to go with mirror tiles though grout always an issue however so unnoticeable with the mirrored tiles easy to clean too. Each tile is a different mirror effect so doesn't show any grease spots at all. I love my choice- a little pricier but worth it I say!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.