taymsha

Living Room Help - Built In Shelves

taymsha
8 år siden

Good morning! I have been living at my place for a little over a year. It's been furnished but not completely decorated with the character I want to give. I went to West Elm and bought some vases (trying to bring in pops of color - burnt orange) to bring in the chair and the blanket on the couch. I would love advice on shelves that may need some work, as well as what to do below the tv.

I also would love ideas for what to do behind the couch. It seems empty with just the pub table and the mirror. I was thinking a bigger glass vase with some sort of greenery.

Thank you!

Tayla

(17) kommentarer

• Kathy
    8 år siden
    I don't know what is feasible budget wise for you but I would add edge trim to make shelves look thicker and have doors made for cabinet. Then lower TV to take up some of the space below it, it looks too high.
    Otherwise you have done a nice job of arrangement and colors.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 år siden
    Def need a floor lamp, maybe you could bulk up your built in with trim as well, a lamp for reading on side table is needed
  • Kathy
    8 år siden
    Looking closer. The bottom two shelves could be moved and nice cabinet doors added all across
  • Jill McK
    8 år siden

I think you did a great job! Maybe add some wicker baskets in for more texture on the shelves? I would consider a dough bowl with maybe some moss orbs in it for under the TV. Adding a little greenery there would be nice. Do you love the pub table? If not, I would say a nice console would be good under the mirror with maybe some ottomans that fit underneath for extra seating. Or replace the mirror with a bigger and more square painting etc.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 år siden

For starters the T.V. is too high at least lower it to sit on top of the cabinet I would remove the pub table it makes no sense where it is and then a console table with some art above not the mirror and a couple of lamps for some much needed lighting. IMO the bulitins look cheap I would add thicker shelves with fewer small items and add some molding to the doors to give them a more expensive look put a chandalier where the fan is and add one more color into the mix I would suggest a nice mossy green with some texture too.

• taymsha
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Thank you all!

Brandi, where would you consider a floor lamp? I agree with lamp on side table!

Jill McK, dough bowl with moss orbs would be a great idea! I would be more apt to replace the mirror (I haven't loved it there since I hung it there) but haven't been able to figure out what type painting or wall art would fit on a wall that size... great suggestions!

• taymsha
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

The built-ins were there when I bought the townhouse, so they probably were cheap. I had them all painted, but you can see that the shelves aren't all the same height and the doors under the tv are horrible. I can move the TV lower, that is an easy fix I believe...

• susanalanandwrigley
    8 år siden

It does look like the TV should be lower, but you are the one in the space viewing it so see what works for you. Personally I'd have books on the bookshelves for the most part, interspersed with family photographs. I'm not a huge fan of tons of knicknacks, especially not a fan of buying them just to fill up space. Have you considered painting the back of the bookcases with a vibrant color, or wallpapering it? Do you use the pub table? It kind of looks like a time out space back there in the corner, but I can see having a game table there if you are card, board game or chess players.

taymsha thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • taymsha
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

I agree, I do have knickknacks. Most of what is on the bookshelves either came from my parent's house - just to fill space for time being until I had time to think about it (example: LOVE sign on top shelf). When I moved in, I had the whole house painted and decided to just make it simple, because even built-ins were new to me. I didn't want to have to furnish around wallpaper design or vibrant colors - so for now, the paint will stay. I found the pub table for $100 on craigslist from a couple that never used it. I wanted additional seating and when friends come over, they do tend to sit up there. Ideally, I would have wanted a sofa table with stools for behind the couch but had a really hard time finding something. Again, because this is a townhouse that I only plan to be in for another 2 years or so, I would probably try to keep pub table and do something else in that space. Perhaps art work along the wall? I don't know... very open to ideas for behind the couch though!

• susan2494
    8 år siden

Pull your chairs out of the corners a bit and onto the area rug. If they don't fit on rug, you probably need a bigger size. Front legs of furniture should be on the rug.

• PRO
    Design of...
    8 år siden

Yes, tv definitely needs to be lowered. The correct height is: your eye level should be at the middle of the screen when sitting across on the couch.

• sharonseyler
    8 år siden

Sharon the Chicken:

Your color choices are good (orange accents). Add some books and remove some of the decorative items. Also I would add some greenery on the shelves. If lighting is bad you can buy amazing artificial plants in small pots. I would lower the TV to a healthier viewing height (eye level at centre). A narrow sofa table under the mirror behind the sofa could hold some of the stuff you remove from the shelves. The pub table looks out of place. I'd put a tall plant in a nice colorful planter in that corner. Some wicker in the room would also create some texture - maybe a small table beside the grey chair. good luck.

• taymsha
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Making progress! Got some weathered books and got rid of some of the smaller items. I am also planning on removing the LOVE on top right shelf. Any feedback on the shelving as it stands now? I need to get some greenery...

• lefty47
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

HI -- So for so good and love the color accent . But I like shelves more minimal and think less shelves and thicker shelves or glass shelves instead . You could have a dark charcoal color in the TV section and the wall behind the shelves . Just remember ... less is more !

taymsha thanked lefty47
  • taymsha
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I bought the townhouse with the built-ins so I just had the walls and shelves painted. I don't plan to stay longer than 2-3 years so I just want to focus on decorating and not replacing the shelves but thank you for your feedback!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Paint the accent color behind the TV

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.