edubya

What projects will you take on at home in 2016?

Emily H
8 år siden

Toll Brothers at Blackstone · Mere information

Do you have home remodeling plans for 2016? Changing some decor, moving walls or even building from scratch? Let's hear the specifics of what you are most excited about!

Tell us! (photos encouraged)

(179) kommentarer

• tklp
    8 år siden
    This is my final year of homeschooling and my goal is to then rid this house ruthlessly of a good 25% in here.
  • tklp
    8 år siden
    This is my final year of homeschooling and my goal is to then rid this house ruthlessly of a good 25% in here.
  • Judy Higelin
    8 år siden
    our plans are to refinish the kitchen cabinets (darker, rustic), replace the tile flooring, and replace or refinish the handrail on our stairs. We have been updating the house for the last five years and it will be nice to be nearing the end... although there is always that guest bath that could use a new vanity... Hmmm, maybe 2017?
  • melivette
    8 år siden
    Building our new home!
  • vyomanada
    8 år siden

WE are demolishing an existing extension and rebuilding it with 2 new bedrooms and a kitchen...I am keen to have an outdoor room too ...I want to create a space that is bright and warm and also to have that indoor outdoor feel to it

• Marcel
    8 år siden

Renovate kitchen and basement in our home we purchased 5 years. Its been a really slow process, but hopefully we can complete everything by 2017.

• Diana
    8 år siden
    we will finishing the exterior of our house. Houzz readers helped with ideas 2 years ago......installed new windows, painted the siding and changed the garage roof line to blend better with the house. This year we will complete the look by relaying the brick driveway, widening it for easier snow clearing and enhancing the porch columns. looking forward to ideas for landscaping...
  • Marcel
    8 år siden

We want to maximize our gallery kitchen space to fit a 60" built in refrigerator, 60" range, 30" wine cooler, and still have space to move around.

• quiltngirl2
    8 år siden

I hope......to get back to redoing the guest bath. Started stripping off wall paper and then hurt my back at work 3 years ago. Think I'm strong enough now to start again. AND.....really would like to get rid of the pink.....yes I said pink....countertop in the kitchen. And the carpet in the kitchen. What were the original owners thinking. Yep, it was the '80's. Pink in both baths too. YUCK!

• ntwala
    8 år siden

I am planning to renovate my house which I bought 3 years ago, the most part I love is my kitchen. I want to change the entire settings.

• quiltngirl2
    8 år siden

Oh yeah.....need to replace the PINK (there's that word again) mini blinds in the kitchen. Keeping the cabinets but want to replace the doors and then paint everything. And finish painting the hallway to the bedrooms. And then someday when I win the lottery or someone gifts me a bunch of money I would love to replace the carpet with wood in living room. And totally redo the master bath -it has pink and wedge wood blue in there. Sliding glass doors need replacing in the sunroom...they fogged up one year later after buying the house. LOL I'm starting to wonder why I bought this house. Oh yeah....it was cheap but it's sound. Did I forget anything??

• Eve Lyon
    8 år siden

PATCH THE HOLE IN THE WALLBOARD THAT THE SQUIRIL MADE IN A CLOSET WHICH PRAISE MY LORD JESUS WAS EMPTY BUT IT ALSO DID A LOT OF DAMAGE TO DOOR AND CARPET TO GET OUT. NO ONE WAS LIVING DOWN STAIRS AT THE TIME YEA.

• joanie_97
    8 år siden

I had to fix the main sewer from my house to the street 3 years ago. Since then a groundhog, I think, has dug around my front concrete porch and it is listing away from the house. Also the city replaced their part of the lawn too soon so that now there is an ugly depression. Everything in the front of my house is off kilter. I am going to have to dump a truckload of dirt on it and then add the grass. As another writer said I also have creeping charlie on half the lawn that only appeared after the new lawn was laid. I also am going to finally get my laundry room dry walled and rearranged to work better. I'd love to get a new shed for the backyard. Mine is 40 odd years old and needs to go.If it goes I can then get rid of an out of control 18 foot high cedar hedge that I would replace and keep trimmed. Last year I had the electrical entrance updated, with more to come this year. I also had a stainless steel fixed screen put in my new gutters so I can save money in the future by not having to pay for the removal of leaves every year. Most of all, this winter, I think that getting organized will be my first priority. I am drowning in paper files.

