hjcooke

Help please! Dining room that looks like a garage!

Heidi
8 år siden
sidst ændret:8 år siden

Hi, never been on here before but really hoping you can help me make my dining room look cosy and pretty and not like a garage! I love shabby chic style and have the Laura Ashley Milnsbridge light on order but not sure if to wallpaper the right wall or just paint the whole room the same colour. How would I make it look wider?No idea what colour but something light and fresh as the room can be a bit dark. Maybe pale grey/sagey green or a cream? Nothing has to stay and we've only been moved in a few months!

There's a beautiful rustic topped reclaimed pine table under the tablecloth (hidden from my 2 year old!) and I would love to find a pine dresser for the left alcove and I have a dresser top to chalk paint for the right back wall or maybe it could go on the left? I could get a pine/oak sideboard for the back of the room where the radiator is? Has anyone got any good ideas?? Just want it to look cosy, fresh and lovely. I also want to find some long curtains for over the blinds. I love check/tartan fabric but haven't found any I like yet. Any help much appreciated. I have limited time to find things with a two year old! thanks!x

(10) kommentarer

• PRO
    Helen Ford Design
    8 år siden

Hi Heidi

The room looks a little narrow for the furniture you are suggesting? I think a greeny-grey paint would be lovely (especially with the floor!) Farrow & Balls 'French Gray' is gorgeous and a little dramatic. If you want to make a statement i'd paint the walls, ceilings, skirtings, windows (everything!) in the chosen colour. Certainly cosy. I'd then (if room) put a sideboard on one of the walls to left or right of table with a big mirror hanging over it with potentially 2 side lamps on the sideboard (or a console might be slimmer). I'd lose the rug (chairs will constantly be getting caught on it unless its a bit bigger!) If you go for the drama in the paint you could then keep the curtains cream linen (neutral and easy - you could always add a border to the base). I'd make sure the curtains cover the box to the right of the window. You can add a check in with either tablecloth, chair cushions or table mats etc.

Food for thought. Pun intended!

H

• minnie101
    8 år siden

Hi Heidi. Farrow and ball have released a new colour today which may look nice on the walls http://www.farrow-ball.com/peignoir/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100286

i'd paint 4 of the chairs in a white chalk paint. Move the end chair to the opposite end and paint in a pale blue/grey and add a soft patterned throw. I agree I'm not sure there's enough room for furniture at the side. You may however with that chair moved fit in a console table if you can get one in the correct dimensions! I would however get the curtains in first, would also go for neutral. If you can fit a console in accessorise that, including a lamp/s and move everything off the window sill. I like your rug but I'm not sure it fits the shabby chic style? Perhaps one slightly wider in a faded persian style. There are a few around. Mirror/s on the long ŵalls will make it feel wider. Perhaps also a collection of antique plates on the ŵall? For the table a collection of 3 different vases/pitchers with good quality faux flowers. Perhaps a soft linen etc tablecloth for when in use?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Hello Heidi,

One thing that might help is using a neutral table cloth.. Consider a really oversized mirror that could lean up against one of the walls something like 8ft by 6ft if you want to get the feel of space here and the right side would be good on the long wall.. The opposite wall you could leave bare.... .. Remove the rug as this defines the floor area under the table which you don't want to do.. Hang a shade on the ceiling light and take off the frames from the window.. You could have a slim console here but otherwise leave the windows free so they remain as open as possible...

What your aim is here is to get the eye to see the room as a whole.. At the moment the eyes go to the frames and then the brightly patterned table cloth which does emphasise the table and thus the size of the room... Place all the chairs round the table and at each end of the table so they are evenly proportioned.. Easily presented as an invaluable space for dining. Shabby chic or elegant sophistication both are possible with some tweaking to the dimensions... ie the Mirrors! I think these would see you through! : ))

• PRO
    ROOM4STYLE - Inspired Interiors
    8 år siden

Great suggestions above. I would also put in long floor length curtains just to frame the window and take away that garage feel and add a bit of glamour. Keep them in a light, plain colour, tone in tone with your walls, bit like in the picture above, maybe in a silk or satin.

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Try Abraham Moon for wool / tartan, stripes and spots - beyond beautiful wool material, we'ver used it extensively! Abraham Moon - Re Chalk Paints - I have written an article on this as you have to be very careful which one and how you paint if you want it to last. See our home page under projects or visit our Facebook page where there is a link to it:- Bagpuss Antiques It's also on our own Website https://www.bagpussantiques.co.uk

• Heidi
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you everyone! Some great ideas here. I'm going to look for a long table and some long curtains and defo paint the chairs in a chalk paint. The table legs are Farrow and Ball 'Clunch' so does anyone know of a similar colour to that in chalk paint please? Do I need to prime the chairs first or just paint it straight on? Think this will really help too. Thanks again for all the brilliant ideas, love them! x

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

With regards the chalk paint. With particular reference to Autentico, it's advertised as will stick to almost any surface with little or no preperation. If you carry on reading, it also says, that for a longer lasting finish, furniture should be sanded, primed etc and then the paint sealed with wax to protect the finish as it's porous paint. There's a link to an article about it on our facebook page Chalk Paint, when, why and how? the article is also on our Houzz page Chalk Paint, when, where and how

• PRO
    JKG Interiors
    7 år siden

Hi! I love some of the ideas above! In particular, the floor length mirror and that fabulous farrow & Ball colour. I could imagine sitting in a room in that magnificent shade of pink for hours! I would add a plaster chandelier medallion above the chandelier to add a bit of glamour and layering to the room since it feels a bit flat. I really disagree with the suggestion for floor length curtains. I think a drapy, relaxed roman shade in a slubby linen in a tone-on-tone pattern. A cute little fringe or tassel trim to give it a more defined border is pretty and draws the eye to the space beyond the window, which would also enlarge the space visually. Some pictures framed in a subtle silver metallic would also widen the walls more than the black frames that are there now. Metallics always give the appearance of a more expansive space.

• Heidi
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

thanks everyone! great ideas! I'll upload a more recent pic soon as have painted in grey and cream now and am putting a painted dresser top shelf unit onto the left wall. Looking better but long way to go! Thanks though!x

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.