bevys

Railing on steps alone or around porch too

Bev
7 år siden
We need railing to get up steps and would like some design advice. Not sure if we can just add railing to steps or if we need to also add railing around porch. We kind of like the open look. The width of stairs can be changed as well. thoughts on this and pictures if you have them would be a big help.

(17) kommentarer

• thinkdesignlive
    7 år siden
    If you like the open look but need a hand rail consider doing a hand rail only at the far right attached to the brick wall then have the steps be continuous all the way around both sides so it's like a platform. That way you can walk down at any point without a rail but for those that do need a rail they can access that at the far right. It will look really clean and open and be functional as well.
  • livinginsb
    7 år siden
    This is very cool and low profile so that it feels open.
  • abbyjean
    7 år siden

I love the open look, too, on that beautiful front porch. Lucky you to enjoy that space!!!

• PRO
    Reyna Iron Works, Inc.
    7 år siden

i would move the railing to the section just left of the original spot. then attach a railing to both wooden columns and widen your steps. here is a very basic design i did.

Bev thanked Reyna Iron Works, Inc.
  • Bev
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thank you to all :) We went all the way across and really like the way it came out. Have to wait for the wolmanized wood to cure before staining. Excuse the mess as we are putting in a walkway too.
    The only dilemma we have now is what size post to use for stair risking. We are only going to do one railing on the left of steps.
    Should we use a 4x4 or a 6x6 like our porch posts? Also, would the railing post look best on bottom step or in front of step or beside it?
  • Rs S
    7 år siden
    That looks beautiful and inviting. Im glad you asked the question and even happier to see your solution as I have a very similar dilemma. You just made my day! Thanks!
  • Bev
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thank you :) So glad it made your day. :)
    I've gotten a lot of ideas for our home projects here on houzz. Last year I asked
    "what color stain for our deck" and I had answers anywhere from our chosen color "timberline" (which I love) to "gray paint", the later would have matched our trim but we were going for a more natural look.

We have been renovating our home bit by bit since 2012 and Houzz is my favorite place to go for advice. It certainly has lessened my husbands and my debating when we disagree on design.

Hope to see a before and after picture of your project. Feel free to post one in this thread, would love to see it.
  • User
    7 år siden

With your steps being so wide, do you need a rail? I would opt for no rail;)

• Sharon
    7 år siden
    While I like how it looks without rails, you need to check your local codes. They may be required. Better to find out now than if/when you got to sell and need to add them.
  • RubyRoses
    7 år siden
    I would place the post in the bottom step, using a 6×6 to match your other posts.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    7 år siden

I'd consider a redo on the steps. The rise from the top tread to the deck is significantly less the the rise on the remainder of the steps.

This is a code violation, but even more important it's a hazard (which is why it's against code).

As for the post, it should be inline with the porch post. Your porch post are wrapped, not solid, and I'm guessing you will bury yours in the ground, so most any size will look OK.

• PRO
    Reyna Iron Works, Inc.
    7 år siden
    I would still put a railing, older guest should always have a handle to assist going up and down. and that top step will be a trippimg hazard for sure.
  • Bev
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Updating this post to show the stairs redone to code and walkway leveled and handrail added. :)
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 år siden

success! cgs!

• Bev
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    It's truly this group that helped us. Hope this post helps someone else in the future.
  • RubyRoses
    7 år siden
    looks really nice! give your hubs a big pat on the back from us.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.