a7k9s

Is this kitchen outdated?

a7k9s
7 år siden

If so, what small changes would you make to spruce it up?

(67) kommentarer

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

@steph: I really like those pictures you posted. I think the cabinets are some sort of plastic material, and I have zero DIY skills and am afraid I'd destroy them if I tried to do it, but good things to think about. also love the grout paint idea to try to give it a more even look.

• Steph
    7 år siden

I had zero DIY skills when I bought by condo too. If they are old and you hate them, I wouldn't worry about messing the cabinets up. Shellac Primer will stick to anything. Just need multiple coats and sanding before painting.

• lefty47
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

HI --Don Johnson was in Miami Vice , not Dinglehoff ,oh I mean Hasselhoff . These cabinets will not take a paint because of the finish . Looks like they are possibly high gloss thermal wrap which is like a vinyl type surface over MDF . It is like a shrink wrap covering that should not be sanded .

• Susan Mooney
    7 år siden

Here's what I did with my kitchen. We just love the glass tiles.

a7k9s thanked Susan Mooney
  • Steph
    7 år siden

Funky and neutral.

• Steph
    7 år siden

@lefty47

Yes I know Don Johnson is Miami Vice, but I think the Hoff is more photogenic and has better hair, so there's that. You could hang two pics, one with Don and the other with David, with the caption, "Don't Hassle the Hoff". Don't change anything, just add red accent and the art work mentioned above.

Shellac primer will hold, even to slick surfaces.

• Casandra383 Dean
    7 år siden
    Do you like it? If so, what does it matter if someone else thinks it is outdated?! It is definitely a retro kitchen, but appears to be in good condition. Sprucing it up wouldn't take a whole lot of work.
  • Casandra383 Dean
    7 år siden
    I agree with the others that the backsplash should be the first thing to change, even if it is just a coat of paint on the wall. Painting the cabinets is a large complicated project for your first DIY, and really won't change a whole lot in this kitchen.
    They also make grout paint, you could 'paint' the floor grout white (or another color) to match the tile instead of the dark grout lines.
  • a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you all!! @lefty47: you might be right about the cabinet material...sounds about right.

I like the idea of changing the grout color to a white (current tiles are white with faint gray streams. Would ideally change the tiles altogether, I agree, but have to think about budget).

@kjbjw: those are awesome ideas and I particularly like the orange...Just have to think if we want to go that bold.

what do you guys think about a silver-type blacksplash similar to those below? Would it work given that my cabinets are not matte? Also -- would they install the new backsplash tiles over the existing one or does the original one need to be removed and the new one stuck to the wall?

(color scheme of the above is reverse of mine -- with dark cabinets and light counters)

(this one has a white blacksplash but I feel like it brightened up the space).

• apple_pie_order
    7 år siden

Are you buying, selling, or just wanting a change? Do you have undercabinet lights?

• brickln
    7 år siden

I think it's wonderfully outdated. If I were to change anything, it would be a seamless floor option in white or black.

• clubnev
    7 år siden
    I have those exact same floors I'm afraid. While there isn't really anything you can do, painting the grout white does make a difference. It's not the same as replacing the floors, but it will soften the look of the floors a little.

And yes… these floors WILL get replaced!
  • groveraxle
    7 år siden

a7k9s thanked groveraxle
  • a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

@apple_pie_order: just looking for a change w/o having to overhaul the whole thing

@clubnev: thanks for the juxtaposition! Yes, I think I'm going to get the grout paint and try to smooth out the tiles.

@groveraxle: Thanks for those! How'd you do that?? ; )

• acm
    7 år siden

Photoshop. :)

here's a lighter backsplash. I wouldn't try to paint the glossy cabinets -- those are still plenty in style in a modern kitchen, but the black has to go. I'd be tempted to try to color the black line that goes around, but the backplash will make a big difference, as would stainless appliances.

a7k9s thanked acm
  • a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

thanks so much!

• shirlpp
    7 år siden

The lighter backsplash looks so much better.

• Joanie Cunningham
    7 år siden
    At least change the backsplash to something lighter and modern.
  • arkvillager
    7 år siden

That actually looks a lot like an Ernestomeda kitchen so they are still making that style: http://www.ernestomeda.com/italian-kitchen/emetrica. I think groveraxle's dark floor and bright green accents are stunning and would update the look fairly cheaply.

a7k9s thanked arkvillager
  • PRO
    Lili Fleming-Nieri, ASID
    7 år siden

Definitely a white backsplash in subway tiles or a white stacked stone with allot of texture and maybe a little natural sparkle, and definitely stainless range and brushed nickel modern hardware. I like the wide plank oak floors and with that you might be on the mark for a wonderfully 1970's updated vintage modern.

• PRO
    Alex Design
    7 år siden

I think that the most important feature to change is the floor tile. Everything else can be classified as contemporary but the tiles show how outdated the kitchen is.

• Wendy H
    7 år siden
    I would definitely change the backsplash to something lighter, change the floors to a nice neutral tile with same tone grout, and add hardware to the cabinets. I would keep the cabinets white. if you go with wood floors instead, that would need to be the same wood throughout that level. You can have fun with colour in the accessories on the counter, but try not to have too much out!
  • Ivster Hil
    7 år siden
    I wonder if changing the flooring would help? Many modern kitchens have elements of wood and there is wood vinyl planking that looks real. Is the backsplash easy to remove? Can't tell what it is. But maybe simple subway tile and some clean modern pulls would help. of course it all depends on the style you want. And I agree with the person who asked if you like it?? If you do, then almost any style that is finished well can look nice.
  • Ivster Hil
    7 år siden
    Of course if a real wood floor is in your budget, even better. The photoshopped picture with the light colored wood floor is a 100% improvement.
  • PRO
    GlideRite Hardware
    7 år siden

Adding cabinet hardware will change the look of the kitchen without a huge expense:

http://www.houzz.com/pro/glideritehardware/__public

Please let us know if we can assist you with anything!

Best regards,
    GlideRite Hardware

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

thanks again all!

• PRO
    Flooret
    7 år siden

Vinyl plank would definitely make a big impact at very low cost. If you have $10 to spare, you can upload a photo of the kitchen to this room designer and see how it looks with different vinyl plank options:

http://flooret.esignserver1.com/gallery.do

Here are a couple photos of kitchens with vinyl plank:

Stavern Vinyl Plank Flooring - Wood Grain · Mere information

Client Modin Vinyl Plank Installs - Parkhurst · Mere information

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks everybody for your comments/input. My trepidation with a wood-looking floor is that the adjacent rooms have real hardwood and I think the juxtaposition (primarily in color) would be odd. If we do end up doing the floors (which is an IF), what do you think of (updated) white porcelain tile...like 24x12

• PRO
    Lili Fleming-Nieri, ASID
    7 år siden

May be too much white for the room to do the floors and the backsplash in white, and I dd suggest the white backsplash will justify the white cabinets, (perhaps),, However, maybe a ceramic tile that looks like the existing wood floors? There are allot of ceramic tiles that have a wood grain in them. Not a big fan in general but in certain applications they re perfect! Unless, in this case, if your current wood floors are dark, that would not look good...

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Ok, so I am going to bite the bullet and redo the flooring. Which do you think works best: the light or dark grey tile in this photo? (the adjacent dining room is hardwood, so I'm not going to do wood-looking tile). I fear the dark might make the space look too small. (It' snot a huge kitchen.) I also have a little dilemma: I want to change the tile of the adjacent entryway to the house to be the same as the kitchen tile. Being that the kitchen is to the right of the entryway, that would mean that the length of the rectangular tiles would appear vertically rather than horizontally when entering the kitchen. Is this a huge problem? (hope that last question made sense...)

• clubnev
    7 år siden

They both look nice but if it is a small kitchen, I'd lean toward the lighter. Do the two rooms touch each other?

a7k9s thanked clubnev
  • a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks. Yes, they lead into each other.

• Jennifer Havin
    7 år siden

I like the darker, what do they look like next to your existing adjacent floors?

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

They both work next to the wood floors--just different looks.

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I should add that I think I'm going to change the backsplash to a lighter color (either white or maybe a dusty gray? have to see samples...), in case that matters on your vote for the floors.

• studio10001
    7 år siden

Cheers for a new floor. I think the grey a bit better, and a high gloss option would look well here,too.

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks. You mean the light grey?

• studio10001
    7 år siden

On my monitor,at least, yes.

• everdebz
    7 år siden

Not sure I could pick between light and medium grey. What tone is wood nearby: light, med, or dark? I'd match the depth of the wood.

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Here's the wood in different t lights. Somewhat medium I'd say.

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Also, any thoughts on/solutions to the issue of the rectangular tiles and their positioning on the different rooms (entryway vs kitchen) based on the entry of the rooms? Do I need to go with square? Is square up to date?

• studio10001
    7 år siden

Either can be used. if you go w plank, the floor will simply look a bit more elongated than it does now. I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker.

• clubnev
    7 år siden

If the two rooms lead into each other, it seems you have no choice but to run them the same direction - but I think that would work since your kitchen seems square. I would not go with square tiles. I think they are dated and that's the whole point of your changing the floors - to make the kitchen look less 80's Miami Vice. (of course, this is coming from someone that has 80's gray/mauve on the brain with matching mauve wallpaper to match - yikes!).

• a7k9s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thanks all. I feel better about the tile . Now a question about the backsplash: I was thinking white or white with grey accents to tie in with the tile. But I'm afraid these color schemes (particularly the latter ) won't tie in with the countertops and it will seem odd that I have black countertops at all. Thoughts? Do I need to incorporate black into the backsplash?

• everdebz
    7 år siden

I read what I had missed earlier, and you posted wayfair's stick-on tile. That might be nice. Rated well by customers too.

I guess that idea is gone by now -- are you for sure using grey floor tile? [Backsplash ideas can return after that hmm?]

• PRO
    MetalCoat Tile and Signs
    7 år siden

New tile and a nice backsplash would help a lot. I like the silver hood someone added above the stove as well.

• Bailey R
    7 år siden

Looks like 1990, not 70's.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.