jaeger24

Need help with hardwood flooring in kitchen

jaeger24
11 år siden
I am updating my lake home. Attached are photos of my cabinets, furniture, carpeting, and wall color. I can't decide between the charcoal maple or the natural maple. I want something that is modern and won't go out of style in 10 years. I have lots of light coming in all the windows. I also have a sample of a granite countertop I think is very nice. Please help me decide!! This is a big expense and i want to make the right decision.

(18) kommentarer

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 år siden
    I agree, the charcoal floor is quite unique. The dark wood in the middle would be the 'safe' route if that suits you better.
  • PRO
    Geneva Floors
    11 år siden
    Love the charcoal and it's a more modern look.
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    11 år siden
    Jaeger, my suggestion when people are decoratilng/designing and they want a look to last, then go middle ground with higher investment aspects of your decor. Gray is SUPER in style now. A medieum finish, not to dark and not to light is where I would recommend you go. Definitely notthe gray as in a few years you will regret it. The flooring that you have your flooring samples on are where you need to be and they go well with your cabinets. You could go a speck deeper if you want. That is my suggestion. Hope it works for you. Good Luck
  • PRO
    Edmonton Homecrafters
    11 år siden
    I would just refinish the oak floor you have with a water based finish to freshen it up and get rid of the yellowing poly urethane that it there. Next I would do away with the natural wood baseboard and install a 4" or 5" flat baseboard painted benjamin Moore cc-20 in advance paint semi. Your floor will be stunning and your baseboard will really "pop". it will be modern and timeless. Don't put a stained floor out at the lake, natural floors are easily maintained, and easy to repair if there is any sand tracked in.
  • jaeger24
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    The sample of the granite is the small sample to the right of the cabinet door behind the chair.
  • Amy Stanley
    11 år siden
    Are the middle floors a possibility too? I do really love the gray but I am not sure you will still love it in 10 years. Can the flooring be sanded and refinished later on? The medium shade in the middle photo is a very "safe" option. The dark floor is gorgeous too though you might get bored with that too.
  • jaeger24
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thank you to everyone for the expert advise. I love Houzz!! The medium flooring is not at my lake home. The pictures were taken here at my home. I had a pipe break in my kitchen at the lakes and the wood flooring was trashed. Now I have a chance to put down something new and timeless.I love the gray, but if it is going to go out of style in 10 years, that is not the route I want to go.

I thought you want contrast between your cabinets and your flooring. Is that old school? Because my cabinets are medium, I picked out a dark and a light wood. I will go to the flooring company today and pick out a few medium wood tones and repost. With all your help, hopefully I will come up with a solution.
    Thank you again.
  • Amy Stanley
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    You could try a different wood type as well- your cabinets are maple which is a closed grain wood, oak and cherry have more movement and can give you a variation while having a color in common. Something in a medium to dark hue with bits of the cabinet color in them could work..I have an autumn
    brown maple cabinet and a country cherry floor the floors are lighter then
    the cabinets but there are spots of the dark wood in them that tied it all
    together. From your first two choices the lighter maple would be your best choice for longevity.
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 år siden
    Variegated wood tones would be beautiful and timeless. The dark gray will truly drive you bananas with seeing every particle that falls on it. Last thing you need while vacationing, is high maintenance. The granite will be the focal point that gives the contrast and drama.
  • feeny
    11 år siden
    Use dark gray anywhere except on the wood floor. Wood floors should be as timeless as possible so you don't have to refinish them anytime soon, and gray floors are a definitely passing trend.
  • jaeger24
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Hello to all my Houzz designers<
    I picked up a few more hardwood floor samples today that are more in the medium color range. I also have some granite samples for my countertops. Dark brown, black and a slate. The wood samples from left to right are, 1) Mulan 2) Jacksonwood 3) American Cherry I am going to purchase the 5" in which ever wood we decide to go with. I really don't know much about Mulan or Jacksonwood. How did I do today? Which wood sample do you think goes the best with my cabinets and will be timeless? THANK YOU!!!
  • PRO
    NEWTYQ DESIGNS
    11 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 år siden
    Who lives in the home? Which direction do the windows face? If they face towards the west and / or south it is a lot easier but if they are east or north; go light! The kitchen is the key to the FEELING of the home. If you use dark colors on the floors and live in a cold climate where the Winters effect the people in the home, always go lighter! If you do decide on the darker flooring look into a gold - yellow color for the walls in a bright tone, or a yellow green to go with the grey. This will also help to offset the cabinets. Be very careful not use a muted tone on the walls.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    11 år siden
    Definitely the charcoal floor.
  • Amy Stanley
    11 år siden
    Love the 2nd two! The color changes in three are pretty awesome and yet the middle one is timeless..Either of these two would work..I think number one blends into the cabinets too much. Did you change your mind on your original counter choice?
  • jaeger24
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    No. My original thought on the counter top was the slate colored granite. I also like the dark brown and black.
  • jaeger24
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Its a lake home with windows on all walls. Sun beats in all day. Mostly morning and afternoon.
  • shortped
    11 år siden
    Look at azteca granite...brown and gray combo
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.