thurlowk

Where to end backsplash??

Nick Thurlow
8 år siden
Hello. We are looking for help as to whether or not we should move our light switch as it lines up with the end of our countertop. Also, it seems the general consensus is to take the backsplash to the end of the counter when the cabinets are short of the edge. We will be taking the backsplash to the top of the cabinets and are using 3x9 glass subway tile.

(13) kommentarer

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Hi, Nick,

Who installed your cabinets? Did you have a kitchen designer? He/she needs to come back and help you solve this problem. Nothing aligns/fits; several other issues need to be addressed as well. Your dilemma of the light switch/back splash is the result of poor design. For instance: you have that space between the cabinets and the door...for a trash can. ???? Don't install back splash until this is resolved.

• Nick Thurlow
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    JudyG. Was all DIY. It's a 1958 house and the walls were off and I didn't want to put a bunch of spacers in. For reference here is what it looked like before.
  • Nick Thurlow
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    The trash can lines up nicely with our breakfast bar which is a load bearing wall with a stairwell in the middle of the pass thru to the dining area. Originally it was where our dog dish was going to be though but she kept getting the hardwoods wet
  • Kelly
    8 år siden

I would not carry the backsplash over on the wall with the light switch. I would end it in the corner where the two walls meet. On the other wall where the trashcan is, I would end the backsplash at the upper cabinet, not the counter. That's what I did in my kitchen with very similar issues. I don't think taking backsplash up to the top of the cabinets is a good idea, that's not a natural stopping point, it will look like you forgot to go to the ceiling. I think taking it to the bottom of the cabinets and ending with a edge tile trim might be a better idea, since that's where the cabinets start.

• groveraxle
    8 år siden

Yes, move the switch. Yes, take the backsplash to the end of the counter. No to taking it to the top of the cabinets. That's just going to look odd.

• Natasha P.
    8 år siden

I agree with the first commenter. The backsplash should go from countertop to upper cabinet and should begin in the corner with the dishwasher and end with cabinets on the right side.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 år siden

Sorry, Nick, if my response offended you. I misunderstood "consensus". I presumed you meant builder or installer opinions and I ran with that, thinking one or the other was responsible. DIY...different story.

Could this idea help you?

• PRO
    French Brothers Home
    8 år siden

Our suggestion is to tile up to underside of the cabinets, but follow the window cut outs. The outlets along the back wall can be easily installed over the becksplash tile. For the sidesplash, we recommend just using a short ~4" splash of the same deco or leave it off completely for a clean edge. Here is a few images of how we have finished some side/backsplashes:

• wyndyacre
    8 år siden

That corbel is a great idea Judy! It looks great and a great "work around" for a problem area.

And great example of a pro assisiting an average homeowner who has to work with what they have and within a budget. Good for you!

• c murphy
    7 år siden

JudyG: what is thr name of the tile in the picture wuth the corbel?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 år siden

looks like a plain white 3x6 subway tile. I don't think small spacers were used because the grout lines are thick.

• Me AGirl
    6 år siden

HI Nick, so what did you end up doing? Would love to see an update!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.