• Eva Wambugu
    8 år siden

I plan to do my roof top this year.Any ideas?

• harvey4754
    8 år siden

We've already hired a painter for the exterior -- just need to figure out what color and wait until spring. However, my impulsive brain keeps agonizing over the laundryroom. I've significantly changed it twice (in 30 years) and still haven't gotten it right. If I have a rarely-used closet (there are two) removed, I can squeeze in an extra window and more counter space!

• lcdsmith
    8 år siden
    Repaint and redecorate office. Keeping bookcase and chair. Otherwise?
  • patynichols
    8 år siden

I want to remodel the kitchen in my condo, and the master bathroom.

• speckledcat
    8 år siden

We have finally recovered from a large scale remodel of a kitchen and three bathrooms in 2013. Having regained sanity, I plan to clear out all the unnecessary junk currently in our office and redesign it to have two long narrow work stations for my husband and me. I need to add a proper filing system and new office chairs. Of course, in order to keep our grandchildren's mess and disorder out of the office, I'll need to reorganize (and maybe remodel) their play area to give them a better place for their art work and electronic game play. Now, I just need my Houzz friends to help me (1) stay focused and (2) get my husband on board. I'm not sure which is the greater challenge!

• Mags438
    8 år siden

With changes to an urban rowhome's neighborhood, in 2016 I'll be updating a rental property. First on the agenda is to update the kitchen which has been obsolete. Photo shows all kitchen cabinetry that exists in the 13x11 kitchen

All carpets will be removed and wood floors throughout will be re-finished.

By early spring, I hope to get new landscaping in its postage stamp sized yard.

My biggest accomplishment I could do in 2016 is to get out of ABB in my own kitchen!

I sure hope to get lots of help from my Houzzers and GW'ers.

• Suzy Allman
    8 år siden
    Finishing the porch! They started in July. :0(
  • shofer1019
    8 år siden

We bought this house brand new in 1977 and in the last 10 years have remodeled 2 out of 3 bathrooms, installed a new roof, windows, doors and siding, with the creme de la creme being the total gut of our 38 y/o kitchen this year. For 2016, new tile in the foyer would be on the top of my list but hubby is looking at new gutters. On the Big Wish list would be to remodel the remaining bathroom and finish the basement laundry room by putting in walls and flooring.

• marsheee
    8 år siden

Moved into a condo this year and planning to renovate the kitchen with new counters and backsplash. This will be my project for 2016.

• A Fraz
    8 år siden

Landscaping. We're in the final days of an addition, which has left our yard a mess.

• Nancie Clement
    8 år siden

I plan to make my closet fabulous in 2016....after I finish all the other projects that are lingering!!

• Della Badart
    8 år siden
    When we moved in I painted all the beautiful wood paneling throughout the house; this year we take it down.
  • takethecake50
    8 år siden

Well, I have a wooded area in my back yard. I want to go through there and knock down some small trees and make the area look like a park. when, I finish my place of peace, I will post some before and after pictures, wish me luck.

• squirrelyq
    8 år siden
    We moved here in sept and I said NO RENOS till at least after Christmas.
    My partner is chomping at the bit though, lol, it's after Christmas he says:)

So. Kitchen it is. Galley kitchen with no wall in inside, plus weird awkward breakfast nook. Have to figure out the design first, but mission is to make better cabinets in same footprint and fix/manage/figure out weird nook:).

Then as for me, (I'll be the helper supporter up there), me with two left thumbs, no design sense or handy DIY skills, lol. I will be fixing up the " comfy cozy corner". That is what we call the under the stairs part. I'm going to put in a light, build a frame and put down plywood for a mattress or blankets. Then add some small shelves against the back of the stairs, some cubbies under the mattress. And voila! An electronics free reading/resting/relaxing book for our three teens who love to read!

