flowrida

Refurbish or skip?

flowrida
8 år siden
I am a big fan of mid century furniture but cannot decide if this dining table and chairs are a step too far. I was thinking of re covering the chairs and having top of the table re done. But I'm not sure if it goes with the floor and which colour/fabric to choose.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

(29) kommentarer

• Tani H-S
    8 år siden
    Ah I'm about to post a similar dilemma! Lol.

I love the shape of the table as the legs really make it.
    I would keep the table as it is and paint the chairs.

or if you were going to paint it, just paint the legs so it breaks up the floor)
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    8 år siden

Hi Flowrida,

Well done for your kitchen first of all,

I like the the table and judging from the photo the color of the table and chairs suit the floor very well. I am not sure of the blue fabric of the chairs either, it doesn't blend with the wood well and it makes the chairs to stand out too much and everyone can notice they are a different style from the kitchen unit. I would personal try a cream color much closer to the color of the floor; to harmonize table chairs and floor. I would also buy I fancy centre piece to make the room more stylish.

Do not be scared to mix up different styles since it is in fashion this year and the mix up of styles always make the room more vibrant

• sam irwin
    8 år siden
    I like your table and chairs. Think they may be a little "heavy" for your modern kitchen units and light floors. Why not keep the table and change the chairs. I wouldn't change the colour of the table. Maybe some Orla kiely type chairs (if you like colour).
  • PRO
    Design Penguin Ltd
    8 år siden

The chairs and table are lovely - with different fabric you would be onto a winner. Building on the Orla K idea above how about recovering them with some of her fabric? Couple of metres and a staple gun and you're in business.

• PRO
    Rennew Traditional Building Materials
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

The table and chairs are beautiful, the wood compliments your kitchen well so we'd advise keeping these! As a minimum, we would suggest recovering the chairs, and perhaps removing 2 of them (or storing them elsewhere) so the table looks a little less cramped and gives a better view of your kitchen. Let us know what you decide!

• Jonathan
    8 år siden
    http://houzz.com/photos/47884121

I like these chairs with your table. You could also paint the table legs white.
  • PRO
    Jo Sloanes
    8 år siden

Paint it with Frenchic Furniture paint. Even fabric and leather. It will totally transform it

• gd11
    8 år siden

Skip them. You have a lovely modern kitchen and they just don't fit in, whether painted or other. Choose a more modern design similar to the ones suggested, or go for the Eames chair.

• dassie4
    8 år siden
    Like the style
    Def change fabric on the chairs. Something a little more funky that brings in the colour of your backsplash

No need to paint ...
  • Lena
    8 år siden
    I am not an expert, but like mid century furniture and keep a few pieces in my 70s semi.

I particularly like your table, not the chairs. I would have sold chairs on eBay as a lot and bought something more interesting instead. Either Eames chairs, or even IKEA Toby (as I did and loved them).
  • Lena
    8 år siden
    As I have a funny small dining room, I had to settle for the round Gplan table and four IKEA Toby (?) chairs.

After the refurbishment is done and the dining room made bigger I plan to buy a bigger table, but keep existing chairs as they are very comfortable.

What brand is the maker of your table? It looks like Gplan. Thanks.
  • Ocean Clarke
    8 år siden

How about just going a bit lighter (if you don't want a drastic change) to fit in with the rest of the kitchen? You could go for a something similar to this oak coloured Danish set below.

The sound of brightly coloured chairs does sound pretty tempting though. So many options!

CASO Midcentury Modern Oak Danish Dining Set · Mere information

• PRO
    Zoe Glencross Fabric & Home
    8 år siden

Hi

I love the funky shape of your table and chairs set! It's retro without being too much. We do some lovely contemporary stripes that would upholster your seat pads beautifully. You might like our Slade Stripe Upholstery fabric in Dew blue or Rock Grey. These heavy weight linen fabrics are very durable for everyday use. I would personally paint the who furniture set either a soft grey or soft stone colour. Farrow & Ball do some lovely shades in Estate Eggshell that would work with your kitchen scheme. You might like to try Pavillion Grey or Purbeck Stone. These two colours would also work with the tone of your flooring. Good luck! It'll look great - go for it!

• User
    8 år siden

My husband got the identical table and chairs from a local auction about 8 years ago, the whole lot was about £7, but we did have to recover the seats, we only got them as extra dining space when our larger family came for a meal, the rest of the time they lived in the garage! My daughter has them now, but she has mixed the chairs and table up with her old white and chrome table and some white "Eames" chairs, so the kitchen has the wooden table covered with the oilcloth and a mix of chairs and the other table in the dining room has the rest of the chairs. The white table was an ebay buy as were the white chairs. I think we thought the set you (Flowrida) have, might have been MacIntosh, it wasn't G plan, at the time we got them my father was still alive and he had been in the furniture trade, although he was in his 90's when we got them, that was what he thought, but his memory might not have been accurate. Anyway, your set looks well cared for, but I do agree, it isn't absolutely right for your kitchen and the other chairs do look good. Love your kitchen.

