daytona2

A Puzzle of a Kitchen in San Diego

daytona2
8 år siden

We recently bought our first place and it's a 2b/2b condo by the beach! We absolutely love the location but we would like to remodel almost everything in the condo to match our own style eventually.

The (puzzle) piece of the condo that confuses us both the most is the kitchen. We spend a lot of time staring at it trying to move things around in our heads. We've spent so much time looking through Houzz and Pinterest and anywhere else we can draw inspiration. We haven't been able to find anything that is identical to our kitchen layout, or a kitchen that looks like what we imagine ours might look like after a remodel. Elements of kitchens are close, but not exact.

I haven't seen any condo doors enter directly into a kitchen either, it seems to complicate the design a great deal. The front door enters directly into the kitchen space which sits right off of a small living room. It's an awkward entry. Any ideas as to how to make that a more defined space?

With limited sq. footage (1K), we would prefer to have an eat-in kitchen serving as our dining space. We are thinking of enclosing the load bearing white pole with wood and building that beam into a peninsula for a 4-5 person eat-in counter height space. We'd push that back from where the high top dining currently is located. Would prefer to have a dine-in peninsula where people face one another (vs. one sided which it currently is).

Also, we would love to be able to fit a small island with a sink into the center of our kitchen space without it completely interfering with the walkway space from the door to the rest of the condo. It might be a little bit tight, but I think it might help define the space better.

So the puzzle pieces are ...

1) Where should we put the dine-in area?

2) Can we fit a small island in the center of the space?

3) Is there any way to define the doorway a bit better?

Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to offer us!

(5) kommentarer

• apple_pie_order
    8 år siden

Try living with the space for a year. A professional kitchen designer would be able to work with your budget and find some good options. In the meantime, talk to neighbors in condos that have the same floor plan.

daytona2 thanked apple_pie_order
  • natashabowers
    8 år siden
    Here is a suggestion remove the pantry or the corner cabinet put the fridge there. Keep the stove where it is at do an island with the sink and dishwasher. where the sink is now just keep for counter space and leave the wall blank where the fridge is now. I would talk to a kitchen designer for proper measurements, usually they are where you will purchase cabinets from.
    daytona2 thanked natashabowers
  • summery
    8 år siden

Instead of trying to envision changes in your head, might I suggest you download Ikea's free 2D/3D kitchen design software, plug in your kitchen's dimensions and constants (ie doors, windows), and play around with it: it's really easy to figure out and has hundreds of options. Even if you're not an Ikea fan, you'll be able to shunt everything around in 2D, without breaking a sweat, and then swoop around it in 3D as if you're in a drone. Makes life SO much easier. And then take your ideas to a pro for improvement, if so desired.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/kitchen/

daytona2 thanked summery
  • PRO
    Stoneville USA Inc.
    8 år siden

You could always gut that current bar/penninsula area and put a small island in the middle of the kitchen and add a side cabinet on the area where the peninsula currently is! That would really open up the space. If you need any help picking out materials for the floor/counter top/tile-please visit us! We are located in Miramar on 7081 Consolidated Way!

daytona2 thanked Stoneville USA Inc.
  • PRO
    Mr.D's Construction Services of San Diego
    8 år siden

I'd be happy to provide you with a free no obligation consultation to remodel your current kitchen into something that would function well for you.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.