speedielfc

Living room centre light or spot lights?

speedielfc
8 år siden
sidst ændret:6 år siden

We have just moved into a new house and we are about to start on the lounge. I want spots on a dimmer and the wife want a centre light as a feature of the room. Can we have both?

(12) kommentarer

• PRO
    The Design Firm
    8 år siden

Multiple lighting types creates more mood control. I would recommend that you put the different lights on separate dimmer controls. Everyone is happy!

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

I agree with the Design Firm. I would add that wall lights and 5Amp connected free standing lighting can be a help. Then look at the circuits and control of these to provide the most flexible effect. Also try to look for down lights that have a low glare bezel.

• Carmen Urquhart
    8 år siden

I would go for the ceiling spot lights on a dimmer, then add table or floor lamps to create more of an interesting feature.

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

Hi, to reduce the ceiling acne, you need to use a high performance down light (approx. £30). By having the lit surface set back the object/area under the light is lit. You can then lightareas in the room to create interest. Pendents are great for general Omnidirectional lighting where the effect is to light the entire space.

I think speedielfc needs to have the room plan looked at. Then consider how they will use room, i.e reading, entertaining, watching TV, listening to music.

If you are ever in a space where the down light is 900mm apart from the other down lights it is likely that a cheap down light has been used and the room use has not been discussed.

• PRO
    SM Electrical Supplies LTD (SM Lighting)
    8 år siden

Hi, I have to agree with The Design Firm. If you are concerned regarding how the spots look and "ceiling acne". We have been using recessed LED downlights with no visible light source (no visible lamp bulbs) for customers who want spots but do not want them to stand out. The SMD 12w LEDs are hidden to reduce glare, and the specially painted dome reflects the light out of the product and this blends in more with a natural ceiling colour meaning you hardly notice them. The light is great and they also come with dimmable driver. This leaves you room for your pendant also.

• PRO
    Des Res Home
    8 år siden

Having both is always an option but firstly what's the style of your room as this will dictate spots or not or what style of spots would be applicable? All lighting can be put on a dimmer or dimmers. I would always advocate a centre light to bring some character/life in to the room. See desresdesign.co.uk for lighting ideas.

• Lavana
    4 år siden

we have spot lights, a couple table lamps too. not sure whether to have a centre light too for decorative purposes or is that too much in one room?

• PRO
    Des Res Home
    4 år siden

Hello Lavana, sometimes you can't have enough lights - either for style or function. Just spots as main lighting can make a room quite clinical and will depend of course on the interior style of your room. I'd definitely make sure the spots are on dimmers. Table lamps are perfect for adding atmosphere into the room and task lighting (study or extendible arm lighting) in you read or work in that room. I love a centre light and getting the design right is key :) A stunning pendant light will add that WOW factor when you walk into the room and set the interior look straight away. It will also provide the extra and softer lighting for function and ambience. Think about what you want your room to do. For instance, if there's other areas you want noticed first then maybe consider a hanging light that blends in with the look more. If you want to make more of an entrance into the room then consider a show-stopper of a pendant. DesRes Home have a fabulous collection and you can always call us on 01386 257654 (we're open and delivering - everywhere) and we'd be more than happy to discuss ideas.

• Lavana
    4 år siden

Ignore the mess, its not finished yet. but the with wall mirror and the painting with the table lamps not what type of ceiling light would work best here?! A glass chandelier, a drum with shade pendant or nothing?

• Lavana
    4 år siden

*not sure (typo) I was originally considering something like this but worried it may look too busy in the room.

• PRO
    Des Res Home
    4 år siden

Hi again. Your room is modern, contemporary and elegant and I'd definitely look to soften the look with a pendant light. I can estimate the size of your room and I agree with you, keep it simple and stylish. Quality, is your key here.

I'd be tempted to look at glass, something that's reflective or that's clean (non-fussy looking) as you have a lot that's 'talking' in your room.

Some ideas would be...

The size of your light will depend on your room and all lights can have the cable drops made shorter.

Hope this helps a little :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.