melissamckerrow

Kitchen flooring, which tiles?!

melissamckerrow
8 år siden
This is the kitchen we are about to install in our extension, cream Matt units with some black wooden edging. extension is modern on back of old Victorian house. We are getting tiles, can't decide if grey stone effect or cream? And would like to match to patio stone if possible but not sure what would suit?

Your input much appreciated!

(11) kommentarer

• melissamckerrow
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thanks! Great idea about large tiles, love them but need to see what budget will stretch to. Would ideally like 1200 X 1200
  • ghesp
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

I know you mentioned patio stone, however have you tried looking at the wooden ones? My initial thought about using a natural stone in that style kitchen would be a clash of styles - you're mixing a modern kitchen, with a classic country style floor

I'm not talking about using actual wood, however you can now get porcelain tiles which look like wood:

http://www.porcelainsuperstore.co.uk/wood-effect.html

• PRO
    Rennew Traditional Building Materials
    8 år siden

We agree with the above comment, wooden-look porcelain tiles may be your answer and compliment the wooden unit edging. Having plain, neutral tiles could blend too much with those stunning units and take focus away. Let us know what you decide to go ahead with!

• PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    8 år siden

Hi Melissa,

I really like the design of your kitchen, it's going to look great when it's finished. Choosing tiles can be quite daunting especially when there are so many to choose from these days. One of the important things to consider is your lifestyle. Do you have children or pets as that can influence the style of tile you end with, no point in having something plain and shiny if you do as they will get dirty quickly.

Stone effect tiles could work really well in your space and there are some which have both an indoor and an outdoor option. Probably the best thing would be to take a sample of your kitchen cupboard doors to a tile showroom and see what they look like together with various different options. Matching either cream or grey to the tiles, really depends on the tone of both the units and the tile.

Tiles are getting larger these days and they can look amazing, one thing I would say though is that the over sized ones will need 2 people to lay them, so fixing costs will increase.

Hope that helps

Karen

• PRO
    Stone & Marble Diretto Ltd.
    8 år siden

just maybe.......wood porcelain tile......

Wooden effect porcellain Italian tiles · Mere information

or

large format floor tiles,...not just for the floor thought!

• ghesp
    8 år siden
    I echo what Karen said, think about your lifestyle.

Our kitchen has light grey matte tiles, however they still show marks up due to having little texture
  • melissamckerrow
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thanks all for your comments! Really useful. I love the wood effect tiles am just worried about how that would look with the rest of the house where we have real wood, old floors. Might look like we are trying to match in the kitchen (which is the only modern room).
  • PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    8 år siden

Hi Melissa,

It depends what type of wood effect tiles you go for and also how far away they are from your real wood floors. Providing there is a break between the 2 and you choose the right style and shade of course it could work really well.

I would recommend getting a few samples and trying them out in your kitchen together with the units.

Regards

Karen

• melissamckerrow
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Thanks Karen, unfortunately the kitchen leads straight off the hall which has old, original floorboards so there would be no gap. Am trying to find pictures online of where it has been done successfully but it's hard to see!
  • PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    8 år siden

Hi Melissa, I think the answer lies there then, putting real wood and porcelain wood effect tiles in such close proximity will detract from each products individual characteristics. Sorry to say it but I would steer clear of it and choose a completely contrasting tile.

There are plenty of options available which could work for example Terra is a lovely simple tile with a bit of texture on the surface and is quite popular at the moment. Or there are others which can be used both in and outside.

Karen

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.