tellytelly

Help me update our exterior

tellytelly
7 år siden

We love our new (to us) side split home & plan to stay in it for some time. There is a lot of work to be done but the layout is perfect for us & it's in a great neighbourhood. That being said, the exterior is so drab.

I would love some colour ideas, but also wouldn't mind some more expensive fix ideas (garage door needs replacing & the wood siding needs repair / paint). We've chosen a new front door that looks similar to this one but it'll be a single door with side lights on both sides (no transom).

And btw, I love this home as inspiration (with the black door - not mine ;)). I love prairie style homes & wonder if we could make some updates to modernize our home some. We don't want to paint the brick.

We've done some cleanup with landscaping & I've attached those photos here. It could still use a little more work in that regard as well but it feels clearer looking now.

Any advice my fellow houzzers? :)

(12) kommentarer

• tellytelly
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks PPF. I'm not a fan of the window boxes at all but I feel like the windows will look so tiny without either the shutters or the window boxes. Personally, I'd like new windows if it fits in the budget. :)

Do you have an example photo of the type of siding you're referring to (in combination with our current siding I presume you meant)?

• PRO
    PPF.
    7 år siden

This is a rendering I did that shows a similar idea. Think of the contrasting band as taking the place of the shutters. This is a common prairie style detail.

tellytelly thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    schön
    7 år siden

With the bones of the house as it exists, a Prairie scheme would work well. Play with the color schemes and simple treatments. Even fabbing up some simple prairie style window grid work would be an inexpensive start. Adding some simple DIY wraps and details to your existing columns and pilasters would help.

tellytelly thanked schön
  • tellytelly
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you @PPF. are you referring to the bands on the lower level of your rendering?

• tellytelly
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks @Next Level Renovation I'm trying to find a method for finding a new color scheme using online tools but all my drawings look awful - I'm not very good at this! I do think you're right about modifying the existing columns. I feel like we have great potential - I just need some help!

• emmarene9
    7 år siden

First thing I would do is hire someone to rework the retaining wall so you do not have that bed blocking the view of the entrance. The area looks artificially built up to me. If not, have the remaining area graded to a gentle slope.

You also should remove the lower limbs from the tree.

• tellytelly
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

@emmarene - thanks! The area to the right of the door (with the picture window) is the living / dining room & sits 4 steps up from the entry (at ground level). The new front door will be moved to the right with sidelights on either side instead of just on the one side) so I feel like it will be more visible despite being somewhat hidden by the retaining wall. I do agree that the entrance is blocked from vview but I'm really not sure how to address / rework it without opening up the driveway even more.

I will definitely remove the lower limbs from those trees - good call!

• tellytelly
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I'd love some paint colour suggestions. I have zero artistic vision. :(

• PRO
    PPF.
    7 år siden

Not suggesting these colors. See the upper floor.

• PRO
    Clopay
    7 år siden

Check out this before and after of a split level ranch. The Clopay Reserve Collection carriage house garage door was the design element that inspired the rest of the house. http://www.clopaydoor.com/Reserve-Semi

Before and After Garage Makeovers · Mere information

Here is another more extreme makeover that took a 70s ranch and gave it a more Craftsman feel. The garage door is a Clopay Avante Collection glass door. http://www.clopaydoor.com/avante

Sleek, flush panel doors are an option in the Clopay Modern Steel Collection. http://www.clopaydoor.com/modern-steel-collection

Residential garage door manufacturer Clopay has a tool on the website you can use to upload a photo of your home and try on different door styles to see how they look. http://www.clopaydoor.com/door-imagination-system

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    The Stitt Group
    7 år siden

A few good fixes would really transform this great bones house. I personally like the window boxes, but they're only good if you enjoy maintaining them--a little splash of lively color would be great there. The board and batten would look nice on that upper section. I would focus on getting your columns changed into craftsman; normally I'd suggest stone bases, but since you have the bricks already, you could do a contrasting brick color at the base, replace garage door with a window style that is craftsman, and change out your LR pictures window with a more craftsman feel--beveled tall verticals with smaller vertical pieces along the top. As to color scheme, you could borrow from the pic you like with the black front door--the bricks are a similar color, paint the upper the woody/reddish color, and black for accents, especially on LR window.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.