david997

hardwood floors - direction of boards

dave s
7 år siden
sidst ændret:7 år siden

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.

We are renovating a condo for my parents. I have attached the floorplan. The designated areas on the graphic are where we are putting hardwood floors. They are nice long (6') engineered boards in a relatively light wood colour.

The issue is which way to run the boards. I have outlined three options and posted images here:

Here are the floorplans and options (you can view the pdf or the images online - I have tried to make this easy).

Option A is what is usually advised, but my mother worries that the short boards in the halls will not be attractive.

Option B runs the boards across the main living/dining room, and the installer and contractor feel that will shrink the room.

Option C changes direction in an attempt to get the best of both worlds, but a change in direction might look odd.

And what do we do with the bedrooms?

Thanks! Feeling a little helpless because we need to decide asap!!

Dave

(5) kommentarer

• PRO
    Evans Fine Homes
    7 år siden

I would definitely suggest option A. The most important areas (living room, dining room, and master) will have the hardwood running lengthwise which will make the rooms seem larger. I for sure would not do two different directions as that will break up the flow of the condo. Hope that helps!

dave s thanked Evans Fine Homes
  • acm
    7 år siden

If you're not laying floor on a slab, then there must be a subfloor of some kind -- usually you run the boards perpendicular to the joists.

dave s thanked acm
  • dave s
    Forfatter
    7 år siden

We do have these options because it is on concrete :)

• PRO
    User
    7 år siden

I am going to vote for option A, I agree that you will be more satisfied with the look of the living areas and hallway going that direction.

dave s thanked User
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 år siden

Option A is the most appropriate. You have the most amount of flooring being installed along the longest axis of MULTIPLE rooms.

You have 90%-95% of your rooms running East to West...therefore it only stands to reason that 100% of the floor should run "East to West". You sacrifice 5% of "hallway" to support 95% of living space.

Please don't change direction just for a small hallway. It is very odd.

dave s thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.