• PRO
    Markham Webber Design Ribble Valley
    8 år siden

personally I really like the mix of old and new and think a mid century table and chairs looks well with the modern kitchen. I certainly don't think the set is heavy and am horrified that people are suggesting to paint the chairs a different colour!!! keep it in its original state and just recover the chairs to a lighter more contemporary fabric that will draw the set into the room overall. it looks great. good luck!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 år siden

Hello Flowrida,
    The table and chairs are nice in the wood finish. My suggestion is to pull the chairs out more from under the table and at either end. With space you can see each piece more which adds to its aesthetic. Re the seat pad.. I wonder if it hasn't been padded out more than its original style and I actually want to suggest either a tan suede or a white towelling fabric.. If you wanted something to compliment the kitchen units.. But for me I see the seat pad as needing to slim down. Sometimes people even put seat pads on what is actually meant to be plain wood. :))

• ingabrereton
    8 år siden

That table and chairs are fabulous, please save them. The table top needs sanding down and revarnishing - it would take only a few hours to do it. The chairs need recovering, and they would look amazing done in loads of types of fabric

KOTWIG Textured Upholstery Contract Fabric · Mere information

Fabrics | Glant | Kobenhavn · Mere information

Fabrics | Pollack | The Joy of Hex · Mere information

Hudson Bay · Mere information

The whole set could be painted white or grey and recovered and it would look amazing because the shape and size are so good in your kitchen.

• westcorkfarmhouse
    8 år siden
    I would suggest you put them in the skip… only if I knew where the skip was parked & I could then take them for myself! They're beautiful, like a person with good bone structure, & with only a few adjustments I reckon they could be really stunning. Building on other's comments above, I'd suggest sanding the table top but oiling it (instead of varnish). I'd also go with the suggestion of reducing the height of the seat pad - it just looks too high and the square edge of it looks wrong with the rounded lines of the set), or when reupholstering - with a variety of different tones of the one type of fabric, as suggested - rounding off the edges of the foam & pulling the fabric tighter to give a more rounded look. If the difference in colour between the timber of the floor and the legs bothers you, although it doesn't look bad to me, I'd dip just 8" of the legs of the entire set into a pale cream paint. Some might see that as sacrilegious but it would modernise the look of the set & can look amazing so long as the heights of the paint are all the exact same! Lastly, unless all 6 chairs are needed all the time, I'd place two elsewhere so around the table looks roomier. Best of luck! Would love to see the final outcome.
  • westcorkfarmhouse
    8 år siden
    Examples of dipped chairs (sadly not done by me).
  • S V
    8 år siden
    I love this table and chairs set! I agree that if you make the cushions lower and recover them in either a bright colour (I think orange would be good) for a happy fun look or a taupe or light colour if you wanted a more neutral look. Whatever you Don't skip this set and don't paint it! If you're thinking of doing either of those things then I'd say sell it and let someone else enjoy it.
  • Daisy England
    8 år siden
    They just don't go with the units. You've opted for a white gloss handleless unit then wonder about incorporating a 60s table. It's a no from me. Keep everything modern and contemporary.
  • lizzibet g
    8 år siden
    Beautiful kitchen! I think the width of the chairs and size of the seat might be the problem - bit too big. Keep the table but a slimmer or smaller looking chair like the eames would work better. Don't bin the chairs! Lots of charities / freecyclers would love them :)
  • stephen fish
    6 år siden
    table is fine, just sand it back or nitromors it. the wood will then be lighter, protect it with a simple clear oil if you want to redo every six months, or a clear acrylic. Chairs are heavy in the upright lines which is the clash, so if you can, consider the joints and there strength. if they are strong enough, remove the centre two uprights and remove the top joints on the base of the top bar. Keep the top linear line but add a larger curve to the top corners to remove the angle that clashes with the table shape. if you need to add strength back to the chair back, use a stainless bar instead, but just one. cut the corners with a jig then hand sand to smooth. it's easier than it looks on hard wood to get a good finish. Swap the material for a pale pastel, that hints at retro, so vinyl in a pale lime would be nice, but reflect this in the kitchen with accent colours too. Consider the splashback to match. don't be afraid to have a go at adapting something, if it goes wrong, you never liked it anyway, if it goes well, you made something unique no one else will have.
  • Daisy England
    6 år siden
    Old post.
  • stephen fish
    6 år siden
    ok, but are we not here to share ideas? if I found it others can too...
  • Daisy England
    6 år siden
    All I was pointing out was the job would have been completed by now. To me it's pointless raising posts that are over a year old. Just raise a new post with the latest ideas. Things change so quick.
  • stephen fish
    6 år siden
    but plenty of people have the same problems / like ideas / dislike ideas. I'm here, you're here. Time may move fast, but ideas hang around. Besides, someone else may have that table or chairs now and be thinking the same thing...
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.