:)
  • D DN
    8 år siden
    Recover (mentally, physically, & financially) from the 2015 remodel!
  • Lory Hawley
    8 år siden

In 2014 we did a major kitchen remodel of our 1948 home, which is in Hayward, Calif. We have one bathroom and three small bedrooms. Our home is about 1200 sq. ft. including the garage.

This spring we are enlarging our 11 x 11 ft. "master" bedroom by 8 ft. and adding a bathroom in what is now the bedroom closet (it is on the other side of the wall of our bathroom). This will give us a master bedroom and master bath. Our bedroom faces the street so the 8 ft. will put us closer. To address this, we are putting a fenced patio with a door from the bedroom, between the bedroom and the street.

We have a small dining area that can only seat 6-7 people around our round table, and are drawing up plans for removing part of the back wall from the dining and kitchen area and building a new dining room. This part of the house faces the backyard, which borders a wooded canyon.

We have the great good fortune of working with Jacobson, Silverstein, Winslow and Degenhardt architects. They are part of the original Pattern Language creators, and Max Jacobson designed the award winning restaurant I worked in for many years.

Our tiny home is a rather homely flat roofed house that had been owned by Caltrans for over 40 years, and we rented it from them all those years. We were able to buy it two years ago. Our little house is well made and has good bones, with the major living areas facing the backyard, which is wonderful.

We feel honored that JSWD architects would take on our tiny project. I am a huge fan of their simple and elegant esthetics that honor small homes, as well as their beautiful work with various Buddhist communities, where they have built numerous buildings including the stunning meditation hall at Spirit Rock in Marin County.

It will be a challenge to blend the additions with the existing home, and my hope is that the end result will not only add major functional improvements, but also create a more attractive home as well. If anyone can do it, they will.

Next step is finalizing our design, then having the plans drawn up to present to the City of Hayward's planning dept., which has been very encouraging along the way so far.

• PRO
    Vintage Hardware & Lighting
    8 år siden

A simple remodeling idea: replace your floor and ceiling grates! We have many sizes to choose from in both solid brass and cast iron (pictured). Works great for older home restorations or to be a more sturdy option if the grill happens to be in a heavy traffic area.

Home Hardware · Mere information

Vintage Hardware and Lighting

• jo20
    8 år siden

2016 plans. Finishing the laundry room. New landscaping in the front and backyard. Building a deck, patio, fire pit, garden shed, garden boxes. Mudroom built-ins, living room built-ins and some wainscoting.

• J J
    8 år siden

Pkruid, you will be happy once you install the water softener:) what a difference it made for us.

• Eugene Summers
    8 år siden

At the present time I am remodeling my full bathroom and powder room, hoping the powder room should be finished today.so far have spent under 1000.00 to do it. Just blew a wall out in hallway to open up the living room. In may will be gutting kitchen and having it fulyl re done. I live in a 1550 sq ft townhouse and bought it for a cheap price. Have waited 5 years and now is the time to soak some money into it.

• patricialydiksen
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Will be remodeling master bath. Not under the $1000.00 mark. Spent $1800 on cabinetry alone. Garden tub & stand alone shower will be detailed in granite. Can't wait for finished look. Of course all cabinets are finished solid wood. Using a black w/silver granite counter top, included in the $1800 cost.

• jill jarvis
    8 år siden

Full reno on the kitchen (which also includes removal of a window to add a bar to a corner in the living room) and having hardwood floors refinished on the entire first floor. Moving out for 3 weeks...hope it stays on schedule!

• nancidemeo
    8 år siden

New to houzz I was looking for ideas found a lot more then expected! Also finding flooring and countertops cost more then expected! Just want to update floor , counter and a little paint keeping existing cupboards bought all new appliances. Never would have thought the appliances cost less than vinyl floor and Formica countertop. Really want a perm roof over deck in spring - priority floor, paint & perm roof! Life to short - create the space you enjoy most. Mom always told me (and still reminds me) champaign taste beer pocketbook. Learned the hard way but need to stay on budget and prioritize!

• feyoji
    8 år siden

This 2016, we will be painting and purchasing sofas. Then changing drapes and re-modelling a dinning set.

• Terri Reid
    8 år siden

After purchasing our house in October and doing some remodeling up to the end of the year, we are starting with the yard this year. Our backyard includes the pool, lots of concrete and a 600 sf "pee pad" for our 3 large dogs. Because of the continuing drought in California, our grass was not very hardy and it took only a short time for the dogs to start destroying it through play and digging. After getting several bids, we have decided on a company and having artificial turf (dog rated) in the pee pad area, with a gravel and walking stone border. This will cut down in our water usage and stop the endless flow of dirt into our house. The picture is what it looked like before the dogs moved in. We have already replaced the fence and removed some plants in the gardens and laid down weed cloth, covering with large round river rocks.

We are also working on the patio area, still looking for furniture but installed string lights last week that I found here on Houzz and ordered, I love them!!! Next will be looking to add a water feature to our pool.

• megohara
    8 år siden

We're just about to start a conversion of two side-by-side small (tiny) children's bedrooms into one larger guest bedroom. Once upon a time the space was a 3 season porch and the floor still slopes like a porch floor, so we're leveling the floor and installing douglas fir hardwood to match the original flooring in the rest of the upstairs. We're also using the opportunity to bring the laundry up to the second floor from the basement and it'll go in a closet in the guest bedroom. No more hauling loads of laundry up and down two flights of stairs! Hurray! If we have any energy and money left after that's done, we'll be repairing some of the plaster ceilings and walls upstairs, painting, and refinishing the original fir flooring.

• Barb White
    8 år siden
    We are in facelift mode. As we are planning to sell in a few years and the house is just about 20 years old it's in need of basic maintenance projects. Currently my hubby has torn out our Powder room and is in the process of painting and adding wood panels all around, new lights, vanity and faucets. I am so excited :).
  • Kathi Steele
    8 år siden

We are painting our grand daughters room and getting it ready for overnites!! SW Electric Lime Green. Pink curtains. Bedspread from IKEA with a princess wearing a tool belt!! White furniture.

This spring/summer we will be replacing our deckboards. The deck is 22 years old and is desperate need of new boards. Can't have that crawling grand daughter get any splinters!

Would like to remove the carpet from our bedroom and closet and replace that. Bedroom is 16X16 and closet is 10X10, so it may be a little too much.

Our cat was diagnosed with cancer, so we have spent a lot of our remodeling money on her. We shall see how much is left.

• oliveroasis
    8 år siden

This year we are beginning with the whole house organization move and has required removing, moving,and adding shelves and cabinets, built by us of course. I hope to fit in a guest bath remodel, vanity, countertop, walls...big job but looking forward to it.

• Robyn Edwards
    8 år siden

We live in a high bushfire area (2 yrs) so this year our priority is to spend time making our house as defensive as possible should a fire come our way. Other than that, living room is getting a full makeover, more landscaping in the back yard...we had to start from scratch with that, and giving some soul to the all white/clinical bathroom.

• Maureen Roncevich
    8 år siden

want a white kitchen with whiteappliances for a Pawleys island beach condo-complete remodel and the kitchen is u shaped

• Kathi Steele
    8 år siden

Suzanne Kasler has a beautiful white, island beach kitchen.... if you Google...Suzanne Kasler’s kitchen for a Southern Accents Showcase Home, you can pull up the picture.

Cote De Texas also has beautiful white kitchens and lists the elements you can copy. http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2009/01/kitchens-101-elements-to-copy.html

• Bruce Crawford
    8 år siden

Kathi Steele, I tried to Google (well, Bing) Kasler several different ways, but couldn't find K to which you referred. The Cote K is most attractive, but it's not as white as most white K's. It's more of a cream w/ shading around cabinet details, which really softens it. I'm not a fan of true white K's, but I could definitely live w/ Cote's, although my wife might say it'd still be too hard to keep looking clean.

Thx for post.

• tiarajenine
    8 år siden

I would love to give both of my bathrooms a redo, along with my laundry room. If I could I would add my kitchen as well.

• Kathi Steele
    8 år siden

Bruce, sorry you are having so much trouble. It is a beautiful kitchen. I found it under Google. images.

• Bruce Crawford
    8 år siden

Kathi, thx. I'll try that.

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    8 år siden

Exterior painting, light carpentry, and new front door.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.