tyrannosaurus

Help with small living room redesign

Erin H
8 år siden

Hi Folks,
Just bought a house (yay!), and I need help redesigning the living
room. It will be a blank slate--all furniture will be gone (everything in the photo belongs to the seller). We'll be installing new carpet and skim-coating/repainting the walls (goodbye, texture!). There will be no TV. This will be a lounging/social/reading room.

I'm going for a fairly
contemporary/transitional look. I'm thinking light gray walls, white trim, contemporary sofa with a beautiful warm wood coffee or side table with a few brightly colored cushions.

Aside from that, I'm stumped, particularly regarding layout. Issue 1: There is a gorgeous view out the big
picture window, and I don't want to just plop down a sofa facing away from it. How would you lay out furniture? We'll be replacing the window, and we're getting estimates for turning it into a box bay window, maybe large enough for a window seat. Not sure if that will be possible.

Issue 2: Husband wants to do
built-in shelving that can house books, his record collection, and a record player, but I'm having a tough time visualizing where all of that could go.

View standing inside front door:

View standing near passage into kitchen:

Opposite the fireplace and on the other side of the passage into the kitchen/dining (we'll obviously be adding a closet door):

Measurements/diagram to come....

(15) kommentarer

• Erin H
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

And those '90s cabinets in the kitchen will also be gone gone gone, but that's a post for another day. :)

• shirlpp
    8 år siden

I assume that you are keeping the fireplace. You can do something like this, and he can put his stuff on it.

West Los Angeles Custom Home · Mere information

Christoffersen · Mere information

• Architectural Notice
    8 år siden

I like the idea of built in shelving next to the fireplace.

• Erin H
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Will get dimensions later today, susan. I misplaced them but would love to see an arrangement.

Novice, would you do shelving on both sides of the fireplace, or just the wider side?

• susan2494
    8 år siden

I did estimate, can adjust when you get dimensions. Tell me what you think. I would do the built in shelves on right of FP. The space on left is really too small. Put a potted tree there

• Nancy Ingram
    8 år siden
    I would recommend taking the tv down from the fireplace. It's too high and you can't hide the cords. I don't normally recommend putting the tv in front of a window, but I think it may be an option for you.
  • Erin H
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    Nancy, the TV will be gone.
  • susan2494
    8 år siden

• Nancy Ingram
    8 år siden
    I stand corrected-I do remember that now. Ok, here are some other ideas.
  • PRO
    HMH Development Inc
    8 år siden

Floating shelves on right and a cabinet to the left of the fireplace. Dimensions would help.

Fireplace · Mere information

Sofa facing window with two chairs opposite...just like Nancy has above.

• PRO
    Wilson Lee Interiors
    8 år siden

I had a similar living room... the blue looked fabulous!

Modern Home Design (Midlothian, Va) · Mere information

• shirlpp
    8 år siden

Is that a fireplace or a stove? Why not reconfigure that entire area?

• PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 år siden

Here are some of our designs, perhaps they will spark some great ideas.

Classic Inspired · Mere information

Transitional Remodel · Mere information

• Erin H
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    here are dimensions. fireplace wall is 12'. window wall is 21.5'. wall opposite window is 14.5' up to kitchen passage.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.