jenniferdubemccallum

What's on your home automation wish list?

Jennifer Dube
8 år siden

We are embarking on a major renovation project which will encompass pretty much the whole house. Making our wish list now. We love our Nest and I am wondering what other home automation items we might consider?

I don't know if they make this but I was thinking it would be great to have motorized bedroom blinds that are synced with your alarm clock/sleep cycle app. I..e., quietly raise the blinds to let in light a little before you are supposed to wake up.

Other ideas?

(11) kommentarer

• drdeb1234
    8 år siden
    My sister had her doorbell rigged so when someone rang it, it connected to the phone and she could talk to them through the intercom.
    Worked really great. Till it didn't.
    Some glitch happened so that anytime someone rang the doorbell it connected to the phone company instead!!! Took forever to undo the phone company connection, and now it just doesn't work at all.
    More complicated ("smarter"????) isn't always better!
  • Kivi
    8 år siden
    I have been very happy with our Philips hue connected lights. They work like normal lights from the light switch, but you also have the freedom to change the colors to what ever you want for any given mood/ambiance.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    8 år siden

Going along with your automated blinds idea - you could theoretically program them to close at sundown so no peeping toms could look in, or to close when the sun comes blindingly through a certain window to prevent fading your upholstery and carpet.

They also make stoves that can be programmed or started from remote - ie you throw a casserole into it in the morning and it comes on and starts baking it a hour before you get home so the food is ready. Not sure I like the idea but it sounds convenient.

• PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    8 år siden

Instead of a number of single focused control products, look at a complete home automation controller like Control4. This way you have one interface for everything, and the the ability to automate many different devices and actions together. Control4 works with over 8000 different products from hundreds of manufacturers as well as their own products. It is a complete home automation system that controls & automates entertaiment, lighting, HVAC, shades, security, pools/spas, irrigation, gates, smart appliances, etc. Control4 is the #1 brand of home automation systems on the market. The most crucial aspect is to work with a CEDIA certified integrator like us, to ensure that all the correct needs are meet with the best most reliable solutions.

• PRO
    ZHiFi Automation
    8 år siden

Controlling window shades is definitely possible. Centralizing all of the equipment in a house is probably the number 1 thing I'd like to see clients do. It creates the cleanest aesthetic, where you don't have boxes in every room. Being able to control all the subsystems in a house (audio, video, lighting, hvac, shades, door locks, security, pool, etc) from a single interface makes life a lot easier. Control4 is one brand of Home Automation. There are others like Crestron, Lutron, Savant that work just as well. Best of luck with your home automation project!
    zhifi.com

• PRO
    Mark Schuyler Lighting Design
    8 år siden

I'm with <nnigrt>. "be wary and read a lot of reviews. some of the apps/items on offer really arent ready for prime time."

Review tweets/ sources such as <internet of sh*t> for real issues. If you do decide to proceed stay with vendors [Crestron/ Lutron] that have been in business a long time, and serve customers, not shareholders. Be wary of self-healing / mesh -networked protocols, because they only work in situations that are plain vanilla. Carefully vet your integrator. Talk to lots of their customers. You will have them forever, like herpes.

• PRO
    Fusion9 Design LLC
    8 år siden
    sticking with a major brand is it good idea, Control4, Crestron, Savant, Elan, and AMX are your top brands for complete automation systems. they all have their pros and cons. Lutron is limited in control of entertainment devices, distributed audio is the only function they have in that area. http://www.cepro.com/article/top_5_home_automation_professional_installers_control4_crestron_savant/K335
  • PRO
    Ready Wholesale Electric Supply
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Hi there! You may want to check the Lutron Caseta Wireless. They have the Smart Bridge that connects to your home wifi and it can control lights (dim), thermostat, and even window shades. Check out our website.

• Zackery
    8 år siden
    HAI is an amazing system, can control as much or as little as you want including and not limited to: automated lights, alarm system, door locks and door intercom and possibly automatic blinds
  • Germain Wong
    6 år siden

What do folks think about Nest?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.