mdgraczyk

READ ME! I just need one opinion!! Cabinet pull color

Melissa
7 år siden
sidst ændret:7 år siden

Hi there!

We have very traditional honey oak cabinets (I slightly despise them) that I just can't get rid of because they're completely fine and in perfect condition. I am painting walls Farm Fresh green and thinking of changing the pull handles to a darker color. What do you guys think? Our black granite has brown tones so it isn't completely black. I was thinking a dark rubbed oil bronze or antique black. Or maybe I should just leave them brushed nickel?? AH! Help!

**Note about the pic: Valance is no longer there, just a plain cream color honeycomb blind and that oak table has been replaced by a dark brown medium size rectangular table with cream color fabric chairs.**

Thank you!

(36) kommentarer

• Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Thank you! We have a great antique scale that has rubbed bronze.... but that's about it. So if I change my faucet and pendant fixtures I may be ok with dark pulls? I just worry about the granite color and honey oak w dark pulls...

• izeve
    7 år siden

I like the idea of dark pulls in your kitchen. That's what I had in my prior home with the same color cabinets, dark granite and green walls. It looked very good.

Melissa thanked izeve
  • cpaul1
    7 år siden

Wow. It's tough when people show a picture of a design dilemma that is very large (like the color of those cabinets) and then they say they only want to change something very small (like hardware). There is no hardware in the world that is going to fix the problem you have there with those dated cabinets. You would have been better off taking the time and money you spent painting the walls green and instead had those cabinets painted. I wouldn't spend any more money on that kitchen until I updated those cabinets, I would make that the priority. That is the huge elephant in that room and nothing else is going to make it look any better or have any real impact until you address that.

Having said that, in terms of hardware ... if that's what you're going to do next, then I would use a darker oil rubbed bronze hardware with the assumption that at some point you are going to paint those cabinets a lighter color and you could still reuse that hardware. I would also use a combination of knobs and pulls.

• Maureen
    7 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}7 år siden

I would just head to the store and bring home a few metal choices to see how they feel and a modern look is using two different shapes. I've recently added cupped on the drawers and straight handles on the rest and it's amazing how much hardware can update a kitchen. As an fyi: Home Depot sells some styles in quantities of 10 or 12 and they are a lot less expensive purchasing this way. Might be fun to paint your dining set and bar stools black.

• PRO
    Evans Fine Homes
    7 år siden

If you don't like the cabinets...paint them!! This will TRANSFORM your kitchen! Until you do that, I wouldn't worry about the hardware.

• narnelica
    7 år siden
    I think that green would be nicer if it was gray like the floor.
  • dsnine
    7 år siden

I'd go with brushed nickel, myself. Not enough other rubbed metal colors for the rubbed bronze to make sense unless you painted the cabinets and went higher contrast.

• Bev
    7 år siden

The cabinets in my kitchen are about the same color as yours and we have black cabinet pulls that look similar to this:

3" Center Rounded Arch Cabinet Hardware Pull, Matte Black · Mere information

• Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Thank you everyone! So some background. I KNOW painting the cabinets would be the best! I would loooove to! But I have a 23 and 4 month old... So that's not happening. I wanted something cheap and easy for the time being. We just moved to this house under 2 years ago and were redoing the entire kitchen within the next 5 years or so. Soooo I'm just trying to make this kitchen fun and modern-ish as much as I can for now. Thanks all!
  • Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

@izeve what color was your faucet? I am having heartburn about changing our faucet to a rubbed oil with a dark countertop... thoughts?

• Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

@narnelica - my floors are not gray. They're an ugly beige with cream grout. I dislike those also :)

• izeve
    7 år siden

Hi Melissa, the faucet and sink were stainless steel. But we did have black appliances and some black elements in the lighting. The floor was very similar to yours and the walls were light sage green, a bit less saturated than yours.

Can you post some additional pictures of what your kitchen looks like now? It's hard to tell from the pictures you posted and I know you also changed some of your furniture.

• b1016
    7 år siden

One thought about bronze or black pulls is that it may draw more attention to the cabinets. I would leave them as-is since they match your faucets. Is the paint in the pic you posted the new paint?

• Dawn Y
    7 år siden
    I was just looking at a new home on HGTV that they did and the entire home is full of mixed metals!! Actually looked great.
  • Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

b1016 - it is, but its darker in real life. That picture has been edited in Paint. I will post a new pic as soon as I'm finished sprucing up the kitchen. I already love it... and the cabinets are actually growing on me with the new paint color!

• Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

I should also mention the stool pictured is not mine (this is an old MRIS pic from when they were selling the house). Mine are rubbed bronze/beige - and again, eat-in kitchen table is espresso brown/black.

• b1016
    7 år siden

I had your identical problem in a bathroom - cabinets that were too dated and too orange but in such good condition I didn't want to replace them. I also changed the wall color to a green and put in a marble floor with veins of orange, beige, some gray-green and it all came together. I am amazed at how much I love it. I don't even notice the orange anymore! So glad you are liking yours now.

• Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden
    Sorry for the mess... But here's the almost final product. I really really love the hardware... And actually like my cabinets! Last thing to do is change out the faucet. That's on its way!
  • suzyq53
    7 år siden

Looks great!

• b1016
    7 år siden

Wonderful change! The faucet will be great!

• Susan D
    7 år siden

The darker hardware looks terrific and goes beautifully with the granite. I'm glad you went ahead with it. Making small changes helps a lot when you can't make the big ones.

• jck910
    7 år siden

Melissa, new hardware looks great. cpaul1's comments were totally out of line. I had oak cabinets for years in my house that I updated the same way. Not everyone can purchase a home and do a complete remodel. Mine took years to get it where I love it. Life is too short to stress over interior design.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 år siden

i like it too. and what else you will like is that dark hardware doesnt show finger marks. so you DO need to remember to clean them, but you dont need to polish them.

• Jan
    7 år siden
    I don't agree with cpaul at all. There is nothing wrong with the cabinets. A typical spoiled person who thinks everybody has money to burn.
  • PRO
    Knockout Knobs
    7 år siden

Custom Hardware is the perfect solution for your kitchen cabinetry.Knockout Knobs uses 3D metal printing technology to create knobs, hooks and pulls to personalize all your cabinets. We can print in black steel, antique stainless steel, gold, nickel and bronze. Your Passion Your Design Your Hardware

• lulu
    7 år siden
    My vote is for oil rubbed bronze.
  • lulu
    7 år siden
    Ok. I just read all the comments, and saw where you chose the bronze. They look great!
  • Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

Awww thank you everyone - so nice!! I am so excited for my husband to get back from his military training and see it! He's been gone for two weeks and I wanted to do something while he was gone. And yes, cpaul's comments hurt a bit... but hey, I asked for opinions :-D $200 went a long way!

• b1016
    7 år siden

Beautiful! And thanks for his service.

• mcgarvey_ellen
    7 år siden
    I love mahogany stain or paint color as its red black and brown. Especially if you like dark stain.personally I dislike oak color stain.
  • jade713
    7 år siden
    ok I honestly think you should just paint your cabinets and then go from there. but otherwise yes please change the handles to at least make some kind of a statement also I recommend painting your walls a darker green and add some bright red accents to the room, this way the cabinets can stay. oh and PLEASE change the curtains. and whatever you decide to do please take a pic and show us the finished product.
  • jade713
    7 år siden
    besides all that I just said this room does have some potential
  • Melissa
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

@jade713 - please see above comments and pictures ::thumbs up::

• PRO
    GlideRite Hardware
    7 år siden

Hello,

If you are unsure, you can always order 1 piece of a pull in both colors. That way you can hold it up to your cabinets and see what you prefer without ordering the entire amount:

http://www.houzz.com/pro/glideritehardware/__public

Please let us know if we can assist you with anything!

Best regards,

GlideRite Hardware

• abb_ann
    7 år siden
    I would agree that the cabinets look dated however, if you cannot paint them for a while I think you should at least remove the valance over the sink. Also the spindle type rail above the wine rack. Take all those thotche type items off those little shelves at the end of the upper cabinet. Go with the oil rubbed bronze, just pick out something bold and linear. Best of luck.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.