chrisbruno123

Proposal for fireplace

chrisbruno123
8 år siden

I just received a quote for a fireplace from a well respected carpenter that does high quality work in NJ. Included a picture, curious what people think this should cost. Everything will be in maple that will all be sprayed white in his shop. The waincoting will be done on top of wood and the storage to the right of the fireplace will be lined in tile for holding wood. To the left of the fireplace will be a sliding door he will build and frame with matching panel designs. The wall is 20 feet long and the ceilings are 8 feet high.

(14) kommentarer

• PRO
    Old World Remodeling
    8 år siden
    Hard to put a price on a highly respected, highly skilled carpenter. If you are asking what the labor would be, I would probably be looking to charge somewhere in the 3000-5000 range. Custom trim is my passion! Nice design
  • PRO
    User
    8 år siden

probably more like 14000

• chrisbruno123
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

promethean you were very close , 13,500

• PRO
    Old World Remodeling
    8 år siden
    I'm sure that's not out of line if materials are included. The price I guesstimated was for labor only.
  • chrisbruno123
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

yes old world and than correct me if im wrong but there is a markup of prices on construction in the northeast. compared to the south.

• PRO
    Old World Remodeling
    8 år siden
    You are probably correct! I didn't really consider that lol.
  • PRO
    User
    8 år siden

Things cost more here in NJ. Insurances, Wages, Taxes, Office space, work shop, you name it! If he has a spray booth there are heavy restrictions on air quality and emissions in NJ. Hazardous materials waste from paint cans and such. All is reflected in the price.

• PRO
    MarketPlace Designs
    8 år siden

Dear Chris, I'm catching up on this conversation and as a fellow NJ professional, agree that the price is commensurate with very high quality materials and workmanship in our area. I've seen higher... One curiosity I have is --If designed to be painted (shop spray finishes are great) maple might not be necessary. Maple is extremely hard wood (bowling alley floors) and may be specified for it's tight, smooth grain so it paints beautifully. If you'd like to discuss nuances of this or other parts of your project, feel free to contact us through our company website or phone. It looks like a beautiful room in the making! (Be sure to pick the perfect color white for your space. If you need help there, we do that too. ) With best wishes, MarketPlace Designs, Summit

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 år siden

IMO if this is all to be painted I would not do wood as the little lines will appear along the joints with the rise and fall of humidity it probably will not affect the price but I would ask him to use MDF

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

Actually Patricia, MDF has a very high moisture content and is just as likely to move with temperature fluctuations as wood. If you are paying 13.5K for this type of cabinetry I would hope the person fabricating it would be prudent enough to acquire kiln dried lumber with reduced moisture content and make sure that all seems are glued with proper fastening (ie: dowels, biscuits or pocket screws) and that all sides of the wood are sealed with finish. Front back and especially end grain. Then the material must be delivered to the site and allowed to acclimate for several days in the home in which it will be installed. This will greatly minimize wood movement.

• PRO
    MarketPlace Designs
    8 år siden

Totally agree with Promethean on all points! Real wood is called for with this type of work.

• chrisbruno123
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

He came today and spent a few hours on discussing final design and measurements. Said he only works with wood. I dont think its kiln dried but I did listen to him complain about how much more difficult it is to find high quality wood than years ago. Alot of his original suppliers have closed in NJ over the past 10 years. Ill ask him about climate acclimating the wood, thanks for the advice.

• beseaside
    7 år siden

Beautiful work. Lovely room!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.