hfranze

Window/door locations and sizes

hfranze
8 år siden
Hi,

Need help!!! We are building in south Australia, the back of our house is west facing, the reason why we have wrapped the alfresco around the back of the house. However I am worried of not getting enough natural light into our open plan back area. We originally had the alfresco only in front of the lounge and pool started from the kitchen and ran to the back fence.

Can I please have advice on the attached plan.

Lounge area we are thinking large stacker doors 2.7-3m in height.

Dining area thinking large French door, let some light in but also leave wall space for art work etc

Window left of lounge large window? This one is the big question mark one, do we have it, do we have a wall here instead, do we connect it all the way to the kitchen French doors around the corner?

Kitchen French doors or just one 1100 glass French door leaving a little wall space or should we go straight to the corner

Other idea on the dining/ lounge wall is to do just 1 highlife window?

So confused, want to get the right light and look attractive!

Please help

(8) kommentarer

• PRO
    Design Fusion
    8 år siden
    What is your ceiling height? If you have a couple of northern windows you won't have to worry about it being to dark. Perhaps a long high window above the tv and keep the French doors as you have drawn them on there (depending on what will be out there).
  • hfranze
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Hi we have 3m ceilings.
  • PRO
    Design Fusion
    8 år siden
    I think 1x1100mm door in the kitchen. Yes, high window above the TV area and French doors in the dining. Window on the small wall in the lounge is optional, may depend on furniture placement. Good luck
  • Vy
    8 år siden

you have same west facing as us..we have bifolds placement of our TV same as yours..you'll get glare at pretty much dinner time ..when the sun starts to set ..we haven't got blinds on our doors still figuring out how to get rid of the sun

the wrapped around alfresco you can have a sun roof that open and close or louvres that opens to let sunlight in..this is ours with louvres..was worried about it being dark but it's fine :)

• PRO
    VMD Interiors
    8 år siden

I agree with Design Fusion but I do like the large French doors from the kitchen. Don't think its worth putting in the corner window as they are expensive and you're not gaining much view.

Definitely have a Highlite windows above the TV. You could also have tall narrow windows on either side tucked in next to wall on the left and fireplace on the right. Our northerly light is so lovely its a shame not to use as much as possible.

I also suggest making the stacker door opeining a little narrower to give some wall protection for the TV. The West sun is going to be an issue and you'll need to allow for blinds or sheer curtains to cut the glare.

• Kirsten Mortensen
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Hi there, I'm no 'expert' however... French doors, are they going to be able to open back on themselves? As I notice that off your kitchen in the wee corner - when the doors are open this will become unusable space (as they will need to be fastened / hooked somehow to stay open).

I would also suggest a cavity slider for your pantry (unless your plans already show this, am not sure), rather than a door or just an opening.

Our tv also sits in a similar position - we get quite a lot of glare through our large windows - we ended up tinting them 1 shade darker than normal (when we double glazed). And I still haven't worked out if I want blinds or come form of curtain.

Good luck with it all.

• PRO
    Sparks Fly Electrical
    8 år siden

If you do find yourself not 100 per cent happy with the amount of light you get in the final product, I recommend looking into LED skylights. They are a pretty great product these days!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.