rjenkins123

Roof lanterns good or bad?

rjenkins123
7 år siden
Considering having a roof lantern for a kitchen extension, apart from advertisements which are obviously biased towards them can't really find out much balanced information. I.e pros and cons. Can Houzz please assist?

BTW if we do proceed you may/ may not want to feature our story. A large, period, six bed roomed,three bathroom property in Cardiff ( come on Houzz we really don't see enough of Wales in your features! ) which is too large for the two of us. So we are planning on extending??!! A super large kitchen L shaped and amazing. Hopefully! Thanks for any advice

(7) kommentarer

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 år siden
    There's different types available - for Welsh weather I'd suggest the ones that keep the heat in best !
    So ask about the thermal properties when you look !!
    Avoid the plastic bubble type ones as the rain makes a massive noise under them and they are noticeable colder standing under those !

If you need a freelance concept planner onboard ( who can then submit project to Houzz to feature ) drop me a line ! Kind regards
    Karen
    OnePlan
    Freelance concept planners - selling only design
  • ianthy
    7 år siden

I prefer the roof lights - the flat version. I think it looks more contemporary and stylish. Of course it does depend on the style of your design etc.,

• PRO
    Exact Architectural Glazing
    7 år siden

Hi.

We supply (and fit if needed) aluminium roof lanterns and flat rooflights so are therefore biased towards them but I hope the info below will help you!

Pros

• Fantastic way to improve the appearance of a flat roof extension, providing a striking centrepiece
    • Opens your ceiling up to the sky, maximising light flow
    • Makes rooms look bigger and brighter instantly.

Cons

• Heat loss - of course, incorporating a roof lantern to your extension will result in more heat loss than just a flat roof, the same as putting windows in a room does! Including a roof lantern opens up the room and gives a feeling of space. Our roof lantern system is thermally broken and addresses the issue of heat loss well, with a high thermal performance and overall U-value as low as 1.2 (0.7 with triple glazing)

• Cleaning the glass - our roof lanterns have self-cleaning glass

• Expense - an aluminium roof lantern is perceived as a high value product; we can offer a very competitive quotation!

Other Points (valid for our roof lantern system)

• Solar Control Glass stops sun rays bleaching your furniture. It also improves the lantern's thermal properties.

• Openers for ventilation - these can be included if required

• Our roof lantern has only a 25* pitch keeping sightlines low and unobtrusive. Some lanterns have as much as 40* pitch. We also supply a flat glazed unit if you're looking for a more modern style.

• Slim 40mm rafter bars (competitors products are up to 150mm) and no tie bars

• Subtle design for the external rafter caps

• Quality powder-coated finish available in any RAL colour

Sorry a bit late answering your question. Please feel free to give us a call or email if you want any more info or images for inspiration.

Kind Regards

Keely

keely@xactbp.co.uk | 01428 748255 | xactbp.co.uk

• PRO
    Lifestyleblinds
    5 år siden

We love Roof lanterns but find our customers complain about heat loss in the winter and gain in the summer. We refer them to https://www.skylight-blinds-direct.co.uk/skylight-roof-lantern-blinds-lanternlite.html which is a great company because people can buy their own zip roof lantern blinds that are electrically operated and fit them themselves which saves them £1000's. The blind is called the LanternLITE and is the first blind of its kind that we have found that people can fit themselves.

Here are their details if you are interested 0800 008 6293 sales@skylight-blinds-direct.co.uk

• Houzz-bruger-ID-258134302
    4 år siden

What did you decide on this in the end? We're just about to convert a single storey pitched roof extension into a kitchen and want to either to a vaulted ceiling with velux's or a flat roof with a lantern. I'm concerned about the noise from rain, excessive heat/light and would like to know the pros and cons! Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    Skylight Blinds Direct
    4 år siden

Hi there

the pros out weigh the cons in our opinion as you are bringing light into the home with both roof lantern windows and velux windows. You will need several velux windows to bring light into your extension but only one roof lantern. One thing to consider is that blinds for velux windows are more costly than blinds for roof lantern windows. The main con you will get from your windows is light/glare and heat gain and loss. our blinds are thermal and you can have antiglare and blackout fabric and that will solve that problem. Good luck with the build.

https://www.skylight-blinds-direct.co.uk/skylight-roof-lantern-blinds-lanternlite.html

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.