kristina_morgan

Which do you prefer in wood flooring and why? Pine or hardwood?

Kristina Morgan
11 år siden
We need to make a decision soon and I keep vacillating. On the one hand I like the more casual, rustic, knotty look of pine in wider planks but I'm told it has cracks between the boards, and that they swell and shrink a bit with the weather whereas hardwood forms a tight seal and there are no cracks. What would you choose? I included a picture of a pine floor that I like and a hardwood floor I like...both have a stone fireplace, and a similar feel to what I am trying to create.

(11) kommentarer

• lindagreg
    11 år siden
    Pine all the way! The more distressed the better...old farmhouse feel;-)
  • PRO
    User
    11 år siden
    Totally pine! Look at the character :)

All wood is living and breathing and will eventually have cracks between the boards.
  • User
    11 år siden
    Soft wood like pine isn't a good choice if you dogs, especially big ones. It scratches very easily.
  • lindagreg
    11 år siden
    That's exactly what gives it lived in ALIVE look! More distressed the better
  • PRO
    The L.A. Lady
    11 år siden
    If you look at that photo, the cracks originate around the knots, which is a reality when it comes to this type and this cut of wood. There are many varieties of pine and some are softer than others, but I'd stick to a hardwood for flooring, especially in your climate. Pine was used on subfloors for years and it is cheap and strong enough to be used as such, but most floors were finished with a hardwood for a reason.

A couple of things to think about: I really like this look, but what has kept me from perusing it in my home is the natural splitting and cracking. When this happens, a hard edge is formed and it's something for things to get snagged on or even trip over, and can be painful for canine feet (if you have a dog).

If you're in love with this wood, find someone who knows how to finish and treat pine. Softwoods handle finishes differently and that should be taken into account when installing the floor.

Source of knowledge: my family has been in the lumber business for almost 55 years. I think I got bamboo floors just so I could be a rebel!
  • dbh
    11 år siden
    Hardwoods every time, unless you have unlimited funds to get old reclaimed heart pine flooring.-- then I'd be torn.
  • Kristina Morgan
    Forfatter
    11 år siden
    Thank you so much for all the input!
  • PRO
    Sonshine Staging & Design, LLC
    11 år siden
    I have heart pine in my 100 year old house. It has been refinished one time and while you may find it beautiful, it is too soft for normal household movement. My daughter is prone to wearing pointy heeled shoes. Now you can connect the thousands of dots on the flooring in her room, the hallway, the next bedroom, etc. etc. It broke my heart to discover holes all over my upstairs. There are great engineered hardwoods out there. I could not recommend mine - it's exotic wood with very little protective topcoat. Therefore, it is easily scratched. I also have real quarter sawn oak in another area and with two coats of polyurethane: it's my favorite of my home's choices. If you're contemplating engineered hardwood, be sure to take a sample home and "abusive" it. You'll be glad you did! One of my favorite quality hardwoods is produced by Max Windsor. You can attempt to beat it up with next to no success. Maple and pecan and hickory are harder than oak, which is harder than pine!
  • PRO
    Old Wood LLC
    8 år siden

Have you finished your project on flooring yet? We make solid wood flooring every day from ponderosa pine and douglas fir sourced from native american tribal lands, among other places. We have made and sold many many floors using Ponderosa Pine, either as a tongue & groove floor, very wide plank, or end grain. All our flooring is kiln-dried and in the last 18 yrs have never had a complaint of cracking, splitting or boards twisting out of shape….and we ship throughout the USA and internationally. The grain and knot pattern in ponderosa pine gives "character" to the flooring. Let's chat.

• User
    8 år siden

2013 thread

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.