llucy

Does anyone have painted cabinets that aren't white?

llucy
8 år siden

For decades, literally, I was always drawn to pictures of kitchens with white cabinets and glass front uppers. I think I may have become saturated though after seeing so many white kitchens on GW. Lately, I have been enjoying pictures of cabs painted in colors. My favorite colors are the greens, blues, purples. I find myself wondering if maybe I would like green lowers if I were ever in a position to do that. Or would I tire of them too quickly because they weren't neutral? What if after a few years I wanted to change the color scheme of my home?

Anyone with painted colored cabinets want to share their experiences? Why did you decide to do it? Any regrets?

(23) kommentarer

• User
    8 år siden

My friend painted her cabinets a beautiful eggplant color. I am normally not a fan of painted cabinets but hers were lovely. She loves them and has no regrets.

llucy thanked User
  • PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    8 år siden

I think navy cabinets are stunning in a kitchen that gets a lot of natural light!

llucy thanked Missi Smith Design Co.
  • phoggie
    8 år siden

Mine are painted pearl...kind of a cream...love them.

llucy thanked phoggie
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 år siden

The lowers on two sides of my kitchen are 'Dried Hydrangea', a goldish green, with a few uppers and the fridge box to match. The rest are a creamy white. I still like the two-tone color scheme after four years. I love painted kitchens--they seem so much brighter than kitchens with stained wood cabinets. Also, my house is very modest, and I think painted cabinets suit the style.

llucy thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • desertsteph
    8 år siden

I've seen lots of pics of painted cabs on kitchens. green, blue (light and dark), yellow, grey. Some have uppers and lowers different. I've seen teal cabs - I'd love those. or purple - a kitchen pic I saved (not from gw but maybe an ad or something a gwr posted as a sample of cab style, counter top. not for the cab color) had purple lowers. I love those too.

llucy thanked desertsteph
  • llucy
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thinking about this, an advantage of having painted cab's might be that if I did tire of the color after X years, I wouldn't feel guilty re-painting them to go with a new color scheme.

Missi Smith, do you follow the Kitchen Forum? Recently someone posted a few pic's of blue painted cab's on a thread there. I thought, "Wow, I really like those better than white or wood." It's what inspired me to bring up this topic here. :)

• jennbo
    8 år siden

We just put in painted cabinets that are on the grey side of taupe - stone bluff by Crystal Cabinets. Loving them and balanced them with wood stained island.

I love the idea of navy.

If you want to go with something bold (teal?) - I'd consider it for something that was a statement piece (e.g., island, hutch) versus the overall kitchen. But that is just me.

Do what you love because it will make you happy.

llucy thanked jennbo
  • scone911
    8 år siden

I have green lower cabinets, and white uppers. I think it looks snappy, and it's certainly unique, for better or worse!

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 år siden

We kept a wall of original built ins when we did our recent kitchen remodel and had them painted blue. (The rest of the kitchen got new white cabinets.)

• llucy
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I love the blue cab's crl!

Scone911- green & white is such a fresh feeling color scheme. I would enjoy seeing a pic of your kitchen if you'd like to share one.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Someone posted a kitchen a few years ago in a lovely, soft sage green that I still love. A color like that is almost a neutral to me. I love blue also, and who was it with the fabulous yellow kitchen about 2 years ago?

Mine are sort of a bone, so I didn't stray far from white -- Martha Stewart "Gull" It looks different at different times of day, sometimes more gray, sometimes more cream.

Edited to add: here is the green that I loved; http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.ca/2012/10/lisawis-kitchen.html

llucy thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 år siden

Oh crl_, your built-ins make me swoon every time I see them. I'm so glad you were able to work them into your new kitchen design.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 år siden

Thanks writersblock! I am glad we kept them too.

• Ann Scott-Arnold
    8 år siden

Actually working on them now. Been there done that with white decades ago. The devil to keep clean

THese are a very light tan-grey khaki (the tile backsplash are not easy to work with because 1/2 of them are a deeper shade of that color and other 1/2 are cream)

It is total of 8 coats - primer; base color; 1st glaze of color #2; 2nd glaze is scattered and uneven in color #3 ; 3rd glaze is thinner coat of #2; 4th glaze same as 3rd - then 2 coats of clear gel paste/varnish that is not a gloss of any kind.

End effect is layers of colors that shimmer through and add depth to the color without being obvious

FOr beautiful painted cabinetry, check out the stuff by a Philadelphia area high end custom cabinet maker. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roger-S-Wright-Furniture-Ltd/177421972291829

He uses the same stuff I do -- Old Village Paints (oldest paint company in the US and considered beyond 'premier' -- my local Benjamin Moore dealer is awed by that stuff after I showed it to him - nothing close to - not benjy, not Sherwin, not big box....)

WHen I get bored with this, they will become Old Village Dressing Table Blue (buttermilk finish so tough you can use it outdoors)

llucy thanked Ann Scott-Arnold
  • Lavender Lass
    8 år siden

The new base cabinets we got for our small remodel were white. The rest of the kitchen is wood...and I did not want to paint everything. So, I'm treating them like a free-standing unit and painting them light blue.

They will also have different hardware. Once we add some flower/vine decoupage to the wood uppers, I think it will look great...and very unique! :)

llucy thanked Lavender Lass
  • llucy
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I look forward to your reveal LL. I think I may have seen numerous kitchens that are so similar to the point I'm coming to crave seeing unique.

• Lavender Lass
    8 år siden

I know what you mean! I used to love white kitchens. I could still see one (with a lot of blue and plants) if I had a larger space, big bay window and room for a table. And maybe a fireplace :)

In our smaller, northwest facing space (with five inches of snow outside) the wood seems pretty nice. The green walls really help brighten everything up. And I just got some new knobs for the light blue cabinet....here on Houzz. They match the ones I already had from an antique shop. Mom is going to love the yellow!

• llucy
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

LL, I live in 1990's "golden oak paradise".

Dated though it may be, I find it warm and comforting on chilly grey days. Especially when chilly grey days turn into chilly grey week after week. :-)

• scone911
    8 år siden

llucy-- thank you, I will try to get some pictures up when it is more finished; it still needs a lot of work. And at the moment, it's filthy! :)

• Shades_of_idaho
    8 år siden

I had Cream cabinet frames with the jade green doors drawer fronts. I also had the same cream cabinets with a country blue door/drawer fronts. WE are wood now I am fine with it and it goes well with my backsplash, I have a mixture of painted and non painted furniture in our dinning room kitchen living room which is all open together. I am good with that. I also have different woods. OH my. LOL

llucy thanked Shades_of_idaho
  • PRO
    Mod Punch Designs
    8 år siden

I think Navy cabinets are awesome.

• Wendy
    8 år siden

I agree, the white kitchen are all sort of starting to bland together for me.

My color is supposed to be part of the white family, a pale taupe. Hopefully, I will be able to keep it interesting and different through details.

kitchen: flowing as one space · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.