edubya

Anyone know what this is?

Emily H
8 år siden

Hi all, I found this at a garage sale over the weekend and couldn't decide if I hated it or I thought it was awesome. I ended up bringing it home, since it was really comfortable and I had the perfect spot for it. Anyone know what kind of chair it is? I didn't see a manufacture on it. The person selling it said it was from his dad's office in the late 60's / early 70's.

(76) kommentarer

• PRO
    homes55
    8 år siden

Yeah paint the frame white/off white to give a new look.

• PRO
    Proffesional
    8 år siden

Dear Emily , this beautifull , special and elegant chair , is definitly a making love chair ! ! ! I'd like to have it ! Will you be so kind to send it for me here in Romania ?!?!? ( i'm jokeing ! )

• PRO
    Proffesional
    8 år siden

IN ANY CASE IN CASE OF RESTAURATION , DON'T LET ANYBODY TO PAINT THE ORIGINAL , NATURAL LOOK OF THE WOODEN PARTS ! ! ! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ! ! ! ALL OLD WOODEN FURNITURE MUST BE AFTER RESTAURATION AT THE SAME NATURAL COLOUR ! ! ! FOR COLOURED FURNITURE , EVERYBODY CAN GO TO IKEA OR OTHER CHEAP MARKETS AND BUY THOUSEND OF COLOURED CHEAP FURNITURE ! ! ! IF THE TAPITERY IS VINILIN {PLASTIC ) YOU CAN REMOVE IT AND PUT BROWN SIMPLE LETHER ! ! ! THESE ARE MY SINCERILY ADVICES ! ! ! AND AFTER RESTAURATION MAKE LOVE ON IT AS THE CHAIR RESISTS AND AFTER THAT RESTORE AGAIN ! GOOD LUCK ! ! !

• PRO
    Proffesional
    8 år siden

I read all coments ! People without any inspiration concerning the utility ! ! ! Books reading when we're old but . . . .not even than . . . .

• Spataru Constantin
    8 år siden

I think is a normal chair but obviously is rebuilt, don't matter because it look's very confortable. Enjoy it.

• Joyce Anderson
    8 år siden

What is it? Ugly is what it is.

Emily H thanked Joyce Anderson
  • Lynn G
    8 år siden

You found the key thing to any chair you buy: it's comfortable! I love it! It's a great kind of design: I find chairs with arms and a back about that height to be very comfortable. If the back is much higher it usually impacts my posture in a way that is uncomfortable. And any deeper hurts my back too. It's a great design!

• alilu
    8 år siden
    tiffany66 and FLADenzier, spot on. I picked up a pair of these Drexel Heritage chairs via craigslist; they are very comfortable to sit in. Maybe not after a long day tilling the fields, but perfect in the morning with a cup of joe.
  • jillyjillyjilly
    8 år siden

Chair looks interesting and comfortable to me. Nothing more comfortable than a low chair. Don't do a thing to it.

• PRO
    Joseph Hidalgo, Inc
    8 år siden
    You didn't learn anything new about the chair, but wasn't this fun!
  • Gail Taylor-Gannon
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Emily Hurley it looks like a line from Alain Richard chair from the early - 1960 they made the chairs with a larger seat area to ensure comfort here a website you can check out it might bring you closer to this model good luck with your searchwww.design-mkt.com

• lturchetti
    8 år siden

Emily - I think the chair is wonderful. Don't let others tell you different - it obviously spoke to you and that is what is most important. It's nice looking (in my opinion) and comfortable (bonus!). Give it a nice spot in your home and enjoy it!

• Sharon
    8 år siden

Absolutely love this chair. It is definitely a specific type of arm chair and looks wonderful! Kudos to you for finding such a gem at a garage sale! Sharon in Houston.

• Penha Habibe
    8 år siden

Oh! I love different types of chais. this one looks awesome. I would like to have it in my house in BH-Brazil. I would keep the rattan and ask someone to recover it in a beautiful fabric. This chair is to be put in a corner of a room in a way it could be seen and admired by people coming to visit me. Keep it and be happy.

• Becky Harris
    8 år siden

That is one crazy hybrid. Fun!

• barron861bb
    8 år siden

Looks like a waiting room chair from the 60s. I would leave it as it is. I like it.

• carolyngarland
    8 år siden
    Paint. It is not a valuable antique. Reupholster. Mostly depends on where you will use it.
  • 1mssandrad
    8 år siden

oversized chair for an oversized person... perhaps?

• sm1111
    8 år siden

The people who told you to change it or its ugly are NO FUN! It is a great conversation piece and every home should have a few items that are unique. Keep it just the way it is. Definitely do not paint it and try to make it look like a normal boring chair.

• PRO
    Proffesional
    8 år siden
    nothhing
  • susanharrison
    8 år siden

Armchairs like the one in the picture were sold in the 1960s and early 1970s as game chairs. They were often in a Mediterranean style sold in sets of four with a matching low table. They were placed in living rooms and family rooms for board games or games of cards. The low chairs and tables were thought to provide more relaxed seating.

• streator
    8 år siden

I don't think there is any big puzzle here. This is a Club Chair. I'm in my 70s and almost everyone had a club chair when I was growing up. They were used mostly in men's offices or men's clubs. If you notice in movies in the 40s and up the men's clubs had Club Chairs, maybe some think they are Arm Chairs but there is a big difference. They always have the men reading news papers and sipping a drink. Yep, those were club chairs. I love them and you can find them thru many internet sites but not too many brick stores. Years ago the men did not call their rooms "man caves" but studies, smoking rooms and such. Men love them and find them terrible comfortable. There is a commercial now that talks about deep couch sitting and thats what these club chairs were for, relaxing, reading newspapers and deep chair sitting. I like that chair. I would put a tiffany style lamp next to it and a drink with a folded newspaper. Sherlock Holmes brother always sat in one in the movies. Emily Hurley, enjoy the chair.

• flamedog729
    8 år siden
    Looks like it's been recovered already as the lines of the back cushion don't match the lines of the chair.
  • PRO
    Finstads Carpet One
    8 år siden

Great chair, great condition. I would be tempted to paint the wood but you could leave it as is. You may be able to inquire with 1stdibs regarding the maker. They are experts in regards to period pieces.

• Marcelle C.
    8 år siden
    leave it as is. everything on that chair is what gives it character. otherwise it's just another chair...
  • pdk920
    8 år siden

I like it as is, looks comfortable and has character.

• joannpb
    8 år siden

I had a very similar chair in my first apartment in 1967. I painted it high-gloss orange and covered the upholstery with black fur cut from an old muskrat coat.

I loved that chair and (although I wouldn't advise giving it the horrific re-do I gave mine) I'm sure yours will give you many comfortable hours.

• Longbranchstitch
    8 år siden
    LOL, joannpb, those were the days, weren't they!
  • joannpb
    8 år siden

They were, indeed!

• PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    8 år siden
    Lovely chair! Please don't mess with it, it does not need to be new fabric and certainly do not take off the weaving. No doubt this sat in an attorney's office in the late 60's early 70's when gin martinis were served and a chair height ashtray sat next
    To that chair.
  • treschic2014
    8 år siden

Caning is very pricey to do or to replace. You would never want to upholster over caning due to its beauty and value. Brazilians to this day have caned seats in their dining room. Hence, I agree with the "Mediterranean" influence and would go so far as to say even Iberian in influence - at least for that aspect of the chair.

• promouvoir
    8 år siden

oh, the black wrought-iron, the rust, olive green & harvest gold of the '70's - !! & chairs like this, of course...

• Belahn
    8 år siden

It looks very "Mad Men" to me. I like it. I would leave the wood and rattan alone and change the black to a bright color simply because that's what I would like. If you like the black, leave it. Mine would probably end up orange or pink. It's cool. I remember my when I was a kid in the 60s and my father had some chairs very similar to this in his office and my mother upholstered them all in red.

• pdk920
    8 år siden

I like the black but a bright color would work too, depending on the surrounding decor.

• pattigut
    8 år siden

Do I know what it is? I'm not sure, but I think it's an ugly chair...lol

• danaelan1
    8 år siden
    It's a captains guest chair
  • danaelan1
    8 år siden
    It's called a captains guest chair
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    8 år siden

Is there a tag on the bottom?

• tiffany66
    8 år siden

Emily's chair is more the Spanish Revival chair than a Captains Guest Chair because of the low sling back and definitely the "X" leg formation on the sides. The Captains Guest Chair sits more upright, its arms and legs are straight, whereas the Revival Chair is a swooping arms and sitting position. See the chair styles below and you can see the difference. Definitely no "X" formation legs on the Captains chair.

First chair is the Spanish / Mediterranean Revival and the second is the Captain's Guest Chair.

• Teresa Smith
    8 år siden

I believe -- because my home was full of these same types of styles while I grew up -- there was a major move toward a very Spanish Influence during the early 60' - there was also a major turn to Grecian styles as well. It was an odd confluence of decor. While most people loved the more streamlined look of the mid-century modern, many people loved the more "Men's Club" look. I think my parents still have the stereo cabinet that would match that chair.

• PRO
    Diana V. McLean
    8 år siden

Probably once belonged to Frank Sinatra!!! Oh Frank could come by and visit. Seriously it is unique now so love it and show it off.

• PRO
    grh215
    8 år siden

if the chair was from the 60 or 70's and that material was man-made it would have most likely failed. With age as the components of the man-made material off gassed (causing cracking and peeling) if the material is in good condition it is some type of animal skin ( cow, buffalo or even walrus as previously mentioned) and i would definitely keep that in tact

• Emily H
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Yes, it definitely feels and behaves like leather. It is in great condition.

• Dancingtree
    8 år siden

You have a good eye for unique furniture. Even though you're head said "I don't know about this....", your final decisions was to go with your gut. Now you have a great chair and a conversation piece. My opinion would be to keep it in its natural state. Though, it has been re-upholstered at one time (it is somewhat "loose", the creases in the tucked corners are not crisp enough and some of stitching is not quite right), if you like the black, then leave it that way. But I wouldn't hesitate to re-upholster it if you want change it.

• Violet Silva
    8 år siden

Grosse Pointe Gut (Transitional Design) · Mere information

Could this be your chair, found it right here on Houzz. Grosse Point Gut

• junipergirl
    8 år siden

Chair for leaning back and reading the newspaper, smoking a cigar (cough) and drinking scotch. Yep, gotta agree with streator above in the comments, it's one of those 'man' chairs seen in foyers, lobbies, gentlemen's clubs, etc. Could have been used as a waiting room chair in say, a lawyer's office, or bank managers, but not at a doctor or elsewhere. Somewhere a bit of class was needed.

If you feel it is lovable as is, then don't change a thing on it!

• User
    8 år siden

Love this thread!

• Pat
    8 år siden

Chairs sometimes speak to you "take me home and love me". If you are hell bent on painting it then God help you. I would suggest a little more research. Some one from a museum may be able to help you. Pat

• Pat
    8 år siden

I forgot, sit and have a martini while you do your research. Pat

• whichmark
    8 år siden

I like your chair! Great find. Hope you enjoy it.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.