conifer18

Our new bathroom

conifer18
8 år siden
This is @ 6x10 main upstairs bath. We have a 20k max budget. We are undecided whether to try to fit in a small tub or use the space for a shower. We've been advised to put in a tub (this one is going) for resale value but we plan to be here as long as possible!
Any design ideas would be so verybappreciated! Also flooring, lighting, suggestions please! We are a retired couple and finally have time to do this. Our home was built in 1920 and we both like a mix of traditional and funky styles. Thank you!!

(5) kommentarer

• PRO
    Soapstone Werks
    8 år siden

Hi @conifer18 since it is a small space, a shower would open up the room more and allow you to do a bit more and have more storage. Depending on your location I can give you references for tile and cabinetry and we do countertops! Right now most people are using grey and cream colors for tile, cabitnetry and wall colors. You could do a modern classic look to compliment the 1920's aspect of the house. Using a marble subway tile for the shower would give you that modern classic look. Dark grey tile for the flooring would compliment that beautifully. Let me know if you would like more design ideas. 760-739-0655

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Been there, done that. Your current bathroom is what mine looked like before...

I kept the tub, refinished it and moved it to the end of the room under the window. I actually put the plumbing in the wall (which has its own set of problems), but you can get risers to have a shower in the tub. I moved the pedestal sink to the center and located the toilet behind the door.

I used the same floor you see in the photos below and white square tiles on the walls, but I think the beadboard looks great and would be period appropriate. You could probably use the same layout I did, like that in the first photo.

Jefferson Park bungalow remodel · Mere information

Renovation for the Next 100 Years · Mere information
    FWIW, my mother begged me to trash the tub, even said she'd buy me a new one, but I was adamant. When it was all done, she had to admit I was right to keep it.

• havingfun
    8 år siden

Hi, In regards to resale and a tube, i suspect they are correct. are you in a neighborhood that is changing, old to young? They are far more likely to care about the tub. what I would do is make sure that any connection necessary for a tub are left in and capped off. My mom did this with a wet bar and a dishwasher.

• felizlady
    8 år siden
    I reworked a decent-sized bathroom before I had knee replacement surgery. I took out the tub altogether, put in a fairly large glassed shower and plenty of storage ( drawers and cabinets) and two sinks. It's perfect. If anyone is desperate for a tub, there is one in the family bathroom. I know some people love a soaking tub, but we are in California and won't waste that much water for a bath. I know a real estate agent will say there must be a tub, but a retired person (like me) may not like the challenge of getting in or out, and a young mother may not have the time, and as long as you have one somewhere, that's enough. Remodel the bathroom for your wants, not for resale, since you plan to stay there.
  • havingfun
    8 år siden

yes, sorry, tea came, twas what i was trying to say. when you sell, even 5 years down they feel they have to gut it. Glass seems to be a huge expense. I knew an artist who just used a lot of chiffon as her curtain. I went shopping for examples earlier.

Knobhill House · Mere information
    see how it is just a little glass?
    Tribeca Loft · Mere information
    basically just walk in, glass to protect cabinet
    Telegraph Hill Residence · Mere information
    3 things here-though not old, I am now handicapped, on heavy oxygen due to cancer bout and arthritis brought on. Where would my hose go? i am sure i would slip getting up from the tiny bench. I can not reach the shower to bring to my level
    Master Shower · Mere information
    step keeps water in.
    Greenlake Modern Home · Mere information
    had this in an old house with claw foot, sticks to your skin
    1130 Sherman House · Mere information
    I kinda like the conveyer belt look! once again fixture too high.
    Renovation - Bathroom in Belmont, Victoria · Mere information
    again very little glass, will it hold a bench?

hope it helps, willing to help more, but i don't do tile.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.