tatiana_fichmann

Need help with living room

Tati
8 år siden

I'm trying to decorate my living room but I think this needs a touch of "something" or "warm" color to bring some sort of contrast. My concern is that, given the final look is more towards classic, how can I use color here? Questions:
1. Should I do an accent wall
2. How can I decorate the mantel to bring some "life" to it?
3. Any other ideas?

Thank you!!!!

(42) kommentarer

• susan2494
    8 år siden

I suggest you add a bit of color with your accessories. You really need a longer console for the TV. It should be 25% longer than TV size. Also mirror is hung a bit too high. Add a table lamp. What is behind sofa? I wonder if a sofa table is needed?

• Sarah
    8 år siden

You have a lovely room with classic pieces.

I would lower the mirror by at least 6". For the mantle, pull a skinny vase from your stash & add some long branches to force bloom. Add a couple of candles in hurricanes. Then add a couple of cloth bound books to your media unit for texture & color. Change out the throw pillows to a color you love (and that is in a much smaller print than your other prints). Add a plant in front of the window. Put in some lighting unless there are already 3 sources (I can't tell from the photo).

Also- can you get a larger rug? The one you have is really nice, but appears to be too small by 1-2 feet on each side. If you can't get a larger one like that, consider layering a large sisal rug underneath.

• susan2494
    8 år siden

• Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Susan I really liked what you created above, all the comments were really helpful, thank you VERY MUCH!!!! I got the furniture delivered yesterday and still trying to decide what to do, maybe a nice painting with the same blue color on the wall below...

I haven't decided what to do with the breakfast area either, was thinking of black chalkboard wall but since the room is too classic, i'm worried it wont work..the cabinets are also white and i know i need some color on the wall to contrast, slightly darker at least, like a beige.... :)

• susan2494
    8 år siden

• Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I was thinking about adding some yellow since it goes well with light gray. I thought about replacing the mirror with a painting that has yellow on it, however having 2 paintings (one above fireplace and one at that wall) would be a bit too much...I will get some yellow pillows to contrast as well. Biggest challenge is the lamp: there;s no power plug and I don't know what to do :(

• susan2494
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

You can buy cordless lamps, they are not cheap (250-350) but well worth to have a lamp. Do web search.

Yellow is a great color to add. You can even do yellow and turquoise. They are great together.

• PRO
    MG New York Architects
    8 år siden

Definitely some green (plants!) would go a long way, also will introduce another dimension to the space.

• susan2494
    8 år siden

You can add floor lamps also

• drdeb1234
    8 år siden
    You have a lovely home. What you need is some art. Fabulous substantial pieces that you LOVE! That will make all the difference!!!!!
  • Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I wasn't happy with that mirror from ZGallerie and ended up returning it. I bought this Chelsea lamp from Pottern Barn and really loved it, and I'm using yellow to contrast. Any other suggestions? :)

• Kim C
    8 år siden
    Your house is beautiful!!! What about adding a plant for a pop of green? You could have it in a large, heavy pottery pot that could be a shade of yellow or just a natural colour.
  • Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thank you! Yes definitely will add some green, I wasn't sure about the 2 paintings I got today, I also bought like a little tree (not sure how it's called) but I forgot at the store and no one found it :( will have to buy another one. Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions, really appreciate that!!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    8 år siden

I like the warm and creamy yellow you've added, but I'd prefer using it in the winter when all the light furniture could use a warm up. In warmer weather I'd opt for a cool color. Would you consider purple? Art above the FP should include the tones you'll use as your accent, and it isn't too expensive to switch out art and accessories twice a year. At the dining wall, I'd prefer a mirror to reflect the chandelier, as long as the TV doesn't dominate the reflection. If it does, then art or a carved screen could to the trick. Here's a color inspiration for you...

"Broken Majesty" Purple and Gold Textured Art Painting · Mere information

• Sal Conti
    8 år siden

• Sal Conti
    8 år siden

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Two paintings would be too much? Never! You can never have too much art.

• User
    8 år siden

Your breakfast nook is a great space for an accent wall. Against the far wall, to create an atmosphere and make it cohesive. Also any ceiling pendants look especially good when looking into the space and seeing the pendant against an accent wall. I could see a gallery wall behind the lr chair, to the left of the arch. You have a little one and I'm sure you have photos ....

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

I'm not generally a fan of mirrors--they're used way too much when people can't figure out what else to do--but in this case, I wish you'd kept it. Your room is beautiful and deserves to be doubled.

I like this art with your new yellow pillow and throw.

• User
    8 år siden

Gold and gray do go together fine, although it doesn't have the richness of a deep blush used as contrast. I liked your mirror and thought it just needed a few more pieces - vertical accents. The painting is okay, but I couldn't give it a front and center position, which the fireplace is.

• anthip
    8 år siden

I'm with Grover. You can never have too much art. It absolutely brings a room to life.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 år siden

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Meadows Of Gold I by Maxine Price · Mere information

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Riding The Wave I by Maxine Price · Mere information

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    8 år siden

These are some ideas, hopefully they will help you!

Chelsea Loft · Mere information

Hamptons Hideaway · Mere information

Hamptons Hideaway · Mere information

• Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Groveraxle- I really liked the mirror you've chosen along with the vase and candles, simple yet makes the fireplace stand out. Where is the mirror from?
  • Cynthia Johnson
    8 år siden
    I liked the mirror too. It was just hung too high. I like the idea of some colorful art and an accent wall in the dining area.
  • susan2494
    8 år siden

I'm pretty sure that overstock.com has one. At least very similar.

• Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you for all the help, all the comments were very helpful. I just found this amazing paint that has yellow on it and I'm pretty happy with the final result (still need to hang it though ;-)

• susan2494
    8 år siden

Art is a personal choice so hang whatever makes you smile.

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Love the art you chose. The little topiary and vase are too small. Let the art stand alone till you find the perfect pieces.

• PRO
    Home Innovations: Design Through Construction
    8 år siden

Great job so far, excellent choices, especially for your anchor pieces. I read a few of the comments, but not all. Here are my thoughts. I would accent with some warmer color accent pieces. On the mantel for sure and possibly a throw that has your current colors but with your warmer color of choice woven in. There an also be art work for the walls or a sculpture piece that sits on the floor. The accent pieces you have, while very nice, do not have the POP you need, Not that you should change them all, of course not, just enough to get that warmer, energetic feel you are missing.

Again good job.

Rosalyn Redel

Designed for Dallas Living

• Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    I finally took the courage to paint the wall in the breakfast area, and I'm impressed what an accent wall can do to the final look. Now I finally have some contrast. Still working on the fireplace, got that mirror and will be delivered in 7 days. I know that z gallerie has a similar one and I saw some nice candle holder (tealight trio aquamarine)
  • terry toon
    8 år siden
    Looks a little squared up to me. Will you try the chair angled over the corner of the rug, with the table by the chair instead of the sofa? And the pillows on the sofa should be turned a quarter turn, so the fabric pattern is the same as on the chair. Put a green plant or something on the table. The accent wall looks great!
  • groveraxle
    8 år siden

Tea lights? As in tiny? No. Think big.

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Never mind. 12, 16, and 20". Very pretty. You have a great sense of style!

Tealight Trio | Gifts for Her | Gifts | Z Gallerie · Mere information

• Tati
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    That's exactly the ones I was talking about
  • PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi
    8 år siden

I would add original artwork. https://www.etsy.com/shop/PamQArts?ref=hdr_shop_menu

A few suggestions:

SOLD!! Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 48 SOLD!! · Mere information

SOLD!! Art - Original Abstract Painting, 48 X 48 SOLD!! · Mere information

Original Abstract Painting 48 x 48 · Mere information

SOLD!!!-Art - Original Abstract Paintings 30 x 40 SOLD!!! · Mere information

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.