hiba_abdulqader

Natural stone

Heba Jamaa
8 år siden
We have newly laid these slabs in our front garden ( two months ago ) & since then they always been wet never dried even when sun comes out they dry in patches! I do not have any idea on what's happening & whether this a natural characteristic of the stone. Should it be glazed? Our builder on the last day had spread some sand on them to close up any gaps. They also changed in colour turned into tan. When I saw them in the garden centre I admired the almost white colour that's why I bought them. also I have some left & they have not changed in colour & they dried up quickly unlike on the laid ones. Could the builder done something wrong? :(

(11) kommentarer

• Ocean Clarke
    8 år siden

Hi @heba_jamaa,

This seems peculiar. Have you spoken to the builder who carried out the work since?

• Heba Jamaa
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

he has no clean what is happening, any ideas?

• Heba Jamaa
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Auto corrector!! meant no clue

• Heba Jamaa
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    He actually did clean it with with some chemical products & these pictures are the after bit. My husband believes it is a matter of needing more cleaning but it's finding the time to do so is hard lol.
  • PRO
    Lithic CIC
    8 år siden

How dry was the mortar mix used to bed the slabs? If a very wet mix was used this can be absorbed by the slabs from below and can show through on the surface. A semi dry mortar is best for sandstone.

• Heba Jamaa
    Forfatter
    8 år siden
    I don't know how dry it is was but let's assume the worst, how can we rectify the situation?
  • PRO
    Lithic CIC
    8 år siden

Hi Heba I am assuming that mortar was used to lay the stones. Did your contractor specify what method would be used? I can't tell much from the photo. If cement has been absorbed into the slabs there is nothing you can do to rectify that. But as I say, it is difficult to tell from a photograph, sorry.

• PRO
    Rennew Traditional Building Materials
    7 år siden

It looks as though the stone was not sealed after being laid which can cause all of the issues you have mentioned. If the sand was wet the stone would have absorbed some of the colour and stained it I'm afriad. The best way to rectify is to get a professional to clean the stone as much as possible then ensure they are sealed with a high quality sealer.

• PRO
    Rory Andrews Landscape Design
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Hi Heba

I concur with what a lot of people have said about the sealant. Some paving stones are more porous than others and will need sealing to prevent them from absorbing water. I am also concerned, from the photo, that the water has nowhere to drain to. All paved areas need to be laid on a fall (a uniform gradient) to allow water to run off them. This fall should be directed to a drain or planting border so that it has somewhere to drain to. I recommend pavingexpert.com as the most concise and simple reference for information on these matters. Regarding the colour change, I'm afraid this natural weathering happens to all stone. The stone can be brought back to it original colour by jet-washing.

• shelleyuk
    7 år siden

Is it yorkstone OP? The colouring looks like Scoutmoor yorkstone (a sandstone) which does have grey and tan colour variations. The wetness does look like a sealant issue.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.