mydesign54

Can a tile floor cause your cabinets to be shorter

mydesign54
7 år siden

I had a complete kitchen remodel. Recently, I found out from another contractor that my cabinet height with counter top is not the standard 36" high. My cabinets with counter tops are 35" high. The contractor who did the kitchen remodel is saying it is because of the tile floors put in after the cabinets. That the extra leveling of the tile floor is what caused the cabinets to be shorter. Aren't contractors supposed to take into account the floor and counter top when determining how to install the cabinets so when the kitchen is completed the cabinets should be 36" high? The tile floor extends into the areas of all the appliances

My stove sits above the counter top when it was designed to be flush with the counter tops.

(9) kommentarer

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 år siden

I'm not a contractor nor designer, but yes, the GC should have been aware of the possible difference in floor height and figured it into the cabinet design. Tile under cabinets would be the easiest way to assure this, but certainly other adjustments could have been made. Good that you have tiles under appliances for ease of sliding them in and out. It looks like your counters were already installed, so fixing this mistake may be very difficult at this point.

mydesign54 thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • felizlady
    7 år siden
    Flooring usually goes in before the cabinetry. The cabinet person may not have known you were planning to do the floor AFTER the cabinets. Failure to communicate is the most common reason remodeling is a difficult experience. The cabinets are installed and screwed to the walls, and the counters are in. You can't go back and correct it. One possibility: Go to your counter person and see if there are good sized remnants from your counter material. Maybe he can add narrow matching pieces to cover the openings like mini-backsplashes. Not a look I would care for, but the cheapest correction. The empty gap would be filled.
    mydesign54 thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 år siden

. This is why IMO flooring should always go in first. FYI in your pic it does not appear that the stove is level

mydesign54 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mydesign54
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank all of you for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

I designed my kitchen and knew a head of time the cabinets, the flooring ,etc. I just needed a kitchen designer to draw up the plans and work with the contractor.

Tile was the flooring I wanted, which both the designer and contractor knew before I started this complete kitchen remodel, but I relied on the expertise of the kitchen designer and contractor on how it should be installed, the steps to take.

They made the decision to put in the floor last being fully aware there were some leveling issues and the floor was tile. None of them suggested the floor should go in first.

I read that the highest point on the kitchen floor should be used along with the flooring material height in order to determine exactly where the base cabinets should be placed. Also taking into account the thickness of the counter tops.

If at all possible I would like to know how others address this issue who put in the floor last.

• Sandy
    7 år siden

When we remodeled the flooring went in last to save costs by not wasting expensive flooring underneath the cabinets. Instead the cabinets were placed and shimmed on a cheaper, plywood, secondary sub-floor. I don't know about code in your area, but countertop height in our area was at least 36 inches "to code." Your project would not have passed inspection. Did you take out permits on your project? Check the building code to see if there are regulations regarding the counter height. Not all areas have such a strict building code.

• Kathy
    7 år siden
    You can get 2 pieces of granite approx 6" by counter depth to add under stove edge. They glue it to counter. I have seen black but I Suppose you could get same as counter or something else.
  • PRO
    Beck Custom Homes, LLC
    7 år siden

A flooring back order or material defect may make it necessary to install the cabinets first. Although, I would always recommend laying the flooring under the cabinets when possible (exception, floating wood floor). The cabinets should have been raised equal the flooring selections. If the flooring was not installed, the GC or cabinet company should know to ask about the height of the flooring.

How to fix: I would suggest a raised metal flange that matches the appliance. A metal fabricator can custom make if for you and it isn't that expensive. Installing granite pieces would bring attention to the area your trying to hide most.

• PRO
    Delicious Kitchens & Interiors, LLC
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

Standard kitchen cabinets are 34.5" high without counters. Counter thickness ranges from 3CM for most quartz to 1 1/4" for most granite to 1 1/2" for most laminates, thicknesses for natural wood vary greatly. The debate about whether the floor should go in before or after is a long-standing one... in many situations installers (cabinet people/flooring people) want to be last, often times contractors want to avoid damage to their product. Our company policy encourages the flooring to go under everything and then the cabinetry and appliances go on top, however sometimes that is not practiced for a variety of reasons. In new construction many builders put the cabinets in first, then the wood or tile floor and then use a quarter round moulding to hide the gaps around the perimeter of the cabinets and along the baseboards (not a great look by most standards) and also "shortening" the cabinetry by the thickness of the flooring material. None of that matters at this point... you need to deal with what you're left with.

Regarding your slide in range, I know it sounds obvious but have you double checked that the leveling legs are as short as possible? These usually adjust by twisting.

I think a metal flange is a better "hide" than granite in this unfortunate scenario.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.