staceyonion

Is this mirror too big?

Stacey Onion
8 år siden

I'm thinking of putting this mirror over the bench I have in the entry way. Is it sized right? should it be hung horizontally?

(68) kommentarer

• C F
    8 år siden

I ilke it better! But I agree with a previous poster that a cushion or pillow or something on the bench would look great!

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

This mirror style is a great improvement. It doesn't look any smaller than the first one, but the little bench loves it. If it's in your budget, go for it

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

I think the whole problem was the style of the first mirror?

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I own it already, so that's great! I agree the space is void of color and looks rather blank. Any ideas, besides the cushion, complete the space?

• PRO
    KB Design +
    8 år siden

On the first photo the mirror is not to big. It is too heavy. On the last photo mirror has a correct visual weight, but is very close in feel and style to the antique bench, thus, rendering the space out of the 21st century. (Depending of what your goals are style wise of course) I personally prefer combinations of style, and not period rooms.

Good luck.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I don't want to have a period look. I want to look current.

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    8 år siden

For a more current look, use the new bench and mirror combination, but place a contemporary design pillow on the bench. Is there space for a rug in front of the bench?

• susan2494
    8 år siden

You are not going to make that space look modern with either of the mirrors or the bench.

• PRO
    8 år siden

The addition of this pillow to the bench can add a contemporary note to the scene!

Blue Flower Floral Pillow Cover Boho Flower Hand Embroidered Wool Size 18x18 · Mere information

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Not much space. Here is another angle of the space.
  • Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    I like the colors in the pillow but maybe a little too modern for me.
  • tilander
    8 år siden
    An umbrella holder to the right and a less modern pillow choice that works with the rug..maybe something with texture on the left side of the bench.
    Stacey Onion thanked tilander
  • PRO
    8 år siden

Yes, the pillow is too contemporary for the rug, which we had not seen before.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Also, this door is never used. We always enter through our kitchen door.
  • PRO
    Suite Effects LLC
    8 år siden

You have some great suggestions here, but I'm curious about the use of a mirror instead of a nice piece of artwork? Although mirrors reflect light and can certainly brighten a space, I think that they should also reflect something beautiful. I'm not sure reflecting a door falls into that category.

Stacey Onion thanked Suite Effects LLC
  • shadywalk
    8 år siden

Wouldn't your guests use the front door? Their first impression. I like the idea of a piece of art. Try to make it something original, not mass produced. Tree branch?

• susan2494
    8 år siden

Wallpaper that wall for some texture and then add art and a table. Small wall pretty easy to paper it and would be dramatic.

Stacey Onion thanked susan2494
  • C Hamilton
    8 år siden
    I like it! I agree with previous suggestions of adding a throw blanket and or a pillow, it would help "bulk" up the bench.
  • shadywalk
    8 år siden

I love many of the ideas, but my suggestions are geared toward spending very little money. I don't see why you can't use the bench, maybe a couple of beautiful pillows, carefully curated for good price. Have you tried places that recycle good decor? Great resources.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    What places are you talking about?
  • Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I love the idea of adding wallpaper on that wall for interest. I can't decide if I should pass on the bench and add a table, mirror and lamp like in some of the above pictures. I like the transitional direction.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Here are some other side tables we have in the shop. Two are period but one is mid century modern. Thoughts? (excuse all the other stuff crowding the pic)

• susan2494
    8 år siden

I like 1 and 2. The last one would be ok if you changed out the drawer knobs. Check out some wallpaper, grass cloth would look good with those smaller tables. On that small wall, it's a DIY project. Decide on the paper, then the table. Then look for that piece of art and the table décor. I agree that a mirror should reflect something pretty, not just the front door. so maybe a nice painting.

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

I live in San Antonio. There is a wonderful store here that resells higher end furniture and accessories, called Bygones. Hopefully there would be one in your area, by another name.

Stacey Onion thanked shadywalk
  • shadywalk
    8 år siden

Does susan2494 own a resale shop?

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

We own an antiques store...

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

Great. You have been so helpful in this discussion. I have many antiques.

• susan2494
    8 år siden

Sorry, I am the only antique in my house :>)

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

My last comment was meant for staceyonion. Sorry

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I also have this...is that what was meant by a entry chest?

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Playing around with stuff I have...
  • Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Another
  • shadywalk
    8 år siden

I think the art in first pic looks nice and ties in with the pillow colors. I would lower all of the over the bench choices. Last picture would require another pillow I think? I still think the mirror is nice. I'm not of the school that mirrors must reflect something beautiful. Who ever looks at that anyway. You open the door, see yourself and move on. S

• PRO
    8 år siden

I like the last photo best and think the greens work well together. Lowering the picture 4" would make it look even better.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Better?
  • shadywalk
    8 år siden

Perfect. Any other pillow you could use? Could you pick up the blue or the tan? I'm not too crazy about the flowers with that picture, tho the colors are good

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    I could look. Are you thinking something more abstract or geometric?
  • PRO
    8 år siden

I like the pillow and find it quite interesting. Picture ht. is much better and could even go 2" lower.

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

Maybe I'm a bit old school on the pillow. II don't think it complements the picture, but that's just my opinion.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Looks better but I have to admit if I had a heavier piece, like susan2494 showed in her picture in the beginning, I'd prefer that with the gold mirror. Until I find something I guess I'll live with this.

• Jeannie Pope
    8 år siden
    What u think about the work art ? Do I need to change anything for more colour?
    Thank you
  • susan2494
    8 år siden

I agree with you Stacy, I liked the 1st gold mirror and you just need to find a good piece for under it. I don't care for the bench (just a personal opinion). I am wondering if that 2nd semi-circle table photo will work with the gold mirror? I actually liked the idea of a large box under it to give it more weight and to balance the mirror.

• susan2494
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

This is the wall covering. A bit pricey but for such a small area might be worth it. It would certainly make an impact on entering the front door.

http://www.mytwodesigners.com/p-2977-kravet-corked-wallpaper.aspx

You might be able to find similar in just a wallpaper.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I love how you took those pieces from my shop, even the box underneath! The table is 5' wide and would just make it in the space, It would almost butt up against the staircase. Do you think it would be a problem? There is a recess in the wall of about 5" to the staircase.

• shadywalk
    8 år siden

To susan2494, your wall paper solution is beautiful if client can afford

• PRO
    FLAIR INTERIOR DESIGN
    8 år siden

I like the both pieces and they go well together. My only problem with the space is that it lack color. If the wall is a stand alone wall (I am not able to see the whole wall) you could paint that wall to balance and anchor both pieces. I would not hang the mirror horizontally. Hanging the mirror vertically give more height to the space. The bench is really good looking and it would be a shame to put cushions on it since it will hide the caning seats. If you can, painting the wall would be the best bet.

• Stacey Onion
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    What color?
  • susan2494
    8 år siden

The table should really be on just the wall and not extend beyond. What about the 1st table? Is it smaller?

I don't like that vase under it, but the box under the other table might work with it also.

• PRO
    FLAIR INTERIOR DESIGN
    8 år siden

staceyonion - You asked what color to paint the wall behind the mirror you will finally use. Select a color that will blend with the fabric and rug colors in your room. Since the wall looks like it i standing alone by the stairs, it would be great to paint it a little deeper color than the other walls in your room.

• susan2494
    8 år siden

Did you ever finish this project?

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.