rachelmarwah

Where to cut the picture rail after opening up a wall.

rachelmarwah
8 år siden

I've opened up 2 rooms into one. One room has a picture rail which runs below the level of the cut in the wall. This side is an Edwardian room with lots of original period features and the other room will house the new modern kitchen. I am in a quandary as to where to end the picture rail and also where to paint similar colours.

(10) kommentarer

• 163 hrd
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

If it helps I just had a look at all my rooms that have picture rails. In all bar one room, the picture rail is level with the door mouldings. However the rail is slightly below the door moulding in one room, and I have never noticed it before. It seems to me that the rail needs to continue on all 4 walls, even if the opening is slightly higher. The wall with the new opening is still part of the same room so paint accordingly.

• S Niko
    8 år siden
    Ours is in line with the top of the opening
  • PRO
    JW Architects Ltd
    8 år siden
    Maybe look at all the strong horizontal lines you have in both rooms, so what height Kitchen units are you having and that might be a good place to stop the new opening. Then, can you run the picture rail around all four walls or will it be too low? I'm not convinced on an architrave as if you are going into a new modern Kitchen the opening may look better as square edge plaster.
  • minnie101
    8 år siden

Hi. An expensive option is to raise your picture rail although not ideal as your plastering has been finished or lower the arch slightly.

Or you could run some quadrant "beading" down the sides of the arch so you can have a mitred edge on the picture rail (I think!). Or a cheap option which may look ok is just paint the top of the arch in whatever paint you use.Or if you're having ŵall units either side of the arch then just continue the picture rail slightly. In terms of colour I'd treat it as one room for the primary colour but you can use feature ŵall/s and use different complementary accent colours in both rooms if wanted

• PRO
    South Wales Garden Design
    8 år siden

Could the picture rail end where it meets the arch wall and maybe paint a different colour to differentiate from the rest of the room. I would paint that wall the same colour as the kitchen so that it leads into it.

We had a similar problem when trying to end the skirting board at the fireplace hearth. The carpenter mitred the skirting profile to the end. So your picture rail could end at the arch.

• PRO
    MaisieMoodesign
    8 år siden
    I think that as this is a new addition, that you should embrace it & not try to match it with the original style! It could look a bit naff :)
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 år siden
    Hello Rachel,

I would leave the arch plain as is. One fantastic way of dealing with dado and picture rails and even skirting is simply to paint it! By that I mean leave the beading off altogether and paint the separations. This was common in the servants quarters where details were left to a minimum but actually I love this look !!

It not only suggests a period aesthetic but has a really modern and contemporary feel. The same can be done with skirting. With the floor have a simple bead around the edge of the floor to finish. Mask the height and paint a line. Same again to picture rail height etc etc...

I would add architrave to doors only and then try my suggestions. If you really want to add detail to the skirting you can decide how high, then add beading along the top and several sections (depending on height overall of room) or base only if height minimal and skirting minimal. Then paint the lot the colour of your choosing.

:))
  • Jonathan
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I wouldn't put architrave around the new opening. I would stop the picture rail at the edge of the opening but I would have the ends mitred so that they don't look unfinished.
    You might also consider corbels for inside the new opening which I think will distract you eye and you won't notice the absence of picture rail in the kitchen part of the room

• rachelmarwah
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thanks to everyone for your very useful comments. lots to consider!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.