cynthiamatte

Granite countertop seam.

Pixie
11 år siden
I am having a granite countertop installed. The fabricator wants to put the seam to the right of the sink and not in the front and back of the sink where there would be less seaming. The reason is that it is possible that due to settling the granite could crack. What has been your experience?

(13) kommentarer

• PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 år siden
    My fabricator puts the seam through the sink cutout whenever possible. Are these new cabinets the granite is being installed over? Could also be not enough support at the sink base cabinet.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 år siden
    Norm...two u-shaped cuts? My fabricator cuts the sink opening from the middle of the slab and seams at corners or in the field. The front and back rail of the sink cut out are rodded with steel and epoxy to keep them from cracking. The potential for differential movement through a sink base is higher because most of the cabinet structure needs to be removed to make room for the sink. Our plywood substrate helps...but can' be relied on completely. With larger sinks a front and back strip is sometimes used...makes for four seams. but the epoxy seems to have done the job on the few we've done that way.
  • Pixie
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    The cabinets were installed when the house was built in 1995.I was not told that the support at the sink base cabinet was an issue. I was told that the preferred way to to seam to the right of the sink. Two contractors in my area said the same thing. I also was told that they would not be responsible if the granite cracked someime later on.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 år siden
    Oh yes they are responsible! Typical warranty, by law, is one year from install or substantial completion, when the product can be used for its intended purpose. Unless you sign a waiver (don't). Look farther for a contractor!
  • PRO
    11 år siden
    David, I know in Cali you guys use alot of 2cm, not the case here, almost all of it is 3cm. Most fabricators are using fiberglass rodding now due to issues with the steel rusting, expanding, and cracking the top. I know, it's encapsuled in resin, how could it rust, it does.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 år siden
    True on material thickness! My installer uses stainless rod! I like him!
  • Pixie
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thanks for your fast response. Is this warranty a state or federal law? I was not asked to sign a waiver. The contractor did say he would be responsible for repair if it happened within the year.
  • PRO
    11 år siden
    Hopefully it's not Chinese stainless, just saying...........
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 år siden
    It is state law that rules this area, but most national contracts read the same (AIA contracts come to mind). So he is holding the one year minimum warranty, good. Maybe have a further conversation and get a feel for the reasoning behind both decisions....obviously Norm and I have two different ways off doing things!
  • PRO
    Richard Niemietz, Inc.
    11 år siden
    State warranty, and be careful where the seam is on any type of stone eg. Veins in marble. And when he's done, you should not be able to feel the seam if done correctly
  • PRO
    11 år siden
    Ouch, the exclamation point hurt 8-)
  • Pixie
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    The stone is Sienna Beige (3 cm) and I believe it is from Brazil. The stone is being installed at my home in Massachusetts. I will certainly question the fabricator when he comes to measure and make a decision at that time. Don't know anything about fiberglass roding...is that something that that is standard practice? Thanks all for your responses!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.