marska12

Kitchen nook; cozy-up with furniture & window treatments?

Abby Marshall
8 år siden

I'd love some ideas from you Houzzers as to how to "cozy up" this nook with the right furniture, window treatment, and colors.

Please jump in!

I'm not sure how to work with the area under the window- from the floor to the bottom of the woodwork is 25". BTW, the light in this picture below shows everything as much more yellowish than it is in person. This wall is 13.5 feet.

The wall / bar area- as I turn to my left- color is truer here. 11.5 feet from the window wall to the lip of the bar. WWYD with this space?

Below is the wall on the other side of the window. This wall is 5ft 4". Door leads to the LR area.

Can't wait to hear your ideas!

(21) kommentarer

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

Window treatment - A natural shade - woven wood would be beautiful here. Mount outside on trim. They can be lined if you need light control or privacy. Many fabrics options available.

Abby Marshall thanked User
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år siden

Breakfast Nook · Mere information
    This looks interesting... A pair of banquette style benches and apparently a hinged one-legged table. You could modify this arrangement if you like it.

Abby Marshall thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    User
    8 år siden

This lighted wall art by Lightsculptures, could work on the wall leading into your living room. Or a chandelier could define the space and be a statement piece for the room. Check out more lighting by Lightsculptures. All handmade and created by Los Angeles artist Timothy J. Ferrie. www.tjferrie.com

• Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Deco- absolutely gorgeous! Another great idea!~

• PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 år siden
    Do you not want this to be your breakfast bay with table and chairs? How do you want to use the space?
    Abby Marshall thanked HMH Development Inc
  • Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

BB (I love those birds!) We were discussing that exact question last night- How do we really want to use the space? We are empty nesters who do not do very much entertaining. Kids visit a couple times a year. We often end up eating at the kitchen penninsula when we are alone and when we have guests we eat in the DR. So- honestly, table & chairs by the window might not get much use. BTW- the better half loves to cook!

I think what is most needed is:

A) Storage for little-used but beloved kitchen implements and gadgets

B) A place to display / store/ organize cookbooks & recipes

C) A drop-off area for immediately sorting mail, etc. and where the laptop can be easily accessed. We have a "full-service" office in another room, but it would be nice to have a little "mini-office" here.

D) A place to display or store some of our heirloom dishware. Right now it's all boxed up in the garage

Blue Booby Thanks for helping me to define the space!

• acm
    8 år siden

So, maybe an armchair or two, with (1) a bookcase, (2) a console/buffet table with a mail basket on top and storage underneath, and (3) a little table by the chair(s) with a lamp and a place to keep a computer sleeve... :) I can see it!

Abby Marshall thanked acm
  • Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

ACM- sounds wonderful, but I doubt we have enough space for all that you mentioned. I had considered a window-seat type piece with storage underneath--- there is only 25" from the floor to the window--- a bookcase will work- I don't think there is room for an armchair-

• Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

The window wall is 13 feet 6"

The window is 62" wide and 58" tall.

There are 11 feet 6" of usable space on the wall opposite the doorway.

It is 5ft 5"from the window wall to the doorway and then there is another 12" on the other side of the doorway.

Man O man --- what do I do with this space?

• Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Deco- how lovely!!!! I wonder if we could do something similar without actually doing the built-ins. Altho I love the built-ins!!! Wonder what that might cost...

• decoenthusiaste
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Call cabinet builders in your area and get some estimates.

• PRO
    Deborah Vanderzel Designs
    8 år siden

Perhaps a bookcase with doors for the space on the opening wall, then create an inviting seating area: settee on the peninsula wall with a small end table in the corner. finish the window wall with a small comfortable chair and bring it together with a coffee table and a great rug. Think small scale furniture: bookcase depth is 11", settee depth range 24" -30 " use blue tape on the floor to get a feel for the layouts and suggestions coming your way.

Abby Marshall thanked Deborah Vanderzel Designs
  • Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Maybe something like this

• Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I will call cabinet builders.

• PRO
    Deborah Vanderzel Designs
    8 år siden

these floor plans are accurate with your dimensions- you have more space than you realize! - you can have storage and a chill spot - Have fun creating this space with what you love!

Abby Marshall thanked Deborah Vanderzel Designs
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 år siden

On short wall, in corner place two chairs and an end table. Example:

San Francisco Decorator Showcase 2011 · Mere information

I like the idea of a console/sideboard with open shelving on the long wall. Example:
    Private commission · Mere information

leaving plenty of room for access.

This allows storage for hubs and a place to sit while you watch hubs cook for you. Also, gives you a bit of floor space for dancing...you are, after all, empty nesters.

Abby Marshall thanked HMH Development Inc
  • Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

BB- How very, very sweet!!!

This allows storage for hubs and a place to sit while you watch hubs cook for you. Also, gives you a bit of floor space for dancing...you are, after all, empty nesters.

• Abby Marshall
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Deborah Vanderzel Designs --- wow! thanks loads for the floor plan! Very helpful. Hubs eyebrows went up and he said, "yeah, we could do something like that". Woot!

• keenplanner
    8 år siden

Hire a carpenter/cabinet maker and have him/her build in a bench below the windows (low enough for a cushion, and with storage) and bookcases, cabinets, plate racks, or a combo of these things on both sides of the window. Keep it simple and adjustable, and build in some lighting into shelves.

Option 2 would be to expand window into French Doors, or Store Doors (one pane of glass per door), and build a rail across the outside or inside, depending on how the doors open, to create a "balcony." If you are close to ground level, you might even consider an outdoor eating area, with a BBQ.

I lean towards informal, industrial styles in kitchen and adjacent areas. Psychologically, these areas should look "cleanable." I wouldn't add too much upholstered furniture or drapery that looks like it would harbor smoke and air-borne grease. Same for light fixtures: Get something that's easy to wipe down. Kitchen surfaces get funky even with the best of range hoods.

Abby Marshall thanked keenplanner
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år siden

Are you in the mood to change the flooring in this area? I have an idea but it will require a new peninsula/eating area and therefore, new flooring. This is not exactly accurate, but just for concept. The peninsula breakfast table idea is below, although as an island.

The Woodshop of Avon · Mere information

The Woodshop of Avon · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.