boring2u

Help give this bathroom a makeover! Nautical feel :)

K B
11 år siden
Hi,

I would love your ideas to help give this bathroom a tile makeover!

What will be saved:
- vanity (Baltic Brown Granite, Maple Vanity with Hazelnut glaze)
- White toilet
- Chrome Fixtures (sink faucet, shower fixture, light fixture)

What is going:
- brass shower door
- closet door configuration
- shower liner will be removed and replaced with a standard white tub with skirt.

I hope to achieve color and material selections that work well with the vanity and the new round (interior) window. The home is on a lake and I was hoping the window would offer a nautical feel as well as some natural light.

The window trim will most likely be painted white, along with the new door casing.

I would love suggestions for:
Floor Tile: Size and Color (possibly Porcelain for durability)
Wall Tile: Size and color (I'm considering using some white ceramic 8 x 20 tile that I have leftover from another bath project)
Wall Paint Color
Suggestion for affordable bathtub
closet door ideas

The bathroom is not being used now, but will be used by future guests, roommates, or maybe children.

Cost is a concern and I have been happy with pricing on Olympia TIle if that helps. www.olympiatile.com

Many thanks for any suggestions you may have!

(13) kommentarer

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 år siden
    What color is the trim in your house..is it the color of the wood around the closet??
  • K B
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    The trim throughout the house is being replaced with 3 1/4" white painted casing and either 4" or 5" baseboard. The round window can either be stained or painted. Thank you
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 år siden
    As this is not the master bath, I think economy is a good idea in some areas. For the tub, I would choose a standard soaking tub from a home center..choose for a look you like and price...I would keep it simple. Floor tile..a nice natural stone look, light color, in porcelain. Look at this tile from Olympia Tile..I looks like an expensive Travertine marble... http://www.olympiatile.com/products/porcelain/glazed_porcelain/romano_collection.html

I would choose the beige color. Click the zoom button to look at its detail. Also look at the 12x24 size GE.RO.BGE.1224 I would use it for the floor and the wall. Run it the length direction of the bathroom. Also..I would use it on the walls of the bath tub..again running the same direction. It would be an updated but classic look.

Regarding the closet...I was going to suggest removing the door & frame, paint the inside of the closet an accent color, but, I see you have a service entry for the tub, so I guess no door is not an option. So I would look for a narrow, 2 piece bifold door painted trim color.

For the walls..I would have to know what are YOUR colors in the house and surrounding hall & rooms for starters...But whatever you choose, paint the ceiling the same color, and choose a mid to light tone. PS..the window should be whatever is the trim color in the house.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 år siden
    I think a painted trim is more updated..choose the higher baseboard..many people underestimate the impact of trim. I would also use wood baseboard in the bathroom..tile baseboard to me always looks like a public restroom.
  • teddy24242
    11 år siden
    I also have been painting allot of darker ceilings and in long rooms helps to give an illusion of higher ceilings so paint one third the color of the walls I actually paint the darkest color on the ceiling for a grand affect. I am with Barbara white is truly out a cream color or darker than walls can tie ceiling color in to baseboard as well.
  • PRO
    E. Miles Custom Builder, Inc.
    11 år siden
    Olympia's Kashmir Gold grantie (Code: GM.KMR.GLD.1212) would work for the floor, I think. It reminds me of sand!

Here is a possible design motif and color scheme: http://www.seasideinspired.com/4344-nautilus-shell-pillow.htm I think you could incorporate the warm tones in the wood and the granite. The cool blues are good complementary touch.
  • K B
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions. The wall colors on the adjoiing hallway will most likely be a light sand color, but hasn't been selected yet.

The access holes for the shower will be decreased in size and covered with an access panel...maybe a cabinet door front.

I appreciate hearing that white trim is more updated. I had a hard time decide whether it was the right change to make, because it is sometimes difficult to picture something different than the stained trim current in the house. White now sounds like a good choice. Thank you.

I also like the idea of using the wood baseboard instead of the tile baseboard. thanks!

I still need to select the trim profile that will be used throughout the entire house. Any suggestions?

I will look into the tile suggested also. I love rectangle shaped tile, but wasn't sure if it would serve well in this room...so thank you for suggesting the 12x24. good to know that you think a rectangle shape would be ok.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
  • User
    11 år siden
    Love the "porthole"!
  • PRO
    Joann Vitali Fine Art Photography
    11 år siden
    Here are some nautical themed wall art ideas for your space depending on what color scheme you go with. A complete collection can be found here: http://joann-vitali.artistwebsites.com/art/all/nautical/all
  • lefty47
    11 år siden
    HI -- Just because you put in that great round window , please don't go with a theme .
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 år siden
    I would look at a baseboard that is one piece (but looks like 2) http://www.lowes.com/pd_29948-1487-163E+8FBDPM_4294715698%2B4294965158__?productId=3041644&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C1&facetInfo=Base I have used this product You may want taller, but I like the simple "board & base cap" design..I have also used this in a 7" height..but in rooms with high ceilings. Casing something like this http://www.lowes.com/pd_292390-85575-ST+2007_4294715698__?productId=3514964&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1 I like the rounded lines and it is 3-5/8" wide. These are for profile and width ideas only..you choose if you want wood or mdf or poly.

Regarding the floor tile..consider it in a kitchen also if needed there. I like the one I choose above for its size and scale. Always keep long term items such as tile, carpet, etc. very neutral in color. If it is expensive to replace..keep it neutral. Large items make areas seem larger.

Regarding the closet, my suggestion would be to make the lower half a "cabinet" with a door..but maybe keep the top open shelves, with rolled towels, etc...You can add bright colors that way as well. And maybe paint the inside of the top a different color..or line with mirror tiles.
  • Keitha
    11 år siden
    If you go with a simple neutral tile lay it on the diagonal for interest. Here is a shower curtain idea that suggests nautical without LOOKING nautical